Posted: Sep 9th 2011 7:16PM Graill440 said

• 1 heart
I was reading the the misbrand options on this title and was like "wow they may be the first true F2P, "no restrictions of any kind" but there are, the worst of all......time, like Stewy says, "And there it is".

Slow is not something you want for your new target demographic, which i would assume is the limited time to play folks targeted by the F2P misbrand. They wont have alot of time to play a "free" game so what your going to do is slow them down even more....makes sense for a misbrand.

Killing chat, and some other things gives you that wtf moment, the story starts out well enough but like any other misbrand out there, they will get the curiosity seekers and then they will leave. The title will then go back to looking for more ways to try and trick folks in to giving them cash...for free! (LOL)

Posted: Sep 9th 2011 7:47PM (Unverified) said

@Graill440

I guess I don't understand what you mean by misbranding. Isn't misbranding stating something false or misleading? How is the most complete list of benefits per subscriber category In one place allowing for easy comparison in any way false or misleading? Everything you need to know is right there in the chart.

Or are you claiming that the term "F2P" as adopted by the gaming community is a misnomer --that the phrase is not a very good description of the financial arrangements between MMOs and their survivors? I would readily admit that F2P does not mean something for nothing. Most people grasp that an MMO has bills to pay and must generate some income. F2P has come to mean a non-subcription based relationship between the consumer and the MMO and some sort of Item Shop in which game items may be purchased for real money (as opposed to in-game currency).

The fact that there is some difference in what MMOs offer under the umbrella of that term is not attempt to mislead, just a reflection that there is no concensus within the community that a single standard exists. It is expected that each MMO will come up with its individual formulation of F2P and the consumer can expect different things as it suits the MMO. A gamer would be naive beyond credulity to expect that a game is literally F2P -- that is simply the industry convention.

Posted: Sep 9th 2011 7:22PM (Unverified) said

OK, now you've scared me. FE has been my relaxing MMO away from the griefers and impolite jerks who don't understand the community aspect of gaming. FE's help channel questions are always answered by someone and people new to the game are assisted, not looked down upon. I would not want that to change.

I wonder about the server issue also, but I am hoping they'll have a handle on it. They are transitioning to F2P much earlier than I thought they would this year. I hope that means everything is under control and not the usual rushing the product out before it is ready.

Oh, and I'll be paying for Commander too. Lol. Along with two extra character slots and extra pet slots and more bank space....

Posted: Sep 9th 2011 7:27PM gravy69 said

i cant belive you totally agree with the 30$ for the commander, this should be clearly 20$ at most, i feel this kinda move will sent an example to other co. out there and mmos are going to be games for the wealthy. this is simply a bad move overall. ive often asked this question when it comes to purchasing things whats easier to give up when buying something
15$ 20$ or 30$ statistically speaking one would quickly give up the 20 because he has spent the 20 dollar bill really with the 15 dollar purchase but to add 10 dollars to the 20 now your starting to dig deep and people begin to think about the purchase, is this price hike really worth an extra month of game time for a mear or small % of buffs. now unless we are like you and just piss money away then i guess people like you wont see reason : (

Posted: Sep 9th 2011 7:56PM (Unverified) said

@gravy69

The value is what people are willing to pay. The Commander category is not for everyone. You can pay your fifteen dollars and get everything you always would have gotten plus a little more. The Commander category appears to be there for people who spend a lot of time in the game and want to lead groups -- instances where those small buffs will make a difference.

You can only control your own behavior not others. You cannot tell the company what price to set or people willing to pay the thirty dollars for the Commander not to pay it. Your only course of action is to vote with your wallet. If you don't like the price, don't pay for it. For heaven's sake we're not talking about life-preserving surgery here. It's not even something you need to play the game. Sheeesh.

Posted: Sep 9th 2011 10:58PM gravy69 said

@(Unverified)

you just proved my point, no one said i was telling the co. to change there price and i do intend to vote with my wallet. trends is another thing you feel like you need that xtra 10% for 15$ more a month by all means go for it. just shows your ignorance of what a true value really is. the thing iam really worried about is the fact as seen from one f2p to the other is pricing period. when one does it they all do it, look at the ridiculous prices of eve onlines cash item, yet others are slowly adapting the same idea's like in aoc.

and besides it seems you work for this co. the way you defend it so well iam only trying to spread the wisdom of the value of a dollar we work so hard for and yet these co. are so quick to throw elaborate pricing just cuz they think its ok. you can honestly sit there and tell me the value from 15$ to 30$ is correct and fair and you support this. there is no way anyone in there right mind that can agree with this. NO WAY in my opinion and this is just mine id agree to 20$ for the commander and not a penny more.

Posted: Sep 9th 2011 8:57PM tooright said

I used to sub to this.

now that it's free I still don't want to play it.

I just don't like crafting enough.

If you do like crafting though you'd like this game alot.

Posted: Sep 9th 2011 11:20PM (Unverified) said

@tooright This. Hell, I LIKE crafting, and pretty much as soon as Icarus was bought out I killed my sub and cleared some space on my HDD.

Posted: Sep 9th 2011 9:10PM blackcat7k said

"The best thing about the way this F2P system is set up is that there is no content that will be unavailable to free accounts. Anyone and everyone will have access to all quests, all areas, all skills, and all missions."

Its a sad day when these aspects of a game, that affect everything from being able to group effectively to having a character that is useful to group with are considered amenities instead of something to be expected regardless of if the game is Free to Play or Pay to Play.

Posted: Sep 9th 2011 11:42PM Budukahn said

@blackcat7k

So true, yet so common.

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 5:11AM scfs123 said

Wow great article.
I'll be checking this out when its free for sure.
Thats so few limitations o.o

Posted: Sep 12th 2011 1:53PM arodriguezc said

I am a current subscriber and will most likely continue playing 14.99. I love the crafting and just ridding my bike looking for nodes and harvesting. Every once in a while I go into a town to put stuff away in my bank slots, sell my junk and buy some gas for my bike. I love the fact that as weird as it may sound that I play this MMO as a loner, but I welcome the sight of new and more people into the game.

I always thought that the FE community is one of the best communities out there. They are helpful and respectful, I know it will stay that way because the kids will leave as soon as they realize there is no end game raiding or carrot to follow. I think the F2P option is really good. I want to know what the currency cap is going to be like but I like the fact that they are not limiting your experience in the game. I would just recommend that you please buy something from the store (couple of bucks a month will do) in case you like the game, this is as a way to show gratitude and help them pay the bills.

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM