Posted: Aug 24th 2011 10:24AM Nandini said

I suggest people avoid this game unless they can find it on sale for $10 - $15. At that price, it might worth it just as a change of scenery during the free month. Do yourself a favor first and do the 3-day free trial. (Yes, the trial is only 3 days.)

Don't expect more than month of things to do, though. Pretty much all it has is questing to level 30. (An experienced player recently did this in 9 hours.) There are a few low level dungeons, but good luck finding anyone to do them with you. The servers rarely have more than one or two dozen players on.

Even though the Heatwave team is friendly, don't mistake that for a good game. They're small, they're slow, and they're sloppy.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 10:37AM BigAndShiny said

Essentially the way I would describe the GNH team is as if a team of 10 devs had taken over development of RIFT 2/3 through completion.

They are simply too small to handle the problems of what was essentially a $50,000,000 AAA MMO.

Having said that they are bringing out the expansion with new zones, instances etc in October, so they are working hard I would say.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 10:40AM real65rcncom said

All the people with hair should have been on one side, then all the people showing shiny tops should have been on the other, and then the lady sitting in the middle running the show.

I would have loved that visual.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 11:55AM nathanb said

@real65rcncom

Yeah, that dynamic struck me as well. I was wondering if there was something in the water down there.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 12:06PM nathanb said

Well, I have to say that I am disappointed by the delivery of the next set of content. Too bad it wasn't disclosed earlier, because it's been a carrot for a while, but hey have improved their development process recently (feedback primarily) and the combat fixes just released do help make melee classes smoother. I'm all for focusing on the core bug fixes and have been pushing for it, but there are cases where patches will break a quest and it takes them time to fix it. One or twice is OK, but with every patch, there's another break. QA needs improvement.
Now with that said, I do like the game a lot and it's potential. The environment is nice (no elves or dwarves). The vision, while vague, is promising and I am a patient man and I can only see them improving as time goes on. I purchased a lifetime subscription due to my play style (1-2 times a week tops) and my dislike for subscriptions. I don't mind slow content, but I worry about the viability of the game long term. If they delay longer than next year, I don't think players will return, which is unfortunate. If you do have the $, then as mentioned $15 is nothing (come on now, console games that sell for $60 can be much worse) and if you really like it, then I think a lifetime is the way to go right now in my opinion. It allows you to come and go as you please and I'm sure SWTOR will get burnout next year.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 12:20PM Nandini said

@nathanb I disagree about a lifetime subscription being "the way to go right now."

For the cost of a lifetime subscription ($199.99), I can purchase 20 one-month subscriptions ($199.80) and use that play time at my leisure, when there's actually a month's worth of things to do.

Or I could purchase 7 three-month subscriptions ($195.93) and divide my time in to three-month chunks. I doubt there will ever be three month's worth of things to do in a single stretch in this game at any point, though, let alone six or twelve months.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 12:55PM nathanb said

@Nandini

but that's such a PITA

buy the lifer and your done

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 1:26PM Daemodand said

In this Q&A did they answer the the most obvious question, "WTF were you thinking?"

First Impressions: LEGO Minifigures Online