Posted: Sep 3rd 2011 8:20PM Fakeassname said

holy hell is it a clash to go from the new screen shots in that gallery to the old ones.

I was kinda thinking "I guess it looks ok ... it is an old game after all and there is only so much they can do>"

then I got to the old picks and was savagely reminded as to what the game currently looks like and now those shots are looking really damned good.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2011 8:42PM DevilSei said

@Fakeassname

I can't quite remember, but isn't this update only covering areas and the like, not models? I remember reading something along those lines way back when they announced it, but can't quite remember what article and where...

There's probably going to still be a bit of clash then to say the least if that is true, because I've played the game and I've seen the environment and character models, and whoo-boy...

Posted: Sep 3rd 2011 8:51PM alucard3000 said

@DevilSeiI heard Its character models as well.But I wouldnt hold my breathe as it seems it has been talked about since 2005 or maybe earlier as I am too lazy to track down the quote beyond this forum link:http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showpost.php?p=3621994&postcount=5

Posted: Sep 3rd 2011 9:06PM DevilSei said

@alucard3000

Ahh, well then that's good. I hope they are still going along with that then. I'll agree though, with how long it seems to be taking, I think all the major work is being diverted to AoC and now Secret World.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2011 9:20PM Nyghtsaber said

@DevilSei

"Looks too Asian."

This was a common refrain months and months ago when they released some "heads" of the new models. They were referring to the Atrox (the bulky genetically engineered asexual race). They did look a bit "too asian", hehe. It made for quite a bit of levity.

But I only bring this up to assure you guys that YES, the character models are being redone as well as the environments. However I don't think they are updating the animations however, which are quite dated.

AO was originally being transferred to the Ogre Engine in 2008, but was then totally scrapped and they decided to use Funcom's own Dreamworld Engine instead, hence the long, LONG delay. Honestly the game is really impressive and I've played on and off for years. But to me, with SWTOR getting released soon and the fact that this "facelift" is only cosmetic, this is all too little, too late IMO.

Also the AO dev team is only a very few people at this point. About 7 or 8 people at any one time, so it's taking forever to get this released and even then there won't be much in the way of new content. But I wish them well and have very fond memories of this game. It's old school difficult and has a massive learning curve and lack of themepark features, but if you get passed all that, there's a gem of an MMO in there somewhere! :)

Posted: Sep 3rd 2011 9:21PM CHUIX said

• Half a heart
vaporware

Posted: Sep 3rd 2011 10:00PM Fabius Bile said

@CHUIX
applied to a game that has been running for 10 years?

I do not think that means what you think it means

Posted: Sep 4th 2011 7:06AM Khai mann said

@CHUIX

I R TROLL

Posted: Sep 3rd 2011 9:50PM tepster said

I thought Funcom abandoned this game centuries ago. 0.o

Posted: Sep 3rd 2011 9:59PM Lateris said

They were rewriting the old engine and decided to use the dreamworld engine. Looking forward to it!

Posted: Sep 3rd 2011 10:37PM real65rcncom said

Still going strong.. Grats! (one of my first mmos way back when)

The next time you guys see someone on a forum say, "All mmos die eventually", please slap them for me.

More innaccurate words have never been spoken but oft repeated.

Posted: Sep 4th 2011 11:57AM (Unverified) said

@real65rcncom

As young as the genre is, neither of you can really claim to know what you're talking about.

Posted: Sep 4th 2011 1:16AM Janitor said

I might actually check this out but by then I will probably be playing a game that is in beta that I am playing that I cannot "say right now".

Posted: Sep 4th 2011 1:21AM kaelidancer said

Oh Anarchy Online, how I love you. :) I still play quite AO quite often, it's been my "comfort food" MMO for a very, very long time. Every time I go back it always feels like home.

Great to see some new screenshots of the engine - Tir's gonna look pretty swanky! Too bad I'm neutral and will be shot if I visit :D

Posted: Sep 5th 2011 7:18AM ClownyDaggers said

@kaelidancer

My first MMO too!! It'll be great to finally jump back in and see all the new shiny stuff.

Then I'll remember that all there is to do is farm hecks.... but it'll be one hell of a fun 2 hours leading up to that :)

Posted: Sep 4th 2011 3:07AM mysecretid said

I've said here before that if Anarchy Online can update its graphics to the point where they don't make my eyes bleed, I'd be happy to go back and play. I always loved the unique flavor of that game and its world.

Posted: Sep 4th 2011 6:45AM Vistrix said

The soundtrack to this game was awesome.

They should make this game completely free (e.g. expansion access) to give it a fighting chance against the other MMOs these days.

Posted: Sep 4th 2011 7:31AM Tatsuk said

@Vistrix

Or at least the Shadowlands expansion, even if just to the point ot replacing the blocky original UI with the smooth new one. I'd drop in on the game a lot more if I weren't charged just for wanting a nicer interface.

Posted: Sep 4th 2011 9:14AM Vormir said

This game can be a nice new home for the SWG players when they feel nostalgic.

AO was my second MMO back in 2000, unfortunately I burned out after playing daily, plus working as a Bug Hunter for the QA Team.

Good old days :)

Posted: Sep 4th 2011 1:37PM HereticalPenguin said

I hope the new engine still works on my ancient machine I use.