Posted: Aug 25th 2011 11:14AM Berzerk said

Perpetuum seems seems to be moving at a really fast clip. I wonder what will happen once they've mirrored all the content in EVE.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 11:34AM DeadlyAccurate said

@Berzerk They're doing better than that. They're starting to become their own game. I've even found myself saying, "I wish EVE did that," instead of "I wish this game did [X] the way EVE does" more and more.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 1:20PM Digestivo said

Perpetuum's community is great, a bit sectarian maybe (in the sense they're always trying to abduct you into their game), but very friendly.

That said, the game looks already dated because of its blatant disregard for the details. I'll consider to try again the game when they manage to build their own identity.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 11:56AM (Unverified) said

Yes Deadlyaccurate is right, if it's obvious that initial inspiration was coming from EvE, now CCP could take some idea from Perpetuum (especially from intrusion 2.0 that could do for 0.0 revamp)
If you wonder how is the game, there is a free 15 days trial, the client is rather light (less that 700m ?) and subscription is a little bit lower than classical mmo
There is a big EvE community in the game, a little more friendly than in EvE :)

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 1:08PM xyberviri said

Perpetuum is one of the only Scifi games out there and continues to be loads of fun.

Yes EvE is sci fi and there are similarities in both games but honestly thats like saying that Wow is Just a Ever Quest with Orcs and Ever Quest was just Ultima Online in 3rd person versus 2d isometric

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 1:17PM Gaugamela said

So how is the population of this game? Did they manage to retain the EVE players that fled because of the monoclegate?

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 2:03PM (Unverified) said

@Gaugamela

Yes a fair number, I'd say around 60-70% of the eve exodus stuck around. The game is going strong. The latest patch added and fixed a lot of things that were imbalanced. Sadly it also destroyed the remote repair role. But hopefully they will fix that in the next patch.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 3:12PM Plastic said

Due to EVE's huge popularity and feverish fanbase, I have tried multiple times to "get into" it. Two 14-day trials and one 21-day trial later, and I've yet to ever have the urge to subscribe.

I subscribed to Perpetuum the second day into my free trial, and I haven't regretted it yet.

I'm not arguing that Perpetuum is objectively a better game than EVE, but I have no doubt that many people will prefer it given the chance, even those, like myself, that could never really get into EVE.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 4:02PM Digestivo said

It's funny how we always end up by talking about EVE in Perpetuum's news. Any single reply here was about EVE, that's just a curious objective fact.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 4:04PM Digestivo said

@Digestivo
*every reply talked about eve. Sorry typo.

Posted: Aug 28th 2011 4:28AM Marak said

It's a good game. I've been playing it for a couple months now and it has some of the best "PvP training" style PvE combat that you'll find.

Many find the PvE a tad tough. They try and run up, sit there and tank the stuff. That doesn't work well unless they have a second account sitting there trained to remote repair. Also, bigger is not better for all targets.

You move, keep moving as you fight the stuff. The NPC's tend to come at you in groups, etc... The biggest problem up to these fixes has been with how repetitive it gets for many. Folks tend to go find a spot and "farm it" for hours because that spot is easy. Easy gets boring fast in any game so many have found themselves bored quickly with things.

IMO - move around. Try things. Losing a bot can seem costly but training in the game is cheap and replacing it... It's not that big a deal and you'll learn how to deal with a variety of situations vs the usual "read a guide". Experiment a bit and you'll find it a lot more challenging.

MMO Week in Review: Happy New Year!

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 8:00PM