Posted: Aug 31st 2011 2:46PM Lenn said

CoH was my first MMO and though I only played it little under a year, I've come back a few times for short stints, including last year for the expansion. I think it has aged remarkably well (the graphics update worked wonders) and I often feel that pang to go back again. I just can't justify the sub right now, what with a few big games on the way and my still active LotRO life. I think the conversion to the freemium model is going to do a lot of good for this game. It will certainly entice me to log on again (I never uninstalled it) and play around. I have no doubt it will lure new blood in as well. It's just a very polished and fun game to play. Even though it lacks the fluid combat of Champions, it's miled ahead in the content department.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 4:30PM rockman0 said

CoH isn't my first MMO, but it is the first MMO that I've actually stuck with. I've been in the game for about a year now. Most MMOs, I only play for about a couple of weeks to a month. They never had that appeal to keep me in. CoH does.

There are times when I'm overrun with school work that I can't justify keeping my sub active, and even during those times, I'm missing CoH and its community. It's a great game.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 3:24PM (Unverified) said

It could be a lot worse. It could be Champions in its current state of Development. The players there are starving for content and new features. CoX is getting them. While they might not be getting uber presences at PaX, i suspect that Freedom will make a pretty large splash.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 3:50PM cingeto said

I will certainly check it out. It was also my first MMO and I haven't really experienced the same kind of public grouping in other MMOs as in CoH, not sure why but I end up just soloing in other MMOs (I've tried Champions Online, LotrO, Guild Wars, Fallen Earth, Global Agenda). I liked the random 'invite to group' that usually popped up quite frequently. Perhaps it was just the CoH players being more social (this was in like 2006-7). Question: Are MMO-players generally less social nowadays compared to 5 years ago?

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 4:21PM (Unverified) said

@cingeto

Yes, they are. This has to do with the broadening of the genre, and more people who were in the console era playing by themselves getting into MMO's i'd guess. Less social. More about getting things done. Goal oriented. Etc.

This varies by game though.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 4:25PM rockman0 said

@cingeto Nope, as a matter of fact, there's an entire thread on the forums filled with people "asking for teams" and sending blind invites.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 4:26PM rockman0 said

@rockman0 that should be "filled with hilarious stories of people asking for teams and the reaction they give when the answer they get is "no."

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 5:24PM Darkmoone said

• 1 heart
Think you should rename the title of this peice to "why do i keep playing crappy mmo's after 2 years that failed 2 months out the gate". Mad your game has no coverage? get in line with the rest of the people from Daoc, Planetside, Ao etc.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 7:36PM SkyStreak said

@Darkmoone Trying to figure out how CoH failed 2 months out of the gate....

Or 2 years.....

Or at all......

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 11:42PM (Unverified) said

@SkyStreak

Heck, I'm trying to figure out how DAoC and AO were failures as well. Neither were perfect, but they were fairly solid games in general. Well, at least AO was once it fixed it's horrible launch problems.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 8:34PM Luk said

When COH goes F2P, I will come back just to be there with my friends.
It was my first MMO and it still the one that I measure other games against.
However, the reuse of the same boring maps and lack of interesting storytelling got to go. In the age when full voice overs and huge shared worlds are a common thing, COH cannot continue to just fly by on whatever massive content and history it has built over the years. I wish for more dynamic content, better stories and more active combat in CoH, alas that is not going to happen.

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 1:53PM Sente said

@Luk
When and how much have you played CoH lately? Much of the older content certainly is a bit lacking from a story perspective, but there is a lot of newer content that is quite good.

They are also doing updates and improvements to mechanics etc - perhaps not any revolutionary steps, but they do make improvements.

Posted: Sep 2nd 2011 3:17PM Luk said

@Sente
Sorry for late reply.
I tried Going Rogue content 3-4 months ago and stopped playing before the free month expired, it was same old gameplay, the new zones were limited to lvl 20 and below content, and there some bugs in the new zone that should have been fixed already because i could not complete some quests because of that. The new power profilirations are good, but they do not change the way you play a class, just add some variety to the powers. In short, COH has not changed its gameplay and missions with a wall of text in 7 years. Although CO was promising story telling through animations with voice overs and nemesis, it did not deliver anything better than COH, but this kind of old-school MMO approach will not fly when TOR will allow for full voice overs and more dynamic combat.

Give me Mass Effect in an MMO setting and that will be awesome, because while COH is still the best super-hero MMO on the market, it has not aged well at all.