Posted: Aug 28th 2011 1:00PM (Unverified) said

" When your mastery and/or prowess bars (arranged vertically along the left and right edges of the window) fill up, you've earned one point, which can be put toward one of the abilities in the tree. Earning expertise points happens automagically every time you acquire 10 mastery or prowess points."

I don't know where you came up with these numbers, but they are not correct at all. Every time you fill up your mastery bar you get 3 mastery points and 1 expertise point. WIt prowess you get 3 prowess points and 1 mastery.

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 1:03PM (Unverified) said

I meant 3 prowess and 1 expertise of course

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 3:44PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)
indeed

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 3:54PM Jef Reahard said

@(Unverified)

Doh you're right, thanks, I updated the article. Tbh it's been several months since I filled up a bar on one of my 80s as I"ve been playing a lot of alts. Apparently my research here was a bit out of date.

/tiphat

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 2:02PM Seffrid said

Useful info, thanks Jef.

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 3:34PM Heraclea said

I'd add that fresh 80s probably ought to spread some points around in the first tier first. The important thing is to get five spent in the first tier to unlock the second, which is where the archetype specific ones are; then spend five points in the second tier to unlock the third, class specific tier. The most time efficient way to do this is to pick desirable five point perks in each class and put one point in each of them. Those can usually be trained in a day and a half, so ideally you've unlocked the third tier in fifteen days.

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 3:58PM Jef Reahard said

@Heraclea

Also a great point, thanks.

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 10:06AM Misterlee said

@Heraclea

That's what I do on all my characters, just train 5 of the '18 hour' ones first in the top row/s to get down to the 'good' ones at the bottom which take much longer to time train.

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 6:35PM Infestimus said

Due to the power imbalance of a fresh 80 to an AA specced one, it is essentially manadatory for free players to become a subbed player if they wish to continue.

I think this is a great system as very few games give you the entire leveling experience completely free, and you are able to play mini-game pvp or open world on your way to the cap without any imbalance to see if the game is for you.

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 7:05PM Twanimus said

You start earning AA experience at level 20 correct? You can't use AA unless you subscribe.

Now, if you are FTP as you level from 20 to 80 do you still accumulate AA xp, and just can't use it? Then if you subscribe when ya hit 80, can you then use that pool of AA xp ya built?

Basically, similar to how FTP's are capped at 2g, but continue accumulate gold above 2g in a secret wallet you can't access until you subscribe.

Basically I tried the game when it went FTP and so far I like it. Only lvl 29 though, going to go to 80 before I subscribe, if I choose to do to. I'd be nice to have a little pool of AA xp built up when I do, but if not its not a deal breaker.

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 10:11AM Misterlee said

@Twanimus
As far as I know you can't earn any AA XP as a 'free' player. But to be honest, the amount of AA XP you'd get while leveling from 20-80 is not significant enough to worry about. The majority of the AA feats you'll get (if you do) will be through time training which you can only do at level 80 anyway.

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 11:27AM shmegger said

@Twanimus

On the way from 20 to 80, I think I dinged the Mastery bar one time, in addition to earning 2 mastery points from Phials of Tranquility from quests at level 30 and 40 in Gateway.

So the real benefit is the 2 Mastery points, which allow you to unlock either 2 resistance aa's, or one combat aa at level 40. Admittedly it is a minor benefit, but a good one for so little effort required.

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 9:47PM JuliusSeizure said

Is there a cap on how much AA you can earn? If you could theoretically grab every single AA ability eventually, I can understand why Funcom wouldn't bother allowing respecs.

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 9:59AM Misterlee said

@JuliusSeizure

Exactly, you can get every single one of the AA feats in time, you just can't use them all at once. And since it's based on a combination of real time passing and effort (kills XP and item drops XP) it's pretty impossible to refund accurately.