Posted: Aug 28th 2011 11:38AM (Unverified) said

@darthades

Well , to be honest SW universe is in really great position in unique settings. Games like WoW can really do just so much spacey things. While SW can really shift between mechanic / flashy warzones to fantasy like settings. Because of the wast amount of material they have aka Galaxy is full of stars unexplored. If you know what i mean.

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 11:34AM Acharenus said

alternatively there's totalhalibuts vid's, longer and better quality.

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 3:21PM slickie said

@Acharenus Indeed, I don't see why Massively linked to this crap video instead of TotalBiscuit's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1i_bxfXUSw

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 11:44AM real65rcncom said

Juggernaut doing the "Carlton Dance"

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 12:01PM (Unverified) said

This looks live PVP @ lvl 85 in WoW.. These guys are 14!!!

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 12:11PM SiML said

The more these SW:TOR pvp videos are revealed - the more it looks like just any other MMO on the market.

I want to see more about the RPG element, about meeting, corrupting or redeeming companion characters. Lets see this fouth pillar of story with all of the consequences on the world that you advertised Bioware. All this pvp is a snoozefest.

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 12:44PM Faction 3 said

@SiML

Gotta agree. Im seeing nothing different than what I'd normally see for any other boring ass game. I've actually went onto Youtube and did side-by-side comparisons of RIFT and SW:TOR videos, and the only really stand-out thing was its setting & relation to the SW franchise, no kind of promised RPG & Story Driven gameplay aspects at all (besides a briefing before a Raid.....wow). Its the same goddamn thing...hype, predictions, and lame-ass videos of PvP and basic Gameplay.

At least GW2s innovations are present in ALMOST every video taken. Combat,, Character-Story, Quest System, Dodge mechanics, All-Class Healing Abilities, etc, and some of those aren't that innovative, just refreshing to see finally put to good use.

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 1:15PM Popplewell said

@SiML Well yeah, they could show you that or they could let you enjoy the story yourself once the game is released.

You want the trailer to ME3 to contain spoilers too?

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 1:18PM Boardwalker said

@SiML

Actually, I find the PvP the most interesting thing so far about SW:TOR. It's all the other stuff that you mention, "meeting, corrupting or redeeming companion characters", that I find to be a "snoozefest". To each his own.

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 3:02PM Faction 3 said

• 1 heart
@Popplewell

Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read on these boards....and I've been through the "Puremallace" era...

I...I can't even say anything...

I need a drink after that one. Holy mackerel.

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 4:45PM Popplewell said

@Faction 3

If I can distress boneheads, idiots and the small minded then my time is not wholly wasted.

That whistling sound you hear from time to time is the meaning of everything passing over your head as you carve out the "Faction 3" era.

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 5:00PM Faction 3 said

@Popplewell

No, im pretty sure that whistling sound I hear is your brain deflating, and your head caving in around your ears.

You seriously expect me to believe a game with a budget more than some movies cannot express its main selling point to influence the very people who are going to play it, simply because of the possibility (which is yet to be considered a possibility) of "Spoiling the Plot'?!

Who said anything about spoilers anyway? I, and many others here, have yet to see any example of promised RPG elements that Bioware said would "change how a RPG is played", besides a couple 30 second cutscenes after character creation, trailers, and a single briefing to a Raid...

Seriously?

Perhaps you'll ride the Gravy-Train to Hypesville, but not many others here will, especially after being burned by many other games with supposed "revolutionary gameplay elements".

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 8:16PM Lucidus said

@SiML They can't show "story" -- otherwise you'll already be consuming content. And that's all SWTOR's got going for it.

If the DA2 "writers" were kept far, far away from this game, of course.

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 9:09PM Faction 3 said

@Lucidus

I don't think he's looking for plotlines, or story arcs; like me, he's simply looking for an EXAMPLE of how its used, and how it actually impacts the game overall.

I understand where you're coming from, but the basics are just not being discussed. At all. And thats what Popplewell fails (epically) at understanding, nobody is looking for major plotlines to be divulged, suprises being uncovered, or to know the fate of certain key individuals, just perhaps give an example of how story-driven gameplay elements affect the overall gameplay in general.

With the amount of RPG-Story Bioware has been constantly bragging about, im sure a 10 minute video about choices and gameplay consequences regarding said choices would "spoil" much story...

C'mon now...

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 12:34PM blackcat7k said

Thankfully it doesn't look too CC heavy. Or maybe its the fact people aren't experienced with the powers.

It seems players are actually durable so they get a few rounds before being downed. Seems like you need to coordinate fire in order to take people out quick.

Thankfully, I didn't see any one shot massive ganks. I wonder if item scaling will affect that significantly?

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 1:08PM Interitus said

That was a painfully boring video. I don't know if the player was using only one power or the SI animations all look the same but I didn't see much variety being used (compared to the number of skills showen)

And this isn't a very good example ofthe map, Massively, they didn't show under the central control point (it's even mentioned) or the other turrets, or much of the upper levels.

And DH really needs to work on their editing, that was just all over the place.

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 1:13PM Beergut said

A little to slow paced I think. It does look great though.

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 1:25PM Nai72 said

I like that I've seen so far from TOR. You can complain that is nothing new or innovative, but I think 1st and foremost Bioware want this game to be a hit so they are going to aim to satisfy the most common denominator (i.e. make is seem accessible and familiar to WoW players) so who can really blame them for sticking with what they know works.

Once the game is live, who knows how the game will develop. WoW isn't the same game now that it was when it launched... the one plus points to mmo is that they can change and develop over time.

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 1:33PM (Unverified) said

combat looks like shit. auto face? wtf. u dont even have to move ur mouse to hit some one.

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 1:49PM relgoth said

I keep hoping that as games progress that they will get a little more innovative with pvp but its starting to look like they wont be.

You can troll the first poster all you want but you have to face the fact that most of swtors presumed playerbase has played wow before and therefore has seen all the wow battlegrounds.

Ive been playing in those bgs off and on for 5 years and im interested in other mmos as well; but if they are same pvp template over and over why would i leave my current game just to pay another 50 bucks to play a copy with the same ideas just moved around?

Keep in mind im talking about pvp, not swtor pve because i have no clue what it entails.

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014