Posted: Sep 7th 2011 7:43PM Graill440 said

The big question that has to be answered by bioware. My brother asked this, he plays *cough* WOW. He may or may not have come by the last weekend and saw something he shouldnt have, but the question deserves a look.

Words to the effect,

"Although it looks (insert content here), and i see and like alot (insert detailed content here), but i do not see anything to pull me away from WOW."

i sat there for a sec and thought, as much as i did not want to hear that it did make sense, and every single comment by him was very positive on what he was seeing, even stating he was impressed.

Bioware has to overcome the above question, regardless of how nice and new something looks, that time invested thing that all WOW users have and the "thing" that will pull them from one paying sub to another. I am going to be interested in the answer myself.

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 8:08PM Wild Colors said

@Graill440

Yeah, the amount of time the community as a whole has sunk into WoW is phenomenal, and leaving that all behind for a whole new world isn't going to happen quickly or easily, even if that world is better.

This is the problem I had with Rift. A lot of my WoW buddies started up accounts on Rift while keeping their WoW accounts active. Not enough of them stayed, so I eventually canceled my Rift sub for lack of a community. WoW has become the comfort food of MMOs, and that's a powerful thing.

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 8:17PM Janitor said

@Wild Colors same thing. everyone i knew left for RIFT but one month later back to wow. its their comfort zone.

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 11:46PM sortius said

@Graill440 I don't think they're trying to pull die hard WoW fans away from WoW. Most of us old school WoW players have already left to play other more interesting games. We're waiting with bated breath for something that's not another fantasy MMO that plays like WoW.

Sure there's going to be similarities to WoW, but after Rift completely missing the mark IMO, I'll be happy not to have a fantasy MMO.

Looking at launch, and looking at how things are set up from the start not to pull players in, but to retain subscribers is probably the smartest thing I've heard come out of an MMO team. So many MMOs these days launch, ignore the cries of die hard MMO players, then wonder why no one sticks around for the first content update.

IMO, small, incremental content updates are smarter than expansion packs... but that's just me.

Posted: Sep 8th 2011 10:53AM (Unverified) said

@sortius

Actually I played WoW since Day 1 and have taken 2 breaks. I started RIFT Day 1 as well and seriously think that the Soul System in RIFT beats out anything out there but SWG pre-cu. I love the flexibility it gives you to try out different things depending on what you do.

As mentioned though, SWG pre-cu had the best system IMO. That's just me though.

Posted: Sep 8th 2011 9:37PM (Unverified) said

@Graill440

tbth ive never known a WoW player in the last 3 years who wasn't looking for something else to play.

so, with that in mind, i guess anecdotal evidence is anecdotal ? . .

Posted: Sep 13th 2011 8:06PM (Unverified) said

@Graill440

Well, the biggest thing it has is its IP, which, ill admit, is the reason I'm looking forward to it. I love star wars, ever since i saw the movies, and the only reason i ever stopped playing SWG was the NGE patches.

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 7:46PM Equillian said

@Ren54

More bile brought to you by Ren54!

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 7:53PM remeran said

@Ren54

Lol, here we go again.

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 7:58PM Utakata said

Perhaps this a good sign. In that EA doesn't want SW:TOR turning out ot be another Warhammer.

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 8:04PM Jade Effect said

@Utakata

You mean there are MMO companies who want their games to turn out to be like Warhammer Online?

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 11:36PM Utakata said

@Jade Effect

Putting Cryptic Studios aside...

...I believe I was referring to that MMO companies will unlikely want to make the same mistakes that lead Warhammer to a fizzle despite it's spectacular promises at the start. Knowing what WoW and Blizz are up to is a good start.

Thugh in all honesty, Blizz's current direction with that game...I doubt EA will having anything to worry about. Thus I would also encourage that EA also focus on SW:TOR in making it a polished product when released. Ask Trion how that worked wonders for a little known IP...it should work far more wonders with an IP that has Star Wars attached to it. Just saying.

(EA may also want to keep a close eye on Guild Wars 2 too.)

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 8:04PM ChaosInc said

I can sum up Ren54's comments for everyone so that he/she/it can spend more time trolling other game sites:

"RIFT 4 EVUH!! EVERY OTHER GAME SuX0RZ!!"

Now back to your regularly, non-trolled discussion.

Glad to see SW:TOR is keeping an eye on things. It's smart business. However, I've learned to not give into they hype; Every super-hyped game to date has fallen on it's face, save for Rift. Unfortunately, that game has taken a downward spiral from "Awesome challenging gameplay" to "Let's cater to the forum whiners and WoW kiddies and dumb the game down to where my 4 yr. old can wtfpwn face with my 1 button cleric", so it'll soon join the ranks of flopdom, at least for me.

Posted: Sep 8th 2011 3:05AM Utakata said

• 1 heart
@ChaosInc

No it hasn't.

If you're going to counter trolls, try not to use strawmans...it just makes you look every bit like like an idiotic troll that Ren54 is. Just saying.

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 8:05PM Allegos said

Day One: We have a plan! WoW with lightsabers! It'll print money!

Day One Thousand: Omigod omigod omigod they can't keep subscribers either what do we do omigod omigod omigod omigod

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 8:11PM real65rcncom said

You don't hear companies talking about this PRE-launch which is very rare. Most are concentrating so hard on getting it out of the door that they don't think far enough ahead as to what might or could happen with subs.

Most usually are so bent over the launch, then go into "Yay for our team" mode if they make it through the first month which is kinda dumb. If you are making mmos you should be in it for the long haul always doing this so I'm glad Bioware is doing exactly that.

It really is a good sign they are talking about this openly instead of deflecting questions. That shows they have a lot of confidence in this product.

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 8:15PM real65rcncom said

@Ren54
Ren, you kinda fail at pretty much everything needing a comment from what I can tell.

EQII was launched the same exact month as WoW was. Derp.
Anarchy Online was already three years old and established.
Planetside was released just one year before WoW.
DAOC was three years old and going strong.
EvE online.. one year old and growing.

What do you mean WoW only had EQ as competition?

Seriously, what planet are you from you keep pretending you know about video games?

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 8:22PM (Unverified) said

@real65rcncom

Also Asheron's Call and Ultima Online sitll had large player bases.

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 8:24PM slickie said

As far as I'm concerned, developers can make one of three types of MMOs at this point.

1. An innovative and unique title that turns the MMO genre on its ears
2. A fairly enjoyable WoW clone
3. A terribly grindy and rushed disappointment of a game

I avoid Type 3, and I play Type 2 while I wait for Type 1.

While I wish ToR could have been truly genre-redefining, at least it's not likely to be Type 3.

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 8:41PM jslim419 said

@slickie

innovative is always a subjective word. what is innovative to one person is the same ole same ole to another. especially in gaming with fanboy's. for instance a lot of people thought, and still think WoW is innovative. however try telling that to any EQ, or DAoC fanboy however and you'll have a flurry of tridents thrown in your direction. at the same time those same fanboy's will gush over anything not WoW-like even if what new stuff it brings to the table isn't very entertaining for long.

i could create the most "innovative" game in the history of MMO gaming, but have a theme park style of questing and the fanboy's would come out of the woodwork labeling it "WoW in _________"

WoW Archivist: A Glyphmas story