Posted: Aug 30th 2011 2:28PM Tom in VA said

These folks are talking mighty big.

I'll wait and see how they follow through before I pay any attention to them, thanks all the same. The proof, as they say, is in the pudding.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 2:55PM real65rcncom said

"For that part traditional MMORPG guilds have done their job, and they haven't done it badly, but it can certainly be improved," the team writes. It's their opinion that guilds are a little too exclusive and inflexible, not allowing players to mingle in multiple groups as they would in real life."

Those uber exclusive guilds have to justify their two-page applications to join somehow ^^.

Put tap water in a glass and give it to someone and it seems plain. Put tap water in a fancy bottle and gussy it up and it seems "exclusive" and promotes more demand.

Guilds do that then pick the "cream of the crop" and bar them from joining other guilds because they are afraid someone will steal them away or worse.. realize that that uber guild isn't much better personality wise than a lowbie regular guild.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 6:06PM Xidian said

I've been following this game since it's inception, and no it wasn't a few weeks ago, it has been about 5 months. I know some of the developers personally and I know that they can pull this off. They won't release a game half-made, they have said on multiple occasions that they will not compromise their vision because of pressure. They will also not release a system half-made.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 6:27PM (Unverified) said

I have to disagree with many people here, but let me modify my statement for a moment: guilds that recruit based on COMMUNITY don't suck.

I've been gaming forever. I've been in every type of guild out there aside from 1 or 2 that require you to pay a membership fee (no, not Goonsquad) or are sponsored. The main problem that all guilds eventually face are ones primarily of a social nature. Egos are on the line, and people need to deal with that first and foremost. That's usually what causes guilds to suck.

On the other hand, when a guild recruits people based on social skills, willingness to communicate, and and valuing other over pixels, you can see many of those problems go away. Even when people are done playing a game, emphasis on the above gives a guild the ability to win players back in future games or even real life (since everyone eventually moves on). Plenty of guilds have given me "epics" then burned down, but few have helped me get a job, learn something about myself, or have been happy when I say I need a break to take care of RL issues. The whole "guilds suck" attitude stems from a lack of these qualities IMO, and more of a drive on items and game progress.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 6:29PM Graill440 said

"'MMO guilds suck'

Seconded, majority carries, make it law. (Grin)

Posted: Sep 1st 2011 6:38AM Najwalaylah said

As I commented on the Embers of Caerus blog post in question (Dave Belcher's) , in the old days in EverQuest, we could only approximate something *like* multiple groups (with, possibly, exclusive membership) by use of (that ^ game's fairly excellent) chat channel systems. To see that idea developed further along with game mechanics to support it is a worthy goal.