Posted: Sep 8th 2011 5:02PM (Unverified) said

"As announced in the featured matrix, the playable Klingon faction content will not unlock until a player has at least one Federation character at level 25 (Lt. Commander 5)."

Level 25 is Commander 5. Lieutenant Commander is levels 11-20.

#corrections

Posted: Sep 8th 2011 5:06PM Edge of Blade said

I'm glad to see the F2P move here, but I have a small suggestion: Free players have to play the ground-based missions while paying users are exempt from them.

Here's hoping STO survives this revenue-starving bout of Pon Farr.

Posted: Sep 9th 2011 12:34PM StClair said

@Edge of Blade
So I'm guessing you don't like ground missions, even with the Season 4 changes to combat?

Posted: Sep 8th 2011 5:09PM The Grand Nagus said

Good article and interview. However, suggesting that the content drought is "debatable" is just silly. Its understood that that term is in reference to official, Dev made content, not Foundry missions. So the Foundry really has nothing to do with that(not to mention the fact its been very broken recently).

But anyway, I'm looking forward to F2P and all the benefits it will have for the game =)

Posted: Sep 8th 2011 7:01PM mg127 said

would be good to know for how much the credits are limited to
im just LC 6 and have my 13,5 mio credits. would be bad to know that i will loose money if my account goes to silver status

Posted: Sep 8th 2011 8:02PM Darknessau said

I just hope Perfect World kick Cryptics butt into gear and get them to finally fix LONG TERM bugs, im so sick of the decloak bug to name only 1 !

Posted: Sep 8th 2011 9:05PM Yukon Sam said

I'd like to see more meat on the subscription side of things. There's got to be highly-coveted features behind a pay wall to pull people into supporting the game, and more focus on community building to retain them there.

Posted: Sep 8th 2011 9:48PM (Unverified) said

There does not seem to be as many incentives to subscribe in STO as there are in CO.

But I'm a lifetime subscriber to both, so it's all academic to me.

Posted: Sep 8th 2011 11:12PM (Unverified) said

I played this game for six months and I could just not take it any more. The crafting sucked. The ground combat was horrible and the space travel was complete crap. The lore is great, the game sucks.

Posted: Sep 9th 2011 12:24AM Solar Jetman said

@(Unverified) If I started the game at launch I'd agree with you. But I started this summer after Season 4, and for some reason I love it. Over 150 hours so far.

Posted: Sep 8th 2011 11:35PM tororosso said

i bet turbine was pulling their hairs when they heard Perfect World was buying Cryptic hahaha.

f2p will further dominate MMO scene and more surprises will pop up for next 12 months.. (more games going to f2p) great to be pc gamer right now.

Posted: Sep 9th 2011 7:25AM Royalkin said

@tororosso

Oh how wrong you are. You must understand that in the grand scheme of things, these games are not free, they have never been free, and they will never be free. "Free to Play" is a linguistic slight of hand. While the game may be free to download and technically free to play, they are not fun for those players choosing to play on the "free" side. Companies usually gimp this side of their games, and makes things so difficult for their players they will either drop some coin to "ease" their suffering, or they will leave. The company doesn't care whether you pay or leave, since when players who don't pay leave, they aren't out anything.

The really irritating thing is that we use to get all the crap that is in the stores including in a subscription fee, but people just can't stand paying a $14 monthly subscription, but are fine with spending $50 per month on gold ammo? I'm sorry but that's stupid.

An analogy, if you don't have much money and you are hungry, would you rather go to an all you can eat buffet for $10, or would go to a restaurant which features the same exact food, and pay twice that amount or more for a smaller meal, in which the items are priced individually? No, you wouldn't.

Games were far better when monthly subscriptions reigned. F2P is an illusion catering to the idiocy of modern consumers.

Posted: Sep 9th 2011 1:22PM Azules said

@Royalkin Not sure I agree with you here, looking at the feature matrix for star trek online, barely anything is changing for free players to subscribers now. I'm currently subbed, and I'm switching to free to play. I don't make my own missions in the foundry, and I don't want to run a fleet, where exactly is the game gimped or overly difficult? exp is even the same.

Maybe you should have read the article.

Posted: Sep 16th 2011 2:22AM Royalkin said

@Azules

It wasn't necessarily an attack on STO, but rather the entire F2P business model.

Posted: Sep 8th 2011 11:41PM tororosso said

this game will also see a huge jump as it will probably be seen on STEAM
client just like Champion's online

Posted: Sep 9th 2011 12:22AM Solar Jetman said

@tororosso It's been on Steam for a long time. That's where I got my DD copy for $5. ;)

Posted: Sep 9th 2011 7:13AM Royalkin said

• 1 heart
So Star Trek Online is going free to play. Another game that just can't hack it screwing people with micro-transactions...

This game is a turd, but does a free turd have any additional value? No.

Sad.