Posted: Aug 31st 2011 9:09PM real65rcncom said

Fans: "Hey Bethesda, how'd you guys like to make an mmo?

It would be a really cool project costing almost 3/4ths of 100 million dollars at the least. You get to design a game for years, put in features you think the players will like, and then when you finally let them in alpha/beta they will rip your game to shreds saying it sucks. Or they will hail you the next WoW killer.

Then you'll fix/refix things to their liking and release the game, and then those new people will rip your game to shreds; or call you the next WoW killer.

Your game will languish around for a few years and after awhile you'll convert it to FTP with a cash shop. After all of that, you'll be called a failure of a company and all your devs suck. It's a great opportunity, what do you say?!"

Bethesda: "..."

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 9:15PM Wensbane said

@real65rcncom

Yeap, sounds like the usual.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 9:17PM yeppers said

@real65rcncom

Agreed. I know it's a cliche but ... if it aint broke don't fix it. That's if you even call switching to an MMO a "fix". They have at least 5 - 10 years left on Skyrim.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 9:41PM xBludx said

@real65rcncom

LOL...yup

I recently got a good deal on Morrowind and Oblivion from Steam and I'm enjoying them *again* before Skyrim comes out.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 5:01AM deejrandom said

• 1 heart
@real65rcncom Hey now - People already call them a failure of a company and say that all their devs suck. Not saying it is true but I've seen it both with Oblivion and Fallout 3. So at *least* they already have that part out of the way.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 7:58AM Freakydemon said

@xBludx
After you've done that, go download the mod Nehrim from ModDB it's absolute brilliance and critically acclaimed, go check it out !

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 11:25AM xBludx said

@Freakydemon

Will do. Thanks for the tip.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 7:55PM Arsinek said

@real65rcncom Yep, pretty sad.

But Id actually be interested in an Elder Scroll MMO if it was just like Morrowind (only Elder Scroll Ive played) and I stopped being interested in fantasy mmos a long time ago. Morrowwind was so open ended it lends itself perfectly to an MMO, also the combat wasnt the wow-esq target autohit snoozefest.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 9:18PM TheCrazyness said

Good. I dont want any 'lolz I ARE LEEZRDMAN! HUUUR' getting into my TES experience.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 9:22PM Eamil said

Good. I love The Elder Scrolls for many reasons that would not translate well (read: at all) to MMO space. There are a lot of franchises I'd love to see MMOs of but this isn't one of them.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 6:51AM (Unverified) said

@Eamil I think you have snowed in too much on what is a normal MMO instead of seeing that it could be a more niche kind of MMO....

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 9:31PM Unshra said

The issue is as Massively stated this is one person who is the VP of Sales at Bethesda Softworks. Also it is not Bethesda making the MMO it's different team under the parent Zenimax Media who are making it (Zenimax Online Studios) and simple put if Robert Altam wants the game as an MMO then Robert will get the game. ;)

It also doesn't help that they (Zenmax Media) registered ElderScrollsOnline.com awhile back before getting smart and making the info private (though this is most likely future proofing).

Well that's my conspiracy theory for the day. :-P
In the end we will just have to wait and see what happens.

However I will be honest if the MMO that is release is no Elder Scrolls based I wont bother playing it.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 9:35PM Unshra said

@Unshra Hmm.. I so need to proof read before posting.. ah it was all tongue in cheek anyways. ^^

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 9:50PM Space Cobra said

I mentioned this in another comment, but this is part of the reason why I still believe there is a strong future for single-player MMOs.

- Not all games translate well.
- You lose that uniqueness of your story that applies directly to you, sans anyone else's involvement.
- You can casually play. Only worried about turning on your PC/Console and loading your game. There is no time constraints and worrying if you are wasting other people's time (and vice versa).
- You sorta can cheat, if that's available, in your own game and affect no one. This includes even taking advantage of in-game bugs for your own benefit (some people like that).

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 3:58AM (Unverified) said

@Space Cobra You are not making sense. There is no such thing as a single player MMO....

Well...maybe there are single player games that look like cookie cutter MMO's but thats another story...

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 10:24AM Resurge said

@Space Cobra ima go ahead and guess you meant "single-player RPGs" :)

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 11:15AM Space Cobra said

@Resurge

Yeah, that's what I meant. Damn typos of the head! ;P

RPGs.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 9:51PM (Unverified) said

I would not want TES going the MMO route either. I've played them all and eagerly await this one.

However, I think it would be nice to have at least three people play together. A few dedicated friends that log on after work for a grand adventure for the night.

One person runs in the middle of a field and is bait to lure out a dragon while the healer is behind a boulder while the mage has an invisible spell on.

Voice chat and teamwork in the thick of an epic battle is nice. Again, not a full MMO but with an option to have a few people to do a small man/woman group and do epic encounters would be NICE.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 10:04PM Standamongst said

@(Unverified) I think 4 people would be a nice size. TES really has great co-op potential, and hopefully, it will embrace that.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 10:17PM Rhazes said

@(Unverified)

I to been wanting an Co-Op mode for the Elder Scrolls games. If Skyrim had servers like minecraft or 4-8 players co-op I wouldn't touch MMOs for several years.

Everyone could have their own house in the world and help make an actual impact to it. With mods it would be even better.

Make My MMO: November 16 - 22, 2014