Posted: Aug 27th 2011 3:20PM (Unverified) said

It's the 1.20 patch that will really be the true relaunch with the class changes. Word of advice, two handed swords, if not, just take the horse out back and shoot it already.

Then the focus can finally get to the heart of a FF game, 6 more dungeons, and 4 more raids this year would be a good idea too.

Posted: Aug 27th 2011 4:39PM irontroll said

what i would be really interested in knowing is how many people truly play this game still. I have been watching the changes made and getting a bit willing to try the game again. But i do want to know if i will find other players out there...

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 10:00AM chum said

@irontroll

There's no way to know for sure how many are playing but I've been seeing a lot more people, old and new, on Wutai since 1.18. Honestly though, you need a LS to get the most out of the game so I'd suggest you wait until 1.19 or 20 which should make finding one much easier. There will be a lot of people wandering back looking for mates.

Posted: Aug 27th 2011 6:10PM (Unverified) said

Excellent. I can at least try a crafting/gathering character when I end up playing this game. I'd likely level a fighting class a bit if I get bored but only here and there I'd hope. FFXIV is shaping up to be something I may enjoy.

Posted: Aug 27th 2011 9:01PM Ekphrasis said

"...stripping out the fun of crafting..."

Personally, a big complex grindy timesink does not equal fun to me.

I like the idea of the robustness of FFXIV's crafting system but the fact that I would (currently) need to rely on a bunch of other players or level several crafting professions to get even the simplest usable item crafted is a huge turn off.

FFXIV has always felt like it was created to take up large amounts of my time with mind numbingly repetitive tasks without much reward while distracting me from the fact that there wasn't much else to do in the world.

I keep watching from a distance liking many of the changes but I can't help but think that some of the fundamentally broken mechanics (in my opinion) sit there un-addressed. Still, it's clear they're moving in the right direction so credit is due for that.

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 11:25AM (Unverified) said

A recent post by the producer (Yoshi P) said that early stages of crafting will be simple, require minimal mats to create same level items. As you level up your craft recipes will become a little more complex , when you reach the top tier of crafting expect demanding recipes for the top elite items.

I can't remember the exact break down but level 1-20 easy recipes
level 20-40 med recipes 40-50 complex recipes. (for final finished items)

Also HQ items are guaranteed if you use HQ mats.

Don't forget about materia fusion to enhance gear in 1.19 will bring a whole new market for crafters and gatherers.

As far as battle aspect for 1.19 stat changes are coming, multi-mob "open" claim system, monster link system, and XP chain and link bonus systems are being implemented.

Meaning we can now fight multiple monster at the same time for full XP, if we kill mobs back to back we get a XP bonus for each kill in succession, and if they were linked mobs, you get a bonus on top of that.

Mobs will "call for help" if the odds are stacked against them, so parties will have to think of crowed control and AOE management.

along with chocobos and airships 1.19 is looking to be an awesome update.