Posted: Sep 1st 2011 10:05AM Twitchy5 said

I'm interested to see how this plays out. I've always wanted to play this, but I hope it doesn't turn out like APB, where they say, "Oh don't worry everything is gonna be fine, we aren't gonna change the pay system much, AND we're gonna add a lot of cool stuff and fix everything that was wrong.."... and then... well, you know the rest.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 10:52AM Lateris said

They already have the store so it makes sense. The game has come a long way in a positive direction. The combat changes fit very well into the game.

Did they get the merging of all the space maps into one map yet for testing?

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 10:53AM Oskiee said

@Lateris

No they havent.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 11:02AM Kerbion said

I won't touch it again until they completely overhaul the ground combat. I loved the space combat, but anytime I had to head to the surface of a planet I hated it. The ground fighting is the worse combat I have ever experienced.

I bought STO at launch, and played for 2 months. As long as I was in space I was happy, but the ground combat was the most pathetic, most untested, trash of a feature I have ever experienced.

It was stiff, boring, and unresponsive.

You look back on the series and a fire fight was always pretty cool, and fast paced. They missed that by a mile with STO.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 11:08AM Lucidus said

@Kerbion um... ground combat was upgraded a few weeks ago...

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 11:33AM Yellowdancer said

@Lucidus

Hey, about the ground combat. I played the tutorial and it felt the same. Does it change after the tutorial?

I like the space combat so I will play just for that and the ships. I like D.Stahl. Good leadership.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 12:37PM ployer said

@Yellowdancer There is a key you use to change between ground combat modes.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 2:45PM dudemanjac said

@Kerbion Yeah. you can switch to third person shooter mode now.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 5:53PM Protoavis said

@Lucidus

While technically true it's really not that different, zooming in with the sniper is fun but the ground combat is still pretty much the same however you try and paint it.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 2:43PM Kerbion said

How was it "upgraded" does it feel more like an FPS?

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 11:40AM (Unverified) said

I absolutely love that they are taking STO into the hybrid pay model. Hope it really works out and draws a ton of people in, cause i know for certain im going to be bringing about 10-15 people with me when it launches Free to Play.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 11:45AM Space Cobra said

Well, while we are only getting Stahl's word on it (but he's a great guy in my book), it does sound that things are positive.

They sound happy. Perfect World sounds happy. No word on CBS, but they've probably been informed and kept up-to-date on all exchanges, so they probably are fine with this.

It's a good little game. I play it every so often. The space combat is still aces, but I need to try the new ground combat.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 3:50PM Lateris said

@Space Cobra NO doubt! Since he took lead the game has really improved.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 12:46PM smartstep said

Really I don't see this game succeding much. There is so much things broken with it apart of ground combat...

It will be relatively big increase of players after f2p kick in ,at least for first months as any new f2p , then it will have to face competition from all other f2p games + new titles that come in 2012.

Their shop is already incredibly extensive and they are p2p , I just can imagine how horrid it will be in a f2p especially after some time.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 1:03PM (Unverified) said

STO cash grab ROUND 2 !!!!!

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 7:46PM Equillian said

@(Unverified)

HAHAHAHA!!!

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 1:16PM Sente said

Good news - it was bound to happen, but good to see that it did not take that long after the acquisition to take this route.

Prices for existing items will very likely be the same or lower - it would be very difficult to raise prices. The question is rather what they might add and what people may need to pay extra for if they do not have a subscription.

And nice to see that my screenshot was used for the article ;)

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 1:30PM (Unverified) said

it makes you wonder what was left out of season 3 to make way for f2p. My worry is if f2p doewsnt get the traction PW wants they will gut the dev team. If they can buck the instancing for a more open world feel it would really bring alot of people in

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 1:52PM wookiehole said

too many instances for my taste.. i like a more open world. STO feels like a single player game reather than a MMO..

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 3:23PM DoctorSmart said

@wookiehole So, what you're saying is that it's just like every other major MMO out there. MMO's nowadays all rely on heavily instanced content, especially for endgame, whether it be raids/battlegrounds/arenas/everything in GW/phased content(just another way to disconnect players from each other)/etc.