Posted: Aug 29th 2011 8:05AM (Unverified) said

Frankly, from the perspective of someone that didn't actually attend either, I feel that Gamescom really stole the thunder from PAX this year. All the info I cared to hear got revealed at Gamescom. I didn't hear anything new or interesting from PAX. I am sure attendees had a blast, but from the outside it seems like a dud.

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 8:10AM eLdritchZ said

Smite. It just looks amazingly fun. DotA: Remastered can go away now... ;)

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 8:34AM Pingles said

I am hoping there is more coverage on the way.

There were a lot of games being demo'd there. Didn't anybody get to play Tribes, SWTOR or GW2?

Are those articles still being finished up?

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 9:22AM Kark said

Open PvP RvR on Ilium was awesome. Finally a place i can call home for the next years.

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 9:46AM ImOnTheRadio said

Everything that had anything to do with Firefall. The Chosen fleet attacking was pretty cool and the engineer seemed nice in action.

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 8:47PM Skyydragonn said

@ImOnTheRadio
Agreed, Firefall looks to be a contender for the top spots among the crowded FPS genre. It really depends on whether the target audience can get past the "free 2 play" stigmas and actually TRY it before making a judgement on it.

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 9:47AM (Unverified) said

I agree that we have not gotten as much information live from PAX as we did during Gamescon. I guess that we'll see much more during the week, but I thought that PAX was going to be everywhere on the net with live shows, interview, videos and so on... and it was not.

At least we heard a lot about Firefall, which is great. The open world PVE, the ideas they have for the future, a fifth battleframe still to come... and the idea that they want us playing this game for many years (so, the game is going to expand a lot in the future). That's the best reveal from PAX for me, as I thought that Firefall was going to be a more common shooter... and it's much more than that.

Is a PVE/PVP open world in a shooter like Firefall not great?

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 10:14AM Dril said

@Ren54

"The GW2 pvp demo being considered a "tournament" and played like such gives a you good idea where they are heading with that game."

I think that's actually quite a smart observation. That, along with the death penalty stuff, "things have to be FUN ALL THE TIME" and general vibe I get from ANet suggests that GW2 is being designed as a game first and a world second.

I realise that "FUN ALL THE TIME NOW ONLY HARDCORE NO LIFE VIRGIN BASEMENT NERDS HAVE PATIENCE EVERYONE ELSE NEEDS ISNT LIKE THEM RAID OR DIE IS GOING TO FAIL HAHAHAHAHA SUCK IT RAIDERS I HATE TIME INVESTMENT" is kind of the in thing at the moment for people (I'm unsure whether it's an improvement on "WoW is the bane of all things and killed my children," we'll have to see) but it does suggest that GW2 is really going to push MMOs even further away from virtual worlds and more towards the realm of LoL, TF2 and SC2.

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 10:15AM Warstratigier said

Simply put, I was really watching PAX for Firefall since when it was first revealed for last year's PAX Prime, which was my favorite for that year. However its about this year and not last, so I definately have to say the depth of detail placed into the open world PVE. There are just so many things right about it and what's better is it is only the beginning of things to come from Firefall.

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 10:55AM FireWater said

FireFall appeared to steal the show. The people at Red 5 are not messing around with its marketing. Even with some of the great AAA franchises at PAX, FireFall is still taking the cake.

The PvE looked interesting, but the PvP looked awesome!! It is going to revolutionize the genre.

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 1:25PM ghost778 said

@FireWater
I think its better to say that it is creating its own genre entirely rather than revolutionizing one. Normal shooters will still be made, but also newer MMOS too.

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 6:33PM Frostfell said

@FireWater They definitely did a ton of marketing at the show, but after playing it myself, it feels pretty generic. Personally I wasn't impressed.

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 11:01AM Stall said

For me, it was more information on Wildstar. The game sort-of game out of nowhere, but for some reason, has me really intrigued. The more information I can get, the better.

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 11:02AM JBWill said

Yeah, definitely Firefall for me too. I admit to some bias because I was waiting for PAX pretty much entirely because I knew Red 5 were going to be doing some huge stuff there, but they did not disappoint me. They went all out on the marketing and built up a huge amount of hype that, from every single account I've heard, the game lived up to gloriously. I really can't wait to get my hands on this game

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 11:10AM Acharenus said

firefall and wildstar for me easily, very excited for those two.

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 12:16PM Alx223 said

My favorite reveal by far was the Firefall PvE dynamic missions. Red5 has been showing off exclusively PvP for a while so it was great to see how great the PvE was. The fact you could shoot down a drop ship and a massive shooter like this was just awesome.

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 12:21PM xiLLuSioNx said

My favorite Pax reveal would definitely have to be Firefall. It was great seeing the open world side of Firefall, and the chosen invasion was awesome. And the best part of all is that it's completely Free.

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 12:27PM Space Cobra said

@Ren54

The relentless gear treadmill of WoW has put me off on the game; it is one of the main things I don't like and I saw the treadmill way back during launch.

I don't mind a light treadmill, but my fears are always confirmed when I hear of someone who has just bought/got a set of top armor and Blizzard then releases another, invalidating their "work".

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 12:30PM Space Cobra said

Actually, I was sorta scratching my head (as a reader) and I really was not that positive PAX was going on last week. Sure, I heard it was and I've been busy and I read some articles here with the PAX banner, but they seemed more "lite" and inline with preliminary-to-the-event, even though there was some reveals.

Basically, I agree with everyone. Gamescom blew PAX outta the water in terms of reveals and the torrent of information that came out of it. PAX barely registered, although some nice info did come out.

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 12:54PM hoder said

Easily FIrefall, even got some nice coverage for the internet folks who didn't attend.

+ They had most comfortable carpet, can't argue with that!

The Think Tank: Thoughts on PAX East 2014