Posted: Aug 31st 2011 2:20PM kaelidancer said

UWO is a pretty neat game, and a whole lot deeper than it seems on the surface. The freekin' mandatory chat filter, though, keeps me from enjoying it. Chat filters are fine so long as you can disable them.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 10:09PM Standamongst said

@kaelidancer It seems like fun, but is there any mandatory boring, tasteless ground combat between exciting ship sailing?

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 4:23PM (Unverified) said

Darkfall also has ship building!

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 12:23AM kaelidancer said

There isn't, in fact. And even naval combat isn't *mandatory*, so long as you can catch the wind and get out of range, which I've always been able to do.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 12:29AM kaelidancer said

@kaelidancer Oh my. This was meant to be in reply to Standamongst, above. Sorry!

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 11:11PM mysecretid said

Can anybody give me their take on the strengths and weaknesses of this game, please?

I'm curious to try it, but I've been warned repeatedly about asian-made F2P MMORPG games (grindfests, pay-to-win, extremely feature-crippled unless you have deep pockets, et cetera).

Is this game actually worth a try?

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 12:28AM kaelidancer said

@mysecretid I found it to be a lot of fun. My advice for those who have been "warned" about the asian F2P games - is to try them for yourself :) They're free after all.

UWO seems very simplistic on the surface but quickly becomes very deep as you get into it. It's not very graphics-intensive, and it's easy enough to pick up an have fun. If you've enjoyed 'tradewinds' type games in the past you'll find a lot to like here, plus a whole lot more.

That said - the graphics are cute and anime style. I don't necessarily consider that a con, but some people do, and feel it takes away from what is otherwise a relatively accurate historical game. And the aforementioned chat filter - it can't be removed, and is as quirky as chat filters often are, so just communicating sometimes can be an issue. I have played many many games I would classify as "grindfests" but I wouldn't count this among them.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 8:50AM Boojum said

@mysecretid

I've tried a lot of Asian style grinders, F2P and otherwise, this game isn't like any of them.

Think of an anime set 'sometime in the renaissance era' (as in excuse or overlook all in-game historical inaccuracies) and then turn it into a trading/sailing MMO with a mainly economic, political and naval battle focus.

There is grind, but it isn't of the 'kill ten foozles - collect ten foozle hides' variety.

This is not a wow-style mmo in any shape or form. It has a slower pace but is quite enjoyable up to a point.

The cash shop doesn't have much in it, xp tokens, get out of pvp free tokens etc. nothing too horribly imbalanced.

Worth a go if you're tired of the normal stuff, it does things differently.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 11:54PM nhat said

@Boojum The reason why because its made by Koei. They have been around since the 80s making games historical strategy game like Romance of the 3 kingdoms, etc.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 11:57PM nhat said

@nhat Also just because the Japanese are asians, don't generalize. I don't go around saying all white people are fat or all black people like chicken, etc.

Posted: Sep 8th 2011 2:51PM mysecretid said

I only got back to this thread now; my thanks to everyone who responded with their opinions.

Interesting that someone mentioned Koei, and the original single-player UW game, because I played that aeons ago, and enjoyed it. It's what piqued my interest in /this/ version.

Thanks again, everyone!