Posted: Aug 28th 2011 2:53PM Horsepox said

I remember trying out this game when it first became "free to play".
I quite enjoyed the game, it was fun running around doing the quests and gathering the new gear and bricks. And I spent many hours in the instanced house building area building up my castle. But I quickly became annoyed when I found it that you had to pay to continue progressing in the game. When you hear "free to play", you think restrictions of course but not the whole rest of the game cut out from level 10 on. I play a free to play game to not spend money on it, but then when I have to dish out real cash to continue my experience, no way.
As fun as the game was I just couldn't find myself willing to spend money on this "supposed" free to play title.

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 3:35PM (Unverified) said

I feel ripped off by Lego Universe. I pre-ordered two copies @ $40 each (plus sales tax and shipping) so I could play it with my (then) ten year old son. We both got bored after the first week.

And now the client is FREE less than a year after launch?

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 5:07PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
@(Unverified)

So.....your poor judgement is a ripoff how?

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 5:16PM Pingles said

I tried the free version and had enough fun that I signed up within a few hours for the full version.

I have to say that since then I have been disappointed. Although I enjoyed Free Realme and other "kid" games I am finding Lego Universe to be a bit more old-school MMO. I think today an MMO like this might be termed "clumsy".

The quests can be surprisingly ambiguous and a lot of quests ask you to traverse a great deal of area just LOOKING for the right place to finish the quest.

Some quest chains will have a very easy quest followed by a near-impossible feat.

They have thrown around quite a few distractions to keep you busy (including some fantastic platformer challenges) but I am still finding it hard to keep track of where to go.

The maps are unlabeled and quests will tell you to look for something in an area but never tell you where that area is. "Go look in the lab" But no lab on the map and nothing on the screen to identify different map areas.

It's still quite a bit of fun but I am getting frustrated to the point that I am pretty sure I won't be re-subscribing.

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 5:17PM Bhagpuss said

I have no nostalgic warm feelings for Lego. I played with the bricks as a child, but that was more than forty years ago and I can't say I've ever felt the desire to do it again, let alone virtually. Consequently, Lego Universe is one of the recent MMOs I've not bothered with at all. Don't think that's going to change following your recap, either!

I look forward to your comments on Face of Mankind. Couldn't get much more of a contrast than that and Lego!

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 5:59PM Haldurson said

I played in the beta and found the game to be very grindy, and too often frustrating.. Don't get me wrong -- I had fun with it for a bit, but not enough that I could recommend it.

Some of the opinions here surprise me, not because I disagree with them, but because I would have thought that they would have been working to fix the new user experience (one of the things that I most reported on during the beta). I'm a 51 year old gaming veteran, and if I'm having issues with the game, I'm positive that young newcomers would have it many times worse.

Posted: Aug 29th 2011 3:35PM Daemodand said

Hint: get Minecraft instead. Minecraft is more Lego than Lego Universe.