Posted: Sep 9th 2011 10:16PM drunkingamebar said

I almost gave this game a try awhile back, I started the DL, went watched a movie came back to see what percentage it was at, and... Lol I had 3 day's left.. Umm no thanks! :)

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 3:40AM Unverfied B said

@drunkingamebar

GL and HF with SW:TOR when it comes out... it's a bit bigger than istaria :P

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 4:08AM drunkingamebar said

@Unverfied B I don't have a problem with big DL's, I have a problem with slow DL's. WoT took like 55 minutes to DL while I was watching netflix.

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 12:27AM (Unverified) said

First MMO I ever played, more than seven years ago now.

It was pretty terrible then. Maybe I should take a look and see if they've made any improvements.

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 12:35AM Space Cobra said

@(Unverified)

I never played it when it came out, but I heard it has improved. The only problem is it has a relatively small staff/studio atm.

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 12:48AM firestem4 said

@(Unverified) It's also the first MMO i ever played. Biggest problem I had i think was NAT, I couldn't see a friend I was playing with and he couldn't see me (during the beta) Game had some very unique things even to this day..I havne't played it seriously but i've had the game installed for a long time.

Also the music in the game is fantastic!

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 6:31PM Graill440 said

@(Unverified)

Heh, i was there, pretty horrible lag, invisible mobs, an entire revamp of what was intended just at launch.

Dragons were supposed to be a resource (i played one), the original idea before whats his name got cold feet was to make the game pvp and make dragons a resource for rare mats and items for crafting, dragons had the same option, kill player for better mats to improve items, something alot of folks were waiting for, it never came to pass due to some poor advice and even poorer choice to follow that advice.

Interesting the game is still alive. this game also had a multiple billing fiasco like a couple other titles, i had to actually sue to get a few months of fraudulant charges back.

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 7:02PM (Unverified) said

One thing I'll say about Istaria (well, Horizons as it was called back then): I have never since, not in seven years MMO gaming, seen anything like the guild collaboration involved in building buildings. Lower level people mining, high crafting skill people using the materials to build, dragons ferrying materials between the mines and the building site. That was unique.

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 12:28AM Saker said

Last time I tried it a few months ago had tremendous lag issues, made it completely unplayable for me.

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 6:11AM Dumac said

I gave it a try, thought it was so wonderfully old-school. But i stopped 'cause it felt deserted.

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 9:27AM LaughingTarget said

I remember the massive scale collapse this game went through in the initial development phases. How grand and ambitious it was, developers selling cars to keep the company going, etc.

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 12:14PM Saker said

@LaughingTarget I remember that well! It had tremendous ambitions originally that haven't been fulfilled by -anyone- to this day. Not that that's necessary saying so much given the stagnant level of "innovation" these days in this genre. Then there was the terrible ugly drama of the betrayal/takeover, etc. All very ugly, very tawdry...

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 10:13AM pcgneurotic said

I haven't got a clue what you lot are on about; I've been dipping in and out of Istaria for years - no problems downloading, no problems staying connected, no problems finding other players to group with. The game looks great for what it is, and plays beautifully too. Get a grip people!

Posted: Sep 10th 2011 11:16AM MMOaddict said

I tried it a few weeks back. I struggled with the controls and just trying to strafe, jump and move down a mountain path. I quickly uninstalled when I realized this game needs a major control/ui overhaul. I'll play it when they fix THAT.

Posted: Sep 11th 2011 8:24PM Jorev said

Good game but unplayable because of the people who operate it.

It's basically a group of friends who both play and run the game, and they make up rules as they go along and ban anyone who doesn't do as they say.
Example : Buying items from the NPC vendor that the elitist guild has listed below value in a socialistic attempt to aid newbies, will get you banned because it is deemed disruptive. True story, amazing as it sounds.

Posted: Sep 11th 2011 11:48PM Jenks said

The original concept for this game was really interesting, there were a ton of playable races. Besides dragons there were giants, vampires, angels, demons, sea people (lamurians I believe), bug people, etc. When it finally came out, it was a shell of what was originally teased.

This game (and David Allen himself) was also probably the biggest punching bag for Lum the Mad once it was announced.