Posted: Sep 5th 2011 12:11PM Celtar said

• Half a heart
I see it as a bad thing, more reinforcement of the mindset that you don't need to dedicate yourself to anyone thing, group, goal. Feeding into the ADD mindset that media and many push as the norm now a days. Diminishing the social ties and interaction between those who might get together to join a group/kin/guild/house what ever term you want to use.

Everything becomes less when you do things like this. Also as a side note the amount of chat/info flow from belonging to multiple guilds will be a nightmare if you ask me. Human nature being what it is, most will "want to" try to keep an eye on what is going on in all groups they belong to. Information overload translates to less involved in any one group.

Posted: Sep 5th 2011 12:51PM DarkWalker said

@Celtar
It's a game. And a game that is doing what it can to enable players to be as casual as they want.

There will be less PvE gear grind, no PvP gear/level/skill grind (every character who gets to the Arenas is bumped to max level, with all the skills, and the standard/best equipment), no need to assemble raids to tackle big bosses and get their rewards (the events happen, everyone get a chance to participate even if he isn't in a group, and the lot is earned individually), and so on.

I don't think dedication is expected of the player base. And, sincerely, I wouldn't play a game where dedication was a requirement to have fun.

Posted: Sep 5th 2011 2:34PM Irem said

@Celtar
The "ADD mindset" makes it difficult for me to focus on finishing writing assignments without my mind wandering, or on finding my house keys if I lose them. I guarantee that it's never been responsible for making me want to change guilds.

I know you probably didn't mean anything by it, but it's troubling to see how often ADD is used as shorthand for impatience, shallowness, obnoxiously childish behavior, or lack of dedication.

Posted: Sep 5th 2011 5:32PM Mikx said

@Celtar

Thats kind of crazy. People in WoW now feel trapped in their guild because they earned perks in the guild and now dont want to leave even though the guild no longer meets their needs/isnt fun/some key friends arent as active.

the way gw does it, you can have your longstanding friends, and you can have people who meet your play needs when your friends arent on.

Posted: Sep 6th 2011 3:19PM (Unverified) said

@Celtar

I think the major failing of MMOs today is making too much content for dedicated corps like the ones you seem to be used to that try to get all their members "focused" on a crazy goal. The reality is you're fighting an uphill battle because most players don't want to have a second job. They want to invest time to achieve a sense of accomplishment, but not at the cost of having to invest so much time that their real life obligations suffer.

That being said, provided the group goals in GW2 are achievable with a reasonable amount of incremental work, this shouldn't be a problem for the vast majority of players. The real issue I see is that this makes it much tougher to implement guild based awards in a traditional fashion. The flip-side of that is it's easy to rectify.
Any reward that benefits all members of a guild become locked to that guild. IE, portal systems like RIFT'S rally flag, guild halls, guild faction etc.
Add rewards that benefit players participating as part of a guild. Guild Dungeon completions offer individual rewards reflecting that accomplishment, individual faction based on guild events, achievements, etc.

Personally, I see it as a boon. I have lots of old friends that play the same games I play, but often, I'm not as hardcore as they are and end up behind or at "different" places in the game. Guilds end up getting in the way of teaming up with them to accomplish a goal. However, if we just had our own guild, I can see us working together more often even if at the moment they're pursuing goals with another guild.

Posted: Sep 5th 2011 12:13PM DevilSei said

The human element will always be the most confusing part with this, and as you said someone saying "Oh, sorry but I'm going with Guild Y to do something right now" could cause some drama. Then again, drama is about as inherent to social interaction as the ears on an Asuras head. You'll never escape it, whether you allow only 1 guild or 10 per character.

To me, its great. If my friends happen to join another guild, I can hop into it as well as the one I'm in currently. The only downside I'm seeing so far is possibly the restriction to just 1 chat channel for the player with guilds. I'd like to see us being able to at least have two running at the same time, and allow me to switch between chat tabs, that way I'm not blocked out.

Posted: Sep 5th 2011 2:52PM Irem said

@DevilSei
A lot of the controversy over this has been similar to the arguments over allowing players to hide their online status. It's game design that acknowledges what people are actually like vs. game design based on "shoulds" (you -should- want to spend all of your time with your guild, or why are you in it? You -should- have no problem with your friends seeing whether or not you're online all the time, or why are you friends with them?). I'm all for kicking the "shoulds" under the rug and admitting that sometimes social interaction is more awkward and complex than that and can benefit from all the options we can give it.

Posted: Sep 6th 2011 3:27PM OrangeGamer said

@DevilSei I feel similarly. I don't know how many of my actual real life friends will join GW2, but it's nice knowing I have the option to be able to play/participate with everyone.

Posted: Sep 6th 2011 6:18PM Acharenus said

@Irem couldn't agree more.

Posted: Sep 5th 2011 12:38PM BigAndShiny said

• 1 heart
You shouldn't be able to join multiple guilds. A guild is like a community. Sure, in life we have multiple social groups, but in life we have 24 hours in a day and seven days in a week.

In a game, most people will only put in a few hours a week.

Posted: Sep 5th 2011 2:41PM Irem said

@BigAndShiny
I don't think that's a good reason at all to not give people the option.

A system like this exists in Final Fantasy XI and it works out just fine there. Most people pick one linkshell/guild and stick to it, and make visits to other shells when they have different activities to do. It takes a lot of the pressure to be "all-in-one" off of guild leaders or risk losing members, and allows people who might want to mostly hang with a group of friends to join up with others from different parent guilds to do stuff that requires a more focused approach (like endgame).

The only thing that worries me is influence, because I'm afraid it's going to just end up enforcing a single-guild system anyway through peer pressure (i.e. "Why were you off doing dynamic events with your RP guild when you know we need the influence to get guild perks?!").

Posted: Sep 5th 2011 5:13PM (Unverified) said

@Irem "he only thing that worries me is influence, because I'm afraid it's going to just end up enforcing a single-guild system anyway through peer pressure (i.e. "Why were you off doing dynamic events with your RP guild when you know we need the influence to get guild perks?!"). "

I just got finished blogging about the multi guild topic, and I mentioned this in there: is anyone going to stay in the dramatic guild of mandated exclusivity? I certainly wouldn't. Finally, the player is logistically encouraged to weigh the guilds they join as much as the guild weighs them. To be fair, if people want to be exclusive, they can join the exclusive guild, but those that aren't cool with it don't have to.

It may very well end up being the case that exclusivity isn't so "influence profitable", and more influence can be obtained in a lot of small bites of interest, as opposed to demanding exclusivity of the perhaps outnumbered subculture that will demand it.

Posted: Sep 5th 2011 12:47PM Utakata said

I'm not quite sure what the issue is. Playing WoW for many years, you could roll alts that where free to join any guilds that where not their main with impunity. Or free to join none.

So let me ask:Is this about one player character joining as many guilds at once, which would be something wholly radical. Or is it in the original GW, you could only join one guild per account...and ArenaNet are doing away with this in GW2, thus getting up to speed with something that is common in most other games?

Posted: Sep 5th 2011 3:38PM Eamil said

@Utakata

In Guild Wars 2:

A) Guilds are account-wide
B) You can join multiple guilds.

So yes, you'll be in multiple guilds on the one character.

Posted: Sep 5th 2011 4:24PM Utakata said

@Eamil

*Imagining the stacked names of various guilds above each player characters' heads. "Nice wall of text you got for a hat there bud."*

...then I can see that having a number of issues. Which I suspect most would be centered around more confusion rather than loyalty. I'm not sure this is a good idea. :(

Thanks for explaining that Eamil.

Posted: Sep 5th 2011 5:14PM (Unverified) said

@Utakata You can only "represent" (display, gain influence for, Gchat with) one guild at a time.

Posted: Sep 5th 2011 5:16PM Randomessa said

@Utakata

You won't wear all your guild tags at once. You choose which guild you are "representing" at any given time, and that will be the guild chat you have access to for that duration.

Posted: Sep 5th 2011 7:03PM Utakata said

@(Unverified) & Randomessa

Oh okays...I guess ArenaNet did think that one ahead. Thanks...that least addresses name tag clutter issue I was to my horror envisoning for crowded areas. :)

Posted: Sep 5th 2011 12:54PM DarkWalker said

I have been asking for the ability to be able to interact with multiple guilds for a long time in suggestions forums on MMOs I play. I wholeheartedly support being able to join multiple guilds.

Posted: Sep 5th 2011 12:56PM tepster said

I don't see the point of having guilds then. Why not just open chat channels. For a game called Guild Wars, they seem to be diluting that term now.