Posted: Aug 30th 2011 9:31AM Issmir said

Wouldn't the counterpoint to "none of these folks really know that content is expensive unless they're devs or accountants" be "none of these folks know that content isn't expensive unless they're devs or accountants"?

And wouldn't the nature of increasing graphics capability and so on point to games requiring more man-hours and therefore money to make?

It's an opinion piece, and an interesting one, but I don't think I can agree with it. Good read though.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 8:27AM HiroProtagonist7 said

@Issmir
I see your point. I'd argue that model building is the same as it's always been. They're just releasing higher quality renders (more polygons) and features that interact with this generation's graphics cards. Another factor in graphics quality is animation and the tools in place today are leaps and bounds easier/quicker then they were in the past.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 9:31AM NvrDie said

At the end the writer says "Cancel your SW:ToR preorder"??

As far as I know, SW:ToR is a Sub ONLY game.

The Store in game is for CE players only and dosnt trade in RL cash.

Am I mistaken, cos if SW:ToR has gone Box+Sub+MT i will definatly cancel.

I asked this question a couple od days agon on the ToR website and got flamed with.. read FAQ nub.. its def just SUB only.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 9:40AM Issmir said

• 1 heart
@NvrDie

I would be AMAZED if it didn't have a store too.

Not that it's going to change my mind, I'm not particularly interested in playing TOR, but still. It'd amaze me.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 11:00AM Utakata said

@Issmir

Whether you would be AMAZE'd or not, it's still speculation to presume they'll have a cash shop when game is released. Rather wait till BioWare/EA releases the business model for such game before jumping all over it. This is the only thing I've faulted in Jeff's well pointed rant.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 11:01AM Utakata said

@Utakata

*Jef's...sheesh. :(

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 12:25PM SiML said

@NvrDie

Sw:Tor definately has/had microtransactions plans in motion - I know this for fact because the web designer who did the designs for the site inadvertantly leaked all the bioware smallprint via artwork when he featured the artwork on his portfolio site. It was yanked offline QUICK but not before some sites did an expose' on the smallprint.
There will be a MT-store, you buy points and the items were not of gameplay +stats advantage benefit, but cosmetic items like outfits and mounts.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 2:13PM Utakata said

@SiML

Again, this is not evidence that they will be planning to release with the game. It may have been scrapped as far as we know.

I also believe the leak you speak of came out with them mulling over of making SW:TOR fully F2P. I think that went over like a sinking ship. It's unlikely they'll have such a business model when the game is released.

And if they're wise, they'll stay away from any cash shop model for the time being. Only to be rolled out if SW:TOR starts to go the way of Warhammer.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 9:32AM NvrDie said

Forgot to say Mob then closed my "Will ToR have a MT store" post lol

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 9:35AM Rhazes said

I been playing MMOs since 99, I'm not a fan of the cash shops. Any game that adds crafting mats or stat gear and potions I stop playing. Its bad enough the gold farmers ruin crafting a couple months after a game is out by flooding the market with cheap mats now you have the devs making it worse. AoC and EQ2 stores disgusted me enough to quit playing.

Honestly, if The Elder Scrolls had multiplayer servers like Minecraft I would never play a MMO again. 4-8 player co-op would kick ass.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 9:39AM DeadlyAccurate said

So, really, if you're annoyed enough to post, then play an indie game, or don't play anything, but don't throw up your hands and resign yourself to greed being "the way of the future." Yes, that means skipping The Secret World, or canceling your Old Republic pre-order, and saying thanks but no thanks to the next "omg-must-play" AAA title that brings a sub and a cash shop to the table.

I will. I'd been sort of thinking about it for a while, and then TSW brought it to the forefront again. And after I mentioned I was considering boycotting sub-required cash shop games in the TSW post, it sort of kept rattling around in my head. So I think I'm going to do it.

If your game requires a subscription, and you have a cash shop, and you don't give subscribers free points to spend in the cash shop (and I'm talking Turbine's generous amount, not Funcom's pathetic number in AoC), then I will not subscribe to your game. No more EVE. No more WoW.

I'm only one subscription, and I realize no one has any way to know if I'm serious or not. No one here knows me IRL. But I do what I say I'm going to do.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 9:39AM DeadlyAccurate said

@DeadlyAccurate That first paragraph is supposed to be a quote from Jef Reahard.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 11:34AM Crestfallen said

@DeadlyAccurate

This is how I feel as well. Between EA games charging tax on subscription prices these days, the general trend toward greed in the industry and the degrading quality of the "massively multiplayer online" community I think I'm done.

I check sites like this less and less frequently, and have just developed an attitude of apathy towards "massively multiplayer online". The games aren't the same quality they used to be despite the raising of the bar in technology, and producers want to continually charge more for less. It crossed a line awhile back, and I just don't find the games fun anymore.

I signed up for the secret war deal last night, and seeing this today I think I'm done. I'll buy GW2 because there's no sub and just stick with DOTA style games for family time.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 9:41AM Lombardus said

Agreed with article 100%.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 9:50AM NvrDie said

I would really like to know NOW if SW:ToR is gonna be Box+Sub+MT.

I ask, they close thread.

As a consumer, I think Im buying Sw:Tor as Sub only game, if they change it, is the product then Mis- sold to me. Cos if they go to MT without dropping Sub, I feel like complaining to Trading standards.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 9:50AM CaptKillsteal said

I was very interested in Secret World.... until this announcement was made. Will I play the beta? Sure. Will I purchase the game? Doubtful.

The market is saturated with free to play offerings that give you a LOT of content to explore and spend your time in without dropping $15 a month to experience it. When simplified down to the base components gripping players, MMOs are a time sink. True, some people find more such as social groups, emotional attachments, escapes from reality, a way to continue long-range relationships, the start of a hobby, or just enjoying their time there. Regardless of why you play an MMO, you're still sinking countless hours into it over time.

I've spent more money on league of legends than I did in my several outings in World of Warcraft up through WotLK. One of the reasons is because I know that at the end of the day, if I want to drop the game for six months, I can come back at any time without paying a dime and get the entire 100% experience the game has to offer. I've now played league since beta, but never would've continued with the game if I had to pay a monthly fee. That being said, I still sometimes subscribe to an MMO for the experience it offers, but not for long periods of time.

If I play a subscription game, I want to have access to 100% of the content from that game excluding expansions without being nickle and dimed to eternity by a cash shop offering items, weapons, or cosmetics. If they sell something I can't get just by sinking some time into the game, it makes me less likely to continue playing the game. I stopped playing WoW when they started offering exclusive mounts and pets from their cash shop. I know I don't have to buy them, but I get a bad taste in my mouth when the companies try to bully players into spending extra money on top of the already hefty subscription.

To me, I feel they companies get greedy over time and eventually lead to a game's failure. Many games are starting to do this. Back to my league example, the champions are all being released at higher and higher IP costs, almost forcing players who want new champions but don't have time to grind IP to purchase them outright.

TL:DR- Subscription in short spurts? Fine. Cash shop only with cosmetic items? Fine, if the game is F2P.

Combine them? Adios.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 9:50AM Fabius Bile said

...I told you?

I've been warning pro-F2P players for ages to shut their traps and stop singing the praisesof a model that is based upon making your game experience miserable and frustrating unless you open your wallet.

and still they didnt listen, the F2P/Cash Shop model has been blooming (P.T Barnum was a friking visionarie, a sucker is INDEED born every minute), and F2P defenders were chanting that RMT was the future, and OMG CHEERING FOR THAT like brainwashed religion cultists.

It was just natural that P2P companies noticed the amount of god forsaken imbecile customers in the videogame industry is counted by millions, and decided to go get their piece of that idiot-flavored cake...

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 10:24AM Lenn said

@Fabius Bile It's not about f2p games with a cash shop.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 10:31AM Fabius Bile said

@Lenn
actually, it is. It always was.

the rise of the F2P model have proved 2 things:

1) That people will spend money on virtual items even in the worst, most terrible, lackluster of games.

and

2) That people are willing to pay to remove inconveniences, and that most are so breathtakingly idiotic that they wont notice/care that said inconveniences were put there on purpose for exactly that.

seriously, did anyone expect P2P companies to NOT notice this?

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 10:34AM Lenn said

@Fabius Bile Don't fault f2p games for that. How do you expect them to get the money needed for running servers and developing more content?

EVE Evolved: EVE Online vs. Elite: Dangerous