Posted: Sep 1st 2011 1:01AM Yukon Sam said

As long as the game continues its excellent record of communicating with players and improving upon an admittedly skimpy launch, I can utterly disregard freeloaders.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 1:21AM nomoredroids said

Cryptic's financial model seems to be to sell subs until players realize the game stinks, then go F2P and hope people think the game gets better if you pay for it.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 2:23AM MercShame said

nooooooo! im a lifetime member! damn wast of money lol

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 4:19AM hereafter said

@MercShame

Based on what happened to Champions, your lifetime membership will likely remain a lifetime gold membership, while anyone not paying will be silver. So I don't think anything will change aside from new players getting STO-lite.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 2:16PM MercShame said

@hereafter ok cool, thanks.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 2:34AM pcgneurotic said

Well, we knew it was going to happen at some point, or could have at least made safe bets on it. May as well go ahead and do it. Personally I'm thrilled; one of my favourite games is now free! Admiralty, here I come! :D

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 2:51AM smartstep said

• 1 heart
Well game had item shop from beggining so it was just a matter of time.
Same thing gonna happen to TSW.

Besides STO is a bad game. Does not really matter if it is P2P or F2P.
Still a bad game.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 11:46AM Ardra Diva said

@smartstep
At least now it will be fairly priced :)

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 4:37AM BubleFett said

Thank you Perfect World thank you.
You truly are Perfect.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 6:15AM claytondora said

Awesome. I can't wait to give it a shot. That box price and sub fee was getting in the way.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 7:59AM SwarlesBarkley said

I played it at launch and found the space battles fun, but that only lasted so long and soon it was just way too repetitive for my tastes. The ground battles were just awful. Did they do anything about ground missions since launch?

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 10:40AM phatbhuda said

@SwarlesBarkley

Yes, they revised ground combat. You can now even go in to a sort of third person shooter mode. The pace of ground combat is greatly accelerated even if you use the standard MMO target and press your weapon and ability keys style.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 8:39AM Kaahn Stewart said

Who called it?

*points to all the comments* All those guys did.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 9:15AM heerobya said

Thought it was interesting during trial, might give it a go if it goes F2P before SWTOR comes out or if SWTOR turns out to be not my thing.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 11:45AM Ardra Diva said

@heerobya
All they really have to do is give people explorable ship interiors (I mean real time walk thrus) and the ability to group together on a ship and go somewhere together, and it will blow TOR out of the water.

I ain't holding my breath though. Still remember the puddles of urine forming beneath the seats of the devs when the community cried out for explorable ship interiors, and it was very apparent it was something they never intended to offer, and would half-ass if they ever did it.

Still wonder how Galaxies could give you so much more than these new space games do.

Why do we always take steps backward in MMOs anymore?

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 9:22AM (Unverified) said

oh woohoo,always wantd to try this game out,7-14day trials just arent enough to get any good solid opinion anymore.

hopefully it has a healer class and some kinda tradeskills,love to do either

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 9:23AM Malagarr said

Glad to hear this. I enjoyed STO, but simply not enough to justify keeping an active subscription. Being able to jump in once in awhile and play sounds appealing.

I also think there is a lot of financial gain to be had in F2P models. Obviously I'm stating the obvious, since the numbers already show this, but it's easier to get someone to dump $5-10 on stuff for a character they've played for a week or two in an F2P game then it is to get someone to cough up the initial purchase price and/or monthly subscription fee for an MMO. When STO goes F2P, I'll definitely log back in and check it out. And I'm apt to even buy a couple of things off the C-Store. But I am not apt to spend $15 just to get a chance to play for 30 days again. I suspect a whole lot of people feel the same way. Which is what I believe leads to F2P models being so successful.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 9:50AM EdmundDante said

I'm so excited - just can't hide it. I'm about to lose control and I think I like it.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 9:50AM Lorell said

TBH I've always wanted to play STO coz I really love Star Trek, unfortunately I'm playing and enjoying other sub MMO and spend most time there. In my eyes paying 15$ for some time in STO per month was too big.

I didn't wish STO to become F2P, but since they will become, I hope I'll now have a opportunity to jump once for a while into game without worrying that my 15$ is too much for like few hours a month.

(PS. I though STO players "knew" it was coming since Cryptic was bought by company-who-produces-F2P-mmo).

We will see that will happen next.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 10:40AM rockman0 said

Guess I"ll be trying it out now. I wasn't about to pay for this game and the other game I"m playing.