Posted: Aug 31st 2011 10:08AM PacketBurner said

Looks absolutely great, as soon as this is free to play (sure their cash shop will live forever) and they take facebook requirements out of their ARG (i know i'm buddy no mates but hey thats me) i will be there in a flash.

I was so admimant i was going to post the old "this sub+cash shop nonsense still being released) but the screenies somehow lightened my mood, looks great, shame about the business model.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 10:44AM Beags said

@PacketBurner facebook is not required now. the signup page gives you two choices.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 11:17AM PacketBurner said

@Beags
Thanks for letting me know, might sign up later and have a look

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 12:01PM Boojum said

@PacketBurner

They say you still enter the beta invite pool by giving them your email address when signing up for the newsletter or if you took place in the old personality test but that's a bit of a crapshoot so far as I can tell.

Only way to earn a guaranteed beta invite is through playing their ARG that requires FB Connect.

Check it out if you don't believe...

So if you definitely want in it's still a case of Facebook or gtfo.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 10:16AM Nerves said

Seems almost too good to be true - and what's this about new puzzle challenges on a weekly/monthly basis? I've never heard of anything like that before. Also as a point of clarification, there will be NO player collision in PvE zones. (There will be Player/mob collision everywhere, though)

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 10:23AM Tom in VA said

I am interested in this game, as I am in GW2 and SWTOR.

If all three games were released simultaneously, I'd probably play the one that was the most solo friendly -- assuming I could figure out which one that is. SWTOR maybe?

The whole puzzles/research aspect of TSW is a bit of a turnoff for me, I have to admit, because I hated -- HATED -- Myst and games of that nature. I guess it really depends on whether these TSW puzzles/riddles are reasonable or not.

By the way, a lot of solo-oriented players (like me) love MMOs. You Massively folks ought to consider adding an occasional feature or column examining various MMOs from that perspective. I know I'd follow it closely. :)

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 10:48AM Lenn said

@Tom in VA That's a pretty good idea, actually. The fact that many MMOs have "can I play this game solo" in their FAQs speaks volumes.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 11:24AM Seldra said

@Tom in VA I've been an observer of the ARG events/puzzles and from what I've gathered they're being solved at a good pace. As with any online gaming community there's always gonna be those few who are very hardcore and will just rock those puzzles.

To use WoW as an example, if you played up to at least Wrath you'd know about Wintergrasp. If you were in a server that was balanced or you were in the dominate faction most players won't even have to get involved, just let the people that care do the work for you if you're worried about it eating your schedule.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 12:23PM (Unverified) said

I've been following this game since they first mentioned it and as another non Face-Booker (I hate MySpace equally) I'm hoping that signing up via email won't be a total crapshoot. The premise looks interesting and I'm hoping it won't be a horrible let down in reality.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 2:14PM Wykydtron86 said

Did I miss something or did they not say that the items in the cash shop would be purely cosmetic?

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 3:04PM smartstep said

They said items will be MOSTLY cosmetic , so no not only.

Besides from experiences with other games you can be assured that shop will expand as game will mature , with more non-cosmetic items beign added :/

Besides cosmetics are important part of gameplay as well.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 6:41PM Mykell said

"For both manners of PvP, Funcom announced that players would be analyzed and assigned a role upon entering a battlefield. Depending on the role assigned to a player, his outfit will be changed to role-specific armor. This gives each player a distinctive look based on his combat role, thereby allowing players to be immediately identified. In this way, allies know which players to protect and which enemies to focus on."

What the heck does this mean? People randomly assigned being tank, dps or healer based on abstract analysis?

Posted: Sep 13th 2011 10:23AM Wykydtron86 said

@Mykell

From my understanding, the role assigned will fit the type of skills you currently have.

Things like enhanced def and health might make you a tank, where as having lots of ranged spells or melee spells and damage enhancements might put you into a DPS role, or lots of healing and group buffs/regen might make you a healer. Realistically it will won't be any different than the role you would be serving in a group setting in PvE.