Posted: Sep 6th 2011 2:36PM real65rcncom said

• 1 heart
what about the ships someone created at launch but quit after two months of play?

Will they be open to FTP like the characters in Age of Conan, or does a FTP have to start a brand new character?

If they do get to use their old ship, how much of the items on it are "restricted"?

Posted: Sep 6th 2011 3:07PM (Unverified) said

@real65rcncom

Did you go read the FAQ?

Posted: Sep 6th 2011 5:22PM Caerus said

@(Unverified)

The FAQ does a terrible job of answering his question, because it doesn't explicitly tell you what happens to the things you had, just that they're "no longer accessible". What happens to my full stable of bridge officers and nearly full bank/bags if I convert to silver? What happens to my extra ECs (money, which it says silvers have a limit on just like in CO)?

I expect this conversion process to be similar to CO: if you had it before, and silvers don't have it now, you don't have it anymore. There's nothing at all like the Turbine policy of keeping bags/trait slots unlocked if you were a former subscriber - you're either a paying subscriber or you're a free player.

Posted: Sep 6th 2011 3:03PM (Unverified) said

Looks fair enough. I'm surprised FTP aren't allowed to use the Foundry though. It would seem like the ability to at least create missions should be available to everyone since it has a potential to benefit the game as a whole.

Posted: Sep 6th 2011 3:09PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

That's probably more because with it being F2P, it would get completely flooded. I haven't done the Foundry, as I quit playing the game after around 2 months after launch, but may load it back up when it goes F2P just to see how it is going.

Posted: Sep 6th 2011 3:12PM WonderPenguin said

@(Unverified) The foundry missions take up a ton of disc space, as do the characters...I think that's why these are two of the prominent limitations.

Posted: Sep 6th 2011 3:33PM (Unverified) said

@WonderPenguin

Good point. I guess the cost of data space and maintenance would outweigh the benefit of having a handful of good missions available for the community. Oh well.

Posted: Sep 6th 2011 3:34PM Renko said

Seems a big improvement on the Champions Online F2P model.

"If you have already unlocked access to any C-store items, including playable species, you will retain that access in the free-to-play transition."

I'm surprised the above statement wasn't given more prominence as it was the only thing concerning me.

Posted: Sep 6th 2011 3:34PM smartstep said

• Half a heart
Bad game by going f2p is not becoming a good game , so I will pass.

Posted: Sep 6th 2011 4:38PM (Unverified) said

@smartstep
but it isn't a bad game anymore :(

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 6:42AM Protoavis said

@(Unverified)

It's not a good game either though

Posted: Sep 6th 2011 3:37PM ployer said

As a Lifetime Subscriber i am very happy I am getting a free 400 cryptic points a month

Posted: Sep 6th 2011 4:47PM Lucidus said

@ployer Same here. I was kinda dreading getting hosed buying lifetime. Now I think I've come ahead with a newfound ability to get some monthly fluff.

Posted: Sep 6th 2011 3:39PM dudes said

Send this back in time to when the lifetime subs were offered. Ooh, ow.

Posted: Sep 6th 2011 3:39PM Ocho said

So... playing as a Klingon now won't be unlocked until you hit level 25, which is a big raise... and Emblems/Marks will now be converted to "Dilithium". Also, dilithium will be needed to purchase ships instead of energy credits or tokens. Interesting two bits there.

Seeing the cash shop stipend of points for subs is great, too, although in the matrix it says "400 Promotional Points". Promotional points? Any idea what they are in comparison to Cryptic Points?

Posted: Sep 6th 2011 4:05PM SargentWild said

@Ocho

Cryptic points are (currently) for Champions purchases. Apparently they don't want to mix the currency. Guess I'm not supposed to buy STO's stuff with my Champions sub' stipend. Not sure why it would bother them. They have one subscription from me. Why should it matter if I waist it on a few ships for the free version of STO? I guess all the greed at Cryptic was not do to Atari.

Posted: Sep 6th 2011 4:19PM SargentWild said

@SargentWild

I forgot that STO uses Cryptic Points too. I guess they are looking at separating them. Or it was just a typo. FAQ actually uses Cryptic Points in it's description.

Posted: Sep 6th 2011 4:58PM WonderPenguin said

@SargentWild While I understand why they would, I hope they don't. I often use my left over points from one game to pick up something in the other.

It keeps me looking at both games too, so it makes sense from a business stance, imho.

Posted: Sep 6th 2011 5:27PM JohnFordColey said

@Ocho

You should also remember that STO currently has many different types of currency. The devs have been talking about simplifying the economy, so Dilithium could be the end result of that work.

Or it could be a new name for Cryptic Points. I'm only speculating.

Posted: Sep 6th 2011 5:34PM Caerus said

@Ocho

The monthly stipend points you get from a subscription to STO and the monthly stipend points you get from a subscription to CO aren't usable in the other game. Only the points purchased directly from the store can be used in either game.

They might merge the two point pools, but I really doubt it. As fun as CO is, the Cryptic approach to F2P is very unappreciative to former subscribers. Turbine actually makes me want to play their sub-par games as a secondary game that I drop cash on here and there because of how valued I feel as a "sometimes subscriber" and it makes the Cryptic model very hard to support.

I really want Cryptic to succeed, largely because they spent the time to have an engine that can run well on low-end computers or laptops with crappy onboard "video cards", but their F2P approach is so blatantly greedy it borders on offensive.