Posted: Aug 30th 2011 1:15PM Silverel said

MMO Guilds DO suck for the most part. Aside from being a glorified friends list, any benefits are pretty tame. Anything that further propagates glorified friends lists as "better" guilds aren't doing themselves any favors. If your guild doesn't matter in the scheme of the world, then what's really the point?

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 1:18PM Bolongo said

So... other studios are copying GW2 already? I guess Arenanet should feel flattered. :)

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 1:37PM Balraw said

@Bolongo I guess FFXI should be flattered that GW2 copied their guild idea idea and x y or z should be flattered that FFXI copied etc etc etc. No new idea's just recycled and improved on.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 2:30PM Halldorr said

@Bolongo When did GW2 announce their guilds ideas? I think the blog post was from the weekend.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 3:23PM (Unverified) said

@Bolongo if you think that this is the same as GW2 multiguild, sorry but you dont understand or even read the blog.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 4:17PM Bolongo said

@(Unverified)

I'll accept the criticism that GW2 didn't do it first - FFXI has never been on my radar. And my accusation of "copying" was tongue-in-cheek - I really think that this is just an idea whose time has come, as some posters further down point out.

But it IS basically the same idea: allowing the player to be a member of more than one user-organized persistent group. The blog waxes philosophical about how different groups have different functions and agendas, but that's difficult to program into a game if you are also serious about putting "control back into the player's hands". What I imagine they will do is define some core functions of a "guild" or whatever they decide to call it, and leave the rest up to the players to work out. Whether a certain group of players is going to function like a family or like a soccer club (to use more of their examples), that's something that happens outside the game mechanics. If the devs start to create in-game distinctions between different types of groups, they will in fact be restricting that player control they liked so much.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 11:36PM Reveyah said

@Bolongo I couldn't have said it any better

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 1:19PM Hipster said

This game cant come soon enough.
Engine test video on youtube also.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 1:21PM Khai mann said

Guilds do suck.... That's why I have my own corp in EVE. Unfortunately, guilds just restrict a person's freedom in a MMO.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 5:52PM Celtar said

@Khai mann -Guilds do suck.... That's why I have my own corp in EVE

You do realize that a corp is just a type of guild/house/club/unit, right?

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 1:22PM Hipster said

Bolongo: This game is a full loot skill based sandbox game and has nothing in common to GW2. Feel free to read up on it.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 1:31PM Apakal said

@Hipster

Sounds awful.

GW2 announced almost the exact same guild philosophy like 2 days ago.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 1:32PM MrFinesse326 said

@Hipster

Bolongo wasn't talking about the gameplay, they were referring to the ability to join multiple groups/guilds on the same character as was announced recently for GW2. I don't believe this game is copying that in any sort of way, it's just the new trend as more MMOs come to in existence. The blog post itself painstakingly uses paragraphs of analogies to the real world but the crux of the topic is that you can belong to more than one group as you do on a daily basis in real life. In that sense, this game has that feature in common with GW2 and other MMOs in the past that have done that.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 1:27PM (Unverified) said

Looks like more realism than super fantasy, which could be very interesting.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 1:32PM Vanir said

When I read this I immediately thought "Eve Corp / Alliance"

Maybe that's what they're trying to go for? Eve has had it forever now. ^_^

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 2:04PM Krazed said

@Vanir That's not what they're talking about. Eve still constricts you to one corporation, which is what seems to be the main issue brought up. If you enjoy raiding in a game, yet your RL friends play in a casual guild, you're stuck with either joining a raiding guild to complete the objectives of the game you're interested in or joining a casual guild to be with your friends. Wouldn't a better option be to allow someone to join multiple guilds (within reason), so they can be active in completely different ways.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 1:37PM eLdritchZ said

Oh look! Some random developer from some random game dev studio, that hasn't released anything concrete about their game apart from a bit of concept art is saying that all other MMOs suck and that theirs is gonig to be the second coming of jesus! How very original and never before heard...

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 1:53PM Vandal said

@eLdritchZ Agreed. A game that doesn't even have a website up gets press because the devs make an inflammatory statement. They did the equivalent of forum trolling and it worked.

I would take this a little more seriously if they had said this before ArenaNet said the same thing this weekend at PAX. The difference being that ArenaNet never announces anything unless they already have a function system. Forsaken Studios may have nothing more than a whiteboard with ideas for all we know.

That said, I see nothing wrong with MMO industry taking a hard look at the numerous flawed mechanics of traditional, old-school MMOs and throw them out the window. Where they should have gone in the first place.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 2:41PM (Unverified) said

@eLdritchZ

They do have some engine test vids up, a bit more than concept art.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 7:30PM kyrv said

@eLdritchZ

I was going to post, I'm really tired of games that don't exist yet chastising games that not only exist but turn a profit. Especially since you are going to be taking over 90% of your content and ideas from those bad games.

Now, what's worse, him saying it, or those that make this 'news', that I'm not sure.