Posted: Aug 25th 2011 9:27AM (Unverified) said

The first major skills changes in Asheron's Call when melee and ranged weapons (minus thrown weapons ;P ) could actually compete with magic. A lot of crying happened, and I remember a few folks quitting over it, but it took guts to do a change like that, and made the game even more fun imo.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 10:52AM SnarlingWolf said

@(Unverified)

You should come see the changes AC has done over the past couple of years. It has improved a lot and a lot has been added.

They even implemented a tailoring system where you can take any of the same slot armor and put its appearance on a piece who's stats you like to further customize. I hear WoW is stealing that idea currently.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 9:29AM Syesta said

FFXI base XP increase for DC and below mobs.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 9:32AM Faction 3 said

@Evervile

Even though I stopped playing WoW over 2 years ago (as of July '09), I gotta admit, the Dual Specs was a pretty sweet deal. Especially with the Scrolls chaging over too. Like...all you needed really was the other gear depending on your specs. Shield for Prot Tank, etc.

That gets my vote.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 9:40AM (Unverified) said

I think the revamp for the entire leveling experience WoW: Cataclysm brought was my favorite change. I'm an altoholic and having a brand new experience to play through was very welcome. That and Old World flying, that was cool too :)

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 9:42AM (Unverified) said

WoW Archivist at Wowinsider actually reminded me of the best WoW patch ever -- 1.10. And it was a simple change... questing at the level cap turned XP into gold.

Back before this change, most (all?) MMOs forced you to grind dungeons and killing mobs endlessly, or to gather materials and sell them on auction houses -- it was the only way to make money at the end game. In a world where raids consisted of multiple wipes per night with expensive repair bills, you were always short on $.

An epic mount in WOW vanilla cost 60 gold and it took months to save enough to buy one. Ahn'Qiraj had raid-only mount drops, because they couldn't presume that tier 3 wow raiders would actually have epic mounts -- that's how bad it was.

So yeah... a reason to quest at the level cap. Best patch ever. We've come so far as a community and as players in the past decade.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 10:02AM dtoast said

@(Unverified) 60 gold? I remember it costing 1000 gold. Maybe you're remembering bits from the burning crusade expansion as well.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 9:50AM madcartoonist said

Being able to talk to a NPC while still mounted in LOTRO.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 10:05AM Ogged said

There were so many QoL features / bug fixes in the MMOs I played, I need to name a few :)

The addition of spellcrafting & alchemy in DAoC.
Fixing the reload bug of the JEPP in AO.
Master level credit for atlantean glass in DAoC.
Fixing the reload bug of the JEPP in AO (attempt #2).
Single target buffs changed to AoE in CoH.
Fixing the reload bug of the JEPP in AO (attempt #3).
Flying mounts in WoW.
Finally fixing the reload bug of the JEPP in AO (took only 4 years)

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 10:23AM NathanAllen said

SWG: Jump to Lightspeed, not because of the money-sink spaceships with no impact on the ground game, but becasue you no longer had to stand around waiting for the shuttle.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 10:47AM Ardra Diva said

@NathanAllen
Was an awesome upgrade, too. Player owned ships of various kinds, explorable and decorate-able ship interiors, you could invite friends to travel with you, orbit planets while gazing at them out of the side windows, freeform space combat in the "wing commander" tradition...

A shame TOR won't give you anything remotely like that.

Why do we keep going backwards in MMOS?

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 11:09AM Faryon said

@Ardra Diva
Because the people with money won't give it to the devs unless the devs promise to take no chances and develop something which has proven to be successful several times in the past..

Anyways, to get back on topic:
Yes, JTL is probably #1 for me too simply because it felt like something totally new and refreshing.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 11:36AM (Unverified) said

@NathanAllen

Actually. SWG was all about community. Not having to wait for shuttles killed a vital social hub on SWG servers.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 4:32PM Ardra Diva said

@(Unverified)
It was nothing compared to the NGE and deletion of Battle Fatigue. Cantinas were dead overnight.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 10:28AM Quarlo said

The new shooter mode and revamped sector space in STO. Ground combat used to be OK (though some HATED it) but the new shooter mode made ground combat fun. The old sector space blew chunks but now it absolutely stunning.

Though I dont play it anymore - Dual Specs in WoW really changed the way players raided in the game.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 10:44AM Ardra Diva said

It was years ago, but the Luclin expansion for original Everquest was earthshattering. Not only for new content, but because of a major graphic overhaul and upgrade that made the world look 100% better (especially avatars).

I know of no other game that has launched a completely overhauled graphic engine with entirely new avatars and environment upgraded to such an extent.

The Dx10-Dx11 updates for LOTRO do not come close to the leap ahead Luclin was over the Kunark/Velious-era version of Everquest.

And by God, it's time someone did it. EQII has had minor updates but nothing like the Luclin upgrade.

I want to see a game like WoW or Lotro or something at least 4 years old dare to extend their lifespans with a new graphic re-tooling.

At least gimme some new hairdos. Geez.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 10:49AM GrumpyGnome said

Hmmm, Best expansion was EQ The Scars of Velious...so much great content.

My favorite little fix...EQ2 harvesting nodes: Being able to harvest multiples rather than 1 per harvest attempt. I love EQ2 at release, but harvesting was a serious chore back then.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 11:05AM Poordevil said

My favorite MMO is Age of Conan and the best change to the game was the the addition of vanity slots when Unchained launched. I don't know why vanity slots were not part of the game at launch!

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 11:18AM tonyn84 said

Warcraft, patch 2.0 or whatever preparing for TBC, when Paladins finally got a full set of tanking skills. I had a great guild at the time that actually gave us a chance to raid tank and I've been doing it ever since.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 11:28AM Riddled said

I know it was forever ago but as a cleric day 1 in EQ when you could meditate without looking at your spell book was the best change ever. I once had a girlfriend lounging about while I was farming with a few friends that asked "is that fun for you, looking at that book allnday?"

Perfect Ten: My World of Warcraft launch memories