Posted: Aug 29th 2011 6:24PM foofad said

And that's great, as long as the perceived value of the real money > chronoscroll > game money exchange outweighs that of illegitimately purchased game money. But even on EVE, you can get credits cheaper from China than you can legitimately. Of course part of the perceived value is the whole "not getting caught" deal; so maybe that's enough to keep the scrolls valuable.

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 6:30PM (Unverified) said

Sorry so what is Chronoscroll?

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 6:40PM Apakal said

@(Unverified)

From the source article (because I had no idea either):
"It all starts with a new type of item we're adding to the game: chronoscrolls. Players use these items to extend their game time. Each chronoscroll is the equivalent of a one-month game subscription payment. Chronoscrolls are purchased directly from our website and delivered to your character’s inventory. You can use them to extend your play experience for another month or trade them in the game with other players for gold."

So if you make a bunch of gold, you can buy chronoscrolls from other players, and basically play for free. On the other side, if you need gold, you can sell scrolls to other players, essentially buying gold in a roundabout way, directly from the game.

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 7:05PM (Unverified) said

@Apakal Thanks a lot ! x Sounds interesting.

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 6:38PM Valentina said

Cool. I guess....

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 6:52PM Audacious said

It's no big deal, given the link to the site itself in the source, but it wouldn't of hurt to provide an explanation to Chronoscrolls for those that /aren't/ familiar with EVE's PLEX system.

On one hand, I could see how this could cull some RMT, but isn't power leveling a popular RMT service that these Chronoscrolls wouldn't cover?

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 7:00PM Apakal said

@Audacious

I don't think power-leveling is nearly as popular as standard gold buying. Twice the price of a decent amount of gold and exponentially higher likelihood of getting your account jacked (consider you actually are giving up all your account information). At least gold buying has a reasonable chance of success. Power-leveling to me seems borderline insane.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 12:17AM Space Cobra said

@Apakal

I can only answer for myself, but personally, if I were to get lots of gold in a game (namely, single-player games), it would help my leveling of my character while I could enjoy the journey toward end-level. So, instead of starting out with your standard "I am a poor orphan waif!", I can be a scion of a rich merchant or what have you. As a player in these single-player games, I would shy away from from other (GameShark-style) cheats, like "unlimited health" and so on and just rely on the in-game cash to get through the game.

I'd like to think a fair number of people think the way I do. When you power-level a character, I would think one would feel out-of-touch with it. It is not something they fully crafted/played with and I would feel unfamiliar with the enhanced powers (and miss most of the lower quests).

I propose a substantial number of others feel the way I do and this is why gold-services probably are used more than power-leveling services. (Please Note : I have never used either in an MMO; Me wanting to protect my account from risks tends to outweigh any potential benefit.)

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 8:07PM Zyrusticae said

I love the PLEX system, so I'm actually quite happy to see it show up here. Being able to play for free in exchange for in-game gold is just a great thing all around.

That being said, anyone with even a half-decent paying job is going to realize that $15 is much easier to earn with real labor than it is with in-game gold (it takes hours upon hours to gather the requisite Isk to buy a PLEX in EVE, for example - whereas you can probably make that money in an hour IRL). Still, it gives the people with far more time than money an alternative to paying the monthly fee, and helps curb the illegal gold trading in the process. Win-win!

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 8:12PM real65rcncom said

• 1 heart
This is a great first step. Their cash shop should probably be selling fluff as well.

What? Tera doesn't have a cash shop?

Just wait. All games will. :) As long as they are selling fluff, it shouldn't be a problem. Players just have to be introduced to the concept slowly.

Starting with "chronoscrolls" is a great idea to do that.

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 8:38PM Jade Effect said

Wait, where's the standard gnashing of teeth and whining that En Masse Entertainment is going with something from another game, instead of coming out with something new and innovative?

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 9:08PM Nenene said

@Jade Effect
New? Innovative? TERA?

Pick one.

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 8:39PM angryhoar said

Lukewarm and even some positive comments in a TERA article? *pinches self* I need to wake up.

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 9:06PM (Unverified) said

I'm not up to speed on either game, but I imagine this system works in EVE because it has a completely player run economy (right?). TERA, I would think, is more WoW like and has NPC vendors, etc, where the "value" of in game currency is determined by the current state of the game, i.e. progress, availability of loot, and other such factors.

Not to mention EVE is a single server where TERA will have discrepancies between them. So certain servers will end up being "cheaper" to play on, if you were to invest only time to get the gold for scrolls, and not pay a sub.

If this does not ruin the in-game economy the best it could hope to do is deter farmers enough to where it is not profitable to sell TERA gold and instead focus their efforts on another game, in which case it will be a fine line between marginally undercutting the value of scrolls with the cost of equivalent gold and subscription cost. Good luck balancing that.

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 9:09PM nhat said

People stop bashing a game that hasn't even come out yet..... wait no one is bashing Tera? Pretty amazing....

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 9:09PM Nenene said

Holy cheese, is that woman with the staff wearing PANTS? In TERA?

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 9:27PM angryhoar said

@Nenene not sure if joking :p but that's a male castanic priest.

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 10:06PM Nenene said

@angryhoar
...Welp, never mind.

Thus ends my brief spate of happiness with TERA.

Posted: Aug 30th 2011 3:11AM NeverDeath said

@Nenene

Apparently you haven't paid any attention at all to the various links displaying armor sets from the game. I'll give you a link to a site that has a large number, which can be sorted by race/sex/class. Enjoy learning that not every set is a bikini, and you're welcome for the enlightenment you're sure to (if even accidentally) receive.

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 10:06PM Mikx said

Uh oh, they called something a scroll, they'll be sued any time now.