Posted: Sep 7th 2011 5:21PM BigAndShiny said

I found that visually the game world was nice, but there were never any 'wow moments where the scenery is spectacular ala guild wars 2. I found that overlooking the deep mountain valleys, wide grasslands or massive cities in Conan was more interesting. I'd rather games either have massive worlds of if not, have skyboxes like SW:TOR or AoC/ Mass Effect where even if the zone is say small, the world feels huge. If coruscant was portrayed in Rift style it would be 3 small skyscrapers.

The world was full of life, but so small. It was ridiculous when questgivers talked about the 'epic journey to sanctum' when I can jog there in 3 minutes and about 'running around the city' when it consists of a dome and some shacks around the edge.

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 5:22PM BigAndShiny said

@BigAndShiny
Oh yeah, and about 'raising an army' when the game has about 200 citizens.

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 6:35PM reathorn2010 said

@BigAndShiny

I'm not sure what game you were playing but RIFT has impressed me from day 1. Granted, it took me until I got my new video card to really appreciate it, but it's miles beyond almost every other MMO out there in terms of lush environments, etc etc.

Also, out of all the games you listed, only one is a current MMO.

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 7:21PM hereafter said

@BigAndShiny

Hmm, you got some flak, but you're right. The game is great graphically, but the sense of bigness isn't quite there. Here's hoping they're able to make an expansion that can broaden the scale somewhat. Might be a little top-heavy because of how starting zones work, but it would be great if they could just double the size. Since zone stories don't really tie together that tightly, they can probably get away with doubling up on each level range and giving people a choice of where to go, which would also help keep it from feeling linear and confined.

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 10:03PM Gaugamela said

@hereafter

It's not a question of doubling the zone size. Zones in Rift are actually pretty huge. It's just that the architecture of the buildings, the layout of the landscapes doesn't make those zones feel huge. At least some of them.

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 5:46PM tephys said

Rift really does have a tiny world. I was genuinely surprised at how small Sanctum was when I first saw it. It's can't even be considered a city. It's more like a palace.

I've resigned to see Telera more like a Disney theme park than Azeroth, which felt like a real world.

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 6:27PM reathorn2010 said

@tephys

Absolutely not. WoW these days is one of the smallest worlds around due to flying mounts and flight paths. RIFT actually takes me time to move around and I enjoy it a lot more because of it..

Did you play the demo until level 7 or something?

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 6:37PM tepster said

@reathorn2010 I have several 50s actually. The world feels bigger because you move around slower? Sounds like they should've excluded all forms of mounts then.

There is a comparison on the webs that compares all the mom worlds. Telera is literally less than half of one of the continents in WoW.

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 6:38PM tepster said

@tepster that's meant to say, mom, and Telara.

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 6:38PM tepster said

@tepster ugh..mmo..long day.

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 10:19PM (Unverified) said

@tepster

Is this the comparison you mention?

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 11:14PM Nepentheia said

As I commented a few Choose My Adventure threads back, you REALLY want to be able to do ranged AoE damage if you want to feel real satisfaction from doing invasions.

I am addicted to invasions, and being able to explodernate big herds o' planar MOBs with my Cabalist abilities is extremely satisfying.

Cabalist is a must-have!! :-)

Also, in time, you'll come to realize that you can--and should--have roles which focus on certain types of combat, be it solo-questing (something which has a good single-target, some AoE and self-healing focus), or rifts/invasions (lots of AoE damage and group healing), or dungeon/instance encounters (for instance a role for plowing through a bunch of trash-MOBs and a role for healing while your group takes on a single-target boss). And having the ability to switch between roles makes for a very empowering gaming experience.

As for RPing on Faeblight, the Half-Birthday celebration seemed to have preempted that a bit, distracting away from the usual banter from folks--and instead they were trying to take advantage of all the goodies they can get from the celebration. You should start seeing things settle back into the normal groove of things in Meridian, again. Also, check the tent outside the front steps to Meridian--a lot of RPing seems to go on in there.

Posted: Sep 8th 2011 10:16AM Leandra said

The Warden is ranged, by the way -- it's a healing soul with several range dps spells. I think maybe you have it confused with Justicar, the tanking soul.

Posted: Sep 8th 2011 3:20PM Leandra said

Sentinel too -- healing w/spellcaster abilities.

Posted: Sep 8th 2011 7:18PM (Unverified) said

Warden isn't really ranged -- it's a healing soul. With that said, though, its 0-point Waterjet is a spammable instant-cast spell that does amazing damage for what it is. In a rift, I'd suggest swapping your 0-point soul to warden, then just standing back and spamming waterjet at everything you can. That gives you a ton of contribution.

At level 17 you "should" have at least 2 builds now -- 1 for your leveling, which generally involves mostly dps souls -- in the case of a cleric some sort of "icar" (Justicar as 2nd soul with 11 points in the soul for the passive heals to self and group). Main soul is usually druid or shaman for the melee minded, or inquisitor for the caster minded. the 2nd build you would then make either pure dps or pure healer for use when running dungeons. TBh, I'd suggest healed and go with Purifier as much as you can for the 1st few dungeons. Purifier is a single-target healer and in the 1st few dungeons if someone other than the tank is taking damage then something's gone very wrong. In later dungeons you'd want to change this around, though, as you'll start to need more AE heals later on.

Sticking with a single role for the sake of this article really gimps you in your playing, IMO. go buy all 8 souls and play with some combos yourself and make that experimentation part of your experience. Locking yourself artificially to a single role or type of play is NOT what the game's about. I often change roles 2-3 times in the course of a single dungeon, going from pure caster dps, to melee dps/support heals, to full healer and back. And I've got a tanking role I can swap to in a pinch too, though tbh I should just dump that for a 2nd healing role. I've got a warrior if I need to tank ;-)

Posted: Sep 11th 2011 3:50AM Haldurson said

@(Unverified)
I totally agree with your assessment of roles -- If you insist on sticking with one role, you are missing out on a large part of what makes the game flexible and fun.

Having several roles is not mandatory, especially if you only solo. But if you ever group, regardless of whether you are talking about pugs or guild groups for dungeons, or open grouping for invasions and rifts, then you will be gimping yourself by sticking to one role.