Posted: Aug 31st 2011 12:34PM Space Cobra said

Just to comment (Okay, WHY did I say, "Just to comment"? I mean, this IS a comment section! ;P ).

I feel that Carbine taking the Bartle system and applying it more fully within a game while it has such a system as their guidepoint is a pretty neat and amazing concept. I know other games do it, but they don't think about all the bartle paths and tweak things for those players. I feel that is innovative right there.

As for gameplay mechanics... I know everyone is looking for "something new and different" and I am certainly not an exception to this, but there is only so much "totally different" gaming one can bring to the table. Look at Single-Player games/RPGs: While a few titles do "wow" us with innovation (like a Katamari Damacy), most keep with the basics. You have an HP bar, attacks take of damage from the bar, maybe you have a mana bar, etc.

There are many innovative things out there right now, but they tend to be indie-produced or small studio. I can think of a few neat things to bring to the table, but my life's work is leading me elsewhere (sadly). I've played some pretty different games and seen the masses scratch their head and go, "Huh?" at it and not buy or support it. (And really, this can be the same in the Art world). It's a fine line, but it's a line that needs to be crossed and experimented on, even the supposed failures, and that's hard to do in a capitalistic economy.

Maybe the solution is for every MMO company, especially major ones, to make one "indie" MMO title that would be done by a small staff at first. And when I mean "different" I mean "totally off-the-wall". I am not even talking about the promise of GW2; so all you repliers, lay off the "Try GW2" button here. Actually, there are a number of wild and experimental single-player games out there that could be adapted (but longterm playablity needs to be thought of).

You want something "different" but what do you want? Beau has an excellent view of this: Fun is Fun. You can be in a game setting or someplace totally different, but still have fun (like that socks game). People all too often say they want something different, but when you take away all the trappings one is used to, like an HP bar or UI or even game graphics, people balk like some computer from the old Star Trek TV show and the words, "Does Not Compute" seem to fill their brain.

You gotta embrace crazy/different to get those unique concepts and games.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 5:23AM hereafter said

@Space Cobra

There's something to be said for pushing stylistic boundaries as well. The same pieces, arranged differently and given a unique coat of paint can be better than what inspired them.

It's a little like music. So many bands out there use the same instruments and on a fundamental level, have all the same notes to play around with and arrange into songs. Yet some bands really stand out. Most don't invent new instruments or languages to play their songs, they just come up with the right mix of sounds that feel fresh and appeal to large crowds. Likewise, an MMO can use a similar foundation or pieces as another, but still do extremely well. That's how it seems to me at least.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 12:10PM StClair said

@Space Cobra
Fully agreed. I always remember that there was very little that was completely new about Star Wars - just that particular combination of familiar elements from (film) history, and placing them in a "used future" setting... Flash Gordon with some tarnish on the formerly shiny rocket ships.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 1:04PM Mikkhail said

Count me as one that feels a bit intrigued by Wildstar ... yeah, I do agree that I will have to see the business model before I get excited ... but I, personally, do like the art style in the context of being a fun, light-hearted type of game. I am going to keep a watch on this one to see where it goes. With heavy hitters like SWTOR, GW2 and TSW coming soon it will be interesting to see how this fares.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 1:13PM Lenn said

@Ren54 Maybe next time you should read the text that came with the pictures before spazzing out.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 1:20PM Loki1 said

• Half a heart
@Rubi

i've always wondered, how can it be massive if the player scarcely co-oped with ONE single horrid person?

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 1:22PM Mikx said

Do we know if it has the trinity with tanks and healers? It almost seems like the Paths are providing a different way to group with players (make sure you're playing with someone from each path to see more content).

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 4:48PM Shazzie said

I am interested in this game... even though I see that bunny girl and feel nothing but irrational hatred.

PleaseOhPleaseOhPlease let there be human females, and let them not look so absolutely ridiculous. Please. My Bartle-score ESAK self wants to play.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 5:34PM Utakata said

@Loki1

The game is in pre-alpha. So put a sock in it.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 6:00PM Ordegar said

Rubi, I didn't catch if this will be a lobby based game like Dragon Nest, or open world gameplay?

I like both types for different reasons, but I know some people are turned off by the lobby type instanced game.

I loved the trailer for this; it was fun. The game itself we'll have to wait and see; it's still early after all.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 9:27PM Seldra said

@Ordegar Since Rubi hasn't responded, I'll say that you'll encounter players as you play in the open world.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 12:17PM (Unverified) said

I loathe the system in CoH where you can't move while your char does it's big "AHM GONNA SMASH UUU" attack animation. Not even interrupt it to get out of the bad. Glad that this game is at least taking the middle road. Hope it gets changed to running while attacking though (a bit like WoW :p).