Posted: Aug 30th 2011 12:47PM smg77 said

I seriously can't think of anything I'd like less than a Facebook, Twitter, etc overlay when I'm trying to play a game.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 1:05PM yeppers said

@smg77

I'll see your FaceTwit disgust and raise you a gPotato. I really can't stand the F2P assembly line games anymore. Especially when there are more serious contenders in the F2P market out there like LotRO, DDO, GW, and AoC.

However, the ability to capture videos and screenshots would be great in an overlay. Steam's screenshot via overlay feature is excellent. I really hope they implement a video capture feature to it soon.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 12:59PM Space Cobra said

On one hand, I am private. I don't like Facebook or its attempts at crossing over into other aspects of the internet.

On the other hand, a social-networking platform dedicated to just one game/game company seems better and one that I may use: It should sorta be like an expanded forum that covers particular games and the company that runs them. I am more open to this, although I am well aware of the dangers of them "giving" my info to their partners. But if I am a fan of one game/company, I could maintain my fan-ship exclusively with them and not have to cross over into a neighborhood I don't particularly like (Facebook, Twitter being those neighborhoods).

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 1:50PM Ryukan said

The quote for the article's picture should end in "In Jesus name, Amen!" hehe.

An annoying and instrusive concept from a less than stellar outfit with a stupid name. gPotato, sounds like the name of a record lable for pot smoking rappers or a really bad translation or something heh.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 1:51PM Destati said

If I still played Aika, I personally wouldn't want to let anyone know that.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 1:57PM Pingles said

Ever been to a game's forum?
Ever listened to General Chat in a game?

I don't want to socialize with any of them.

I'll stick to Guild Chat and helping out the occasional noob in General.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 1:59PM Saker said

Oh Jimmy, it's been too long, how we've missed ya!
I need to see those tears again! Need the sweet wailing of your madness!
"I have sinned against thee!"

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 4:10PM Lenn said

And the facebookification of MMOs continues. Please stop it.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 2:26PM MetaReal said

In WoW, I'm using the MMObomb client which is based on Overwolf:
I haven't used the social networking features but mainly the in game browser (based on Chrome). You can resize, adjust transparency, hide etc (ideal for a quick search in wowhead or watch a YouTube strat in game etc).
I've also tested the screencasting feature (light, on the fly compression if i remember well) but i couldn't publish to YouTube in HD 740 which is what i really want.
I think Overwolf has some potential.

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 3:47PM MetaReal said

EDIT: the new version of Overwolf support full video resolution screencasting now and do onthefly compression in wmv but it's "lagging" in game for my configuration.

The Game Archaeologist: Kingdom of Drakkar