Posted: Aug 31st 2011 5:09PM real65rcncom said

"The lore of RIFT has surprised me on more than one occasion by its richness and depth, and you'd think that a roleplay server would latch on to this lore and run with it."

It probably has more to do with the fact that it's boring as white bread and about as interesting as any other typical mmo.

The writing is rich in that there is TONS of it but it's not very interesting stuff and the game doesn't draw you in have as much as a game about rifts should being titled "RIFT".

Sitting in town all day talking about drinking tankards with m'lady only goes so far in a digital video age. Trion has not been able to make anyone really care about invasion, rifts or Regulos for the most part although they have put lots of things in there like events.

It's just.. flat. Regardless of how much is in there and how deep it is. :(

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 6:49PM Frostfell said

@real65rcncom Agreed. Even World of Warcraft has a more compelling storyline than Rift.

Rift does a lot of things right gameplay wise, but the lack of any real engame content and compelling storyline meant I quit almost immediately after reaching the level cap.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 10:49AM fallwind said

@Frostfell how deep was warcraft's lore 6mo after the release of Warcraft 1? there is, what, a decade and a half of development on that IP, of course it is going to have more.

in before "space goats".

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 5:25PM tephys said

Part of the problem is that all the lore presented as a sheet of text and in the rare, bad voice acting. There are a few books sprinkled in the world but it is hard to be immersed by quest text.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 6:07PM (Unverified) said

I play RIFT. I canceled two WoW accounts and one LoTRO account for it. This game could have every quest text read "blah blah blah QQ noob lol" and I wouldn't care. The soul system is a million times more flexible and better than what I've encountered in every other game.

The changes they've made to try and balance the needs of casual players against raiders against PvP players have been remarkable. I'd be happy to discuss them in detail, but wall of text is bad.

I will say this. I play on Estrael, also an RP server. RP happens around Argent Glade and Meridian, and then again in the higher level areas. I have had some excellent and fun encounters with the opposite faction, and I love the fact that Defiants and Guardians can speak to each other. It always seemed incredibly stupid that WoW did not allow that.

So don't expect a lot of RP in the starter zones. Other than the two "hot spots" you'll have to wait for Iron Pine Peak, Shimmersand and Stillmoor to see much RP out in the wild.

I like the game and how it's designed so much that I really don't worry about whether the voice acting is bad, or whether the lore is presented effectively. Some of you do, and that's your call. But voice acting and quest text are PART of a game, but nowhere near the entirety of it.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 6:12PM (Unverified) said

Please excuse me replying to my own comment. How do I "verify" myself so it stops calling me unverified? I've had an account here since 2009 and commented many times. It has sent me emails to confirm my address. I'm stumped! Thanks. :)

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 6:27PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) I too would like to know how to get rid of "Unverified"

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 7:13PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

Me too!

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 8:48PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)
Me three... or is that four?

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 10:28PM JuliusSeizure said

@(Unverified)

It's a bug in the software. The bloggers can't do anything about it, and for whatever reason the techs responsible aren't. :\

If you click on the "Unverified" you can still see your user page, or those of others if you want to know their handle.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 10:31PM JuliusSeizure said

@JuliusSeizure

Incidentally, the same bug seems to have screwed up my avatar since I tried to update it months ago. So I sympathise.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 9:08PM joemarra052075 said

I think that the downfall of RP in MMO's is, in part, due too the usage of vent. Here are a couple of facts that mite perk your interest though: 1. Rifts and invasions happen because the players are playing. Every time you use a spell or ability you bring your zone one step closer to the next rift and also a step closer to the next invasion.
2. Even in the starting area of Freemarch there are at least 2 different invasions that can be triggered.
3. This can be very tricky in endgame when you are trying to do crafting and raid rifts and all of a sudden you have a full scale invasion on you hands (and with 20 players using global cooldowns left and right this can quickly become a repeated problem and sometimes takes several raid groups to bring it back under control...of course then you have several groups of 20 in the area now and this is the song that never ends).

4. Just for something odd to do look outside of Meredian for the 3 elite named squirrels that hang around on a hill just outside.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 9:27PM Leandra said

You won't see all that much RP in Meridian or Sanctum -- it's a little too crowded, especially since /say and /emote have a farther range than in other games. All the random RP I've encountered has been out in the world, and not in the starting zone (the exception there being the Guardian side where Argent Glade is a RP hot spot).

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 6:41AM acidfwd said

IMO and talking from a EU perspective, public RP dies when too many non-RP players roll on RP servers ("because the community is so nice here" is an often-heard reason). A lot of them do not respect in-character rules and won't accept any correction in this respect from players. That's why the RP-community withdraws to enclaves to gather for a sort of staged RP. It happened in WoW and it's happening in Rift. Too bad for the customer who actually pays to play on an RP server.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 9:43AM Misterlee said

One of the main problems for me with Rift, even though I've been playing it since launch and enjoying it, is there are SO many quests that none of them seem important or very interesting. It's just like a shopping list game. Load up your list with as many generic kill quests as possible then follow the dots on the map till they're all done.
It seems silly to say there is too much content in a game, but when there is so much, none of it seems very important and I've stopped bothering to read any of it.
If it wasn't for the invasions and the fact I like exploring I might not have bothered to keep playing.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 12:25PM Saker said

Interesting... The half-year-thing was supposed to have been extended but stopped working (for me at least) today...

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 4:57PM Ezrya said

No matter how rich the story is, the setting in Rift hasn't evolved to be something unique and interesting to be a part of. It's a sort of bland fantasy world. The appeal of roleplaying in Star Wars, for example, is that you have so much to work with. Planets, technology, species, weaponry, a mystical power, politics... Rift only has the elements that are necessary to push the game's central story forward. It's not a mature or expansive enough universe for roleplay.

I know people who roleplay in other games, and who rolled on Faeblight because it was an RP server. But they never roleplay in Rift.

As for the social dynamic; the most fun I had in Rift was very, very early in its release, when people were just leveling their characters, and invasions were happening constantly. Once the constant invasions died down, I lost interest, because it really began to feel like a less mature version of WoW (by mature, I mean that the game hasn't been around as long, so it hasn't had as much time to evolve and expand.)

Posted: Sep 2nd 2011 4:47PM Majicebe said

Keep in mind, most people who actually talk a lot are in the /level 50 channel, as many know each other and like to talk. The lowbies don't talk as much, or if they do, it's more just questions.

Just FYI.