Posted: Aug 31st 2011 5:40PM Graill440 said

I always enjoy reading your articles, well you and 4 others on massively. Sadly this piece sounded like a trip through another game i tried for 8 months when it started and couldnt stomach it either because of design mechanics (we all know the one).

Glad you find this title to your liking i felt it blew huge chips at level 50 in both content (all raiding and grinding) and horrible pvp, the buff stackmonster and healing in this game are simply ridikolus. (Grin)

Still, like LOTR it has some great vistas, sadly there is not enough to save it in my humble opinion.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 6:50PM Bhagpuss said

Start another character! I have 3 level 50s so far and my next is just about to hit 40.

That said, as a player who doesn't generally like end-game or max-level play in MMOs, I find more to do at the top end than in any MMO I've played. And I don't do any dungeons or raid.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 6:52PM Pasha said

Congratulations!

For me took 10 days to level to 50: game seems to be on easy mode and there is plenty of content + I started on PvE server to save my time on pointless hi-level ganks and corpse camps (compare with 40 days to level first char to 60 in WoW on PvP Warsong). After that spent a week farming r4 PvP armor set - with current 50% bonus to valor and escalated Winterfall warfront it was easy and enjoyable. Now 3 weeks later I feel like I won this game.

P.S. Having experience in all major MMOs (such as Ultima Online, LotRO, WoW, EVE Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Warhammer Online etc. etc) - I can tell for sure Rift is extremely good. Probably the best (except for siege warfare in DAoC maybe)

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 4:13AM (Unverified) said

RIFT is an awesome MMO with very good enviroments to level and explore.I haven't played for some time because my friends quit else i would still be playing.

Saying leveling is not slow is not correct
You guys that claim such things as no content,i am sorry to say but you are burning through it with maximum or close to maximum speed which in my opinion is VERY unhealthy.Yes we all have done it when we played an MMO
but don't come and bash a game that not only has potential but that it does a beautifull job so far.

TRION is doing a very good job and their marketing is good.The only reason youu guys do not feel like "home" well...i think its WoW

Go go tell us what is like beyond 50 :D

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 4:50AM Aenedor said

I prefer Rift at 50, I found levelling a grind, now my Rogue and Cleric are both 50 it feels like the pressure is off :)

I work on my crafting (for myself and guildies), my factions, rifts and invasions of all flavours, harvesting, dungeons with guildies, and a couple of times a week we raid.

Life is good :)

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 6:29AM Eric Francis said

When i reached 50, here is how i viewed my options:

Grind for gear in PVE

Grind for gear in PVP scenarios

Log out and never play this game again

I picked the last option

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 6:34AM Bartas said

I'm not raiding anymore in games, so I didn't even see a single raid in RIFT. I no longer play this game, but I got to lvl 50 on rogue tank/dps/support build.
Rift was worth money I spend on it coz I had fun exploring new world, full of other players, rifts, invasions, collections, pvp etc. But after reaching lvl 50, I finished some dailies, grinded some rifts, ran few dungeons and then quit. Gear gring can't keep me playing these days :)

But exploration was so frikkin fun I even made few videos :)

Here is one of them - http://youtu.be/bDmZ3UedI9Q?hd=1

Let me know if you like it :)

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 11:56AM OutThere said

Thanks for the great write up. I'm level 47, so nearly there. I've enjoyed the open world of Rift, the exploration, the daily crafting, the weekly guild quests, the zone invasions, the world events, acquiring achievements, and exploring the soul combos and figuring out which ones play best for me.

I'll say this, after leveling 8 characters to 65 in LOTRO in an extremely controlled environment, the chaotic free for all of Rift is exciting. It is possible to never quest at all in this game. Do your daily crafting and run rifts or just go out artifact hunting. I now only do the quests that give me better gear or rep with the faction I'm interested in. That's what I like best about Rift, it let's you play the game any way you want. You want to group, there's lots of stuff for you. You wan to solo, there's lots of stuff for you. You like to craft, there's lots of stuff for you. You like to collect achievements, there's lots of stuff for you. Events and tweaks are always coming at you. You never know when you log in what new quests or events are happening in your capital.

I am so looking forward to the solo dungeon content. Although I thoroughly enjoy group content, I got into MMOs when they were called MMORPGs, and I really like the RPG elements of a game. I'm still the hero of my own storyline, so for me, the solo content in which my hero is THE hero is still the most satisfying. For this reason, if Rift continues to go in the direction of offering solo high level content, it will move into the top stop on my MMO list.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 1:36PM Sean D said

These days, I lose interest in any MMO once I reach max level.

I can tolerate completing daily quests or running the same dungeons repeatedly for about a week before I start asking myself, "Why am I doing the same thing over and over again, hour after hour?" I don't have a reasonable answer for this question. These repeatable ('repeatable' seems like a misnomer to me because players aren't just ABLE to repeat the quests/dungeons as they like, but rather, they're REQUIRED to do so if they want to continue to progress. It's the only way to progress at the level cap) activities in MMOs just make the game more transparent to me. It becomes too easy to see that the game is all about increasing numbers - on equipment, faction bars, crafting bars...everything. Only, there's no longer any story to support why I should do so. It's like reading a good book all the way through, then picking it back up and reading a few select chapters over and over again while you wait for the next installment to be released. At some point it just seems healthier to put the book down and find something else to do. Unfortunately, once I put the book down, I rarely pick it back up again, or if I do, the enthusiasm I once had for it is gone.

RIFT had a lot going for it. The puzzles, exploration, the RIFT daily quests, the way they change from day to day, caught me off-guard in a good way. More MMOs should do the same with the daily quests, but take it further and make the pool of quests bigger. Keep them changing. Maybe randomize them.