Posted: Sep 7th 2011 11:28AM Lenn said

Yeah, the explanation makes sense.

What doesn't make sense, however, is the fact that when we Euros signed up for a chance to beta test the game two years ago, nowhere did it say "you can sign up, but tough chance getting in, because we'll be focusing on NA testers mainly, with a few token Euros thrown in for good measure. The lot of you will have to wait till the very last minute to even be considered for beta, but we'll probably find a way to postpone even that indefinitely. But pretty please, do play our game, k?"

Had they been upfront from the start, this wouldn't be the shitstorm it currently is.

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 11:32AM Seffrid said

Given this game's history, I'm setting aside some time in 2013 to play the launch.

I just hope it turns out to be a half-decent game after all this time!

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 12:00PM Br0ckout said

Well this sucks...

I don't see why us UK players can't get it at the same time as our friends across the pond. Same client just different servers...

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 1:22PM Lenn said

@Br0ckout Apparently, it's because "traditionally" US retailers stock on Tuesdays, and EU on Thursdays or Fridays. BioWare/EA claim it's out of their hands. Which is strange, because on the TOR forums many people claimed going into their local game shop to ask about this, and many got this simple answer: "We don't have set days to release games. We start selling when the publisher says we can." So, it's in BioWare/EA's hands after all.

Not game-related, but still apt: I once went to a dvd store to get the collector's extended edition of Return of the King. It was on a Tuesday. The guy behind the counter was right in the middle of unpacking the boxes. I said "I'll have one of those". His reply: "I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to sell these until tomorrow." "But you have one in your frigging hand right now!" "Sorry, can't do. They'll have my head. Come back tomorrow." So I just asked him to put one aside for me, which he did.

As for the client, I think everyone's getting the exact same client anyway, so geographical location is a non-issue.

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 2:29PM NeoWolfen said

I don't know why folks keep making out they are lying to us or telling us half truths etc...

They (well in this case Chris Collins) explained very clearly why our EU testing had been delayed for the time being and it was a very good and understandable reason.

Also I mean I hate to be the bearer of bad news but even when our Euro testing begins everyone will NOT be invited. It is still a lottery.. More will get in beta than have previously but that by no means means most or all, indeed most of us will still be waiting until headstart to try the game.

Is it disappointing sure, but we also need to cut them a little slack if we want this game within the 2011 they have given us.

Posted: Sep 8th 2011 1:16AM Lenn said

@NeoWolfen "and most of all remember Testing is a privelidge not a right, we all have no more chance of being accepted than the next person. noone is more entitled than the next."

That's the whole point: EU players never had equal chance of getting into the beta. Which in and of itself isn't necessarily bad, if only they had been upfront about it from the start. I think this lack of communication is what has a lot of people riled up.

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 2:34PM winterborn said

The SWTOR's community is so bad as it is I would hate to see it when other cultures are mixed in : (

The game still needs allot of work guys.

Posted: Sep 7th 2011 2:40PM winterborn said

It is very much a Co- op version of KOTR with WoW gameplay added. Cyber is right the story's are "Ok" but not great, I find myself space bar'ing past the dialog becuase I just dont care about it.

Overall it is enjoyable enough.

Posted: Sep 8th 2011 4:17AM NeoWolfen said

I am an EU player I don't feel denied because the reason they gave for the testing invites not going out was a good and sensible one. It would be wholly different if they said you know what we just arent going to bother with EU because we have enough U.S testers to cover all the bases but they didn't.

What they did say was testing isnt going to happen because we had some issue and there is a new build about to hit..now if we let you in when we'd planned you download a 27gig (compressed) client only to have to do exactly the same again a couple of days later when the new build hits, which would be silly. Also the new build includes localised files so those no English speaking French and German testers can actually test in thier own language..so instead were going to postpone EU invites temporarily and wait until the new build hits.

Of course its progressed a little further now and plans may well be changing all round..but the above is why they cancelled the EU invites and it is a very good and as I said reasonable reason to do it.

I want in testing same as everyone else, but I've been waiting almost 4 years for this game a few more days or weeks isn't really going to make much more difference in the scheme of things.

EVE Evolved: EVE Online vs. Elite: Dangerous