Posted: Sep 2nd 2011 3:46PM Pingles said

@SnarlingWolf

SnarlingWolf said "They have to make money, therefore those items in the store will be necessary to buy, therefore pay to win is inevitable. Only greedy cheap people are demanding F2P games."

Friend. You need to go pick an F2P and install it. I think you have the whole concept backwards. Only a handful have put "necessary" things in the cash shop.

In fact, the old school F2Ps were all just outfits and mounts.

It was when the big companies decided to jump on the F2P bandwagon that we started getting stuff like paying to unlock content or debuffs where the only remedy was in the cash shop.

I have played 20-30 F2Ps as trials. To test them out. I have stayed long enough in three to give them money in their cash shop but EACH was voluntary. In one I never even spent the money. Just wanted to show my appreciation for a good game (Zentia).

Posted: Sep 2nd 2011 2:02PM Dril said

I'll probably give them a few squids just for the concept, but I'd hate if it just turned to be another Mortal Online...

Posted: Sep 2nd 2011 2:11PM Apakal said

@Dril

Calamari is delicious. Send some my way. I've already got the cocktail sauce.

Posted: Sep 2nd 2011 2:11PM Apakal said

@Dril

Oh, and make sure it has baby octopi. Those are the best!

Posted: Sep 2nd 2011 2:20PM Twitchy5 said

@Dril
Definitely agree, the problem with mortal online is that there was no direction and too much space too explore. Those are two things I hate most in a game, and it is recreated in so many MMOs, and if they can fix that part, I'll give them something.

Posted: Sep 2nd 2011 2:35PM Vunak said

its a full loot FFA pvp game.

Though the devs said its primary focus isnt PvP, since they want to make a true sandbox experience. Now what does that all mean? I suppose we will see if it ever gets past this phase of development.

I have to say that the dev's do have good idea's and are smart guys just by looking at there outlook on certain things. Such as the guilds blog. I wish them luck in the adventure they are sure to struggle through.

Posted: Sep 2nd 2011 3:15PM Pingles said

I have poked around that website/forum enough. I can't find ANY description of the game.

Can someone link to a comprehensive description of their goals?

I am very happy to donate to a good cause. But I'd like to make sure I believe in what they are doing.

Posted: Sep 2nd 2011 4:57PM Pingles said

@Rob Steele

A fascinating read. Very lofty, seemingly impossible goals. I applaud your clear vision.

My biggest concern is the play environment. I have no problem with FFA PvP but I worry if a game insists on players policing the griefers. I understand that this is a "pure" sandbox solution but lawless griefers, while a bit rare in real environments, seem to thrive in FFA PvP games. I don't think it's unreasonable to have games to compensate for that imbalance.

In other words, I steer away from games where the majority of forum answers are "just join a Guild!"

Again, I applaud the clear direction. It's just not the direction that I wish to go.

Posted: Sep 2nd 2011 3:55PM Xidian said

I knew Rob personally about a year ago, and I'd back anything that he sets out to make.

I plan to donate to them, and yes the community ASKED for a way to donate and a way to do it monthly AND a way to do it yearly. Then the developers gave them that option.

Posted: Sep 2nd 2011 8:37PM alucard3000 said

Well best of luck to you and hope for the best but sorry I dont even like to buy finished games these days with out a trial 1st so there is no way in hell I am putting money towards an unfinished one.Maybe you should sell stock options in the game.
Did Xsyon ever release and those that paid upfront with a promise of 2 months paid time after release are they happy with the game?I ask because I havnt heard much about that game recently and the last time I did I dont think too many wre too happy with it.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2011 2:18AM Unverfied B said

@alucard3000

It released, the release was horrible, those who bought the game got like 2.5 months free, it still flopped and no one plays now.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2011 2:10AM Unverfied B said

Will it be yet another crappy FFA PVP Full Loot griefer paradise or are they actually planning to create a real sandbox game?

Posted: Sep 3rd 2011 2:16AM Unverfied B said

@Unverfied B
Oh heh i actually went to their forums and....

Guess it's another crappy FFA PVP Full Loot griefer paradise, i'll pass.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2011 1:13PM Ziglug said

Good thing Massively never gives us links to things like the page where you CAN DONATE. Sorry I just click all the fake links massively puts in every day...

Posted: Sep 5th 2011 10:08AM Tiran Kenja said

It does sound like a really nice concept I would likely enjoy to play.

But it also sounds like something that is never going to get done. Especially if they have no good way to fund it.

As I read the vision. The plan is to make a sand box that does "everything" in a very complex manner. And just getting some of those mentioned ideas to work great it going to take quite a bit of work. And having it all work together is not going to be simple either.

I've followed projects like this before with cautious hope. But so far none of them have gotten to a state where people can play them.