Posted: Aug 24th 2011 4:38PM Vunak said

FFXI, it was originally released for the PS2 so yea. FFXIV is nice as well but when I beta tested that I was more fond of the keyboard and mouse.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 5:15PM Jenks said

I LOVE using a gamepad for PC games and MMOs, but mostly when the game is designed for it (Global Agenda, Champions Online, FFXI, etc). I don't have great success with xpadder or whatever programs.

For the adventurous, there is a homemade driver that allows the use of the xbox controller chatpad on a pc. It is AMAZING, and essential to truly play an MMO keyboard free. It's not incredibly easy to install and use, but it is well worth the hassle.

A reference picture for you PC only gamers:

You can download it here:

or read about the contest that started it here:

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 7:33PM Bramen said

yeah FFXI was a dream on a controller.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 8:41PM Darkerson420 said

Some alternatives to Joy2Key are:

Xpadder. This is heads and feet above anything joy2Key can do.

Switchblade (Although it may be defunct, the last version still runs pretty good)
Pics

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 12:41AM Stinkfinger75 said

Joy2Key is a bit clunky in my opinion. A much better option is Pinnacle Game Profiler. www.pinnaclegameprofiler.com

I have been using it for year upon year and find it to be mostly intuitive and incredibly robust in what it lets you do. Trying to shoehorn a traditional MMO layout (WoW for instance) can be difficult, but for any other type game it works like a charm. Even complex games never meant for controllers, like Stalker, are infinitely playable (and enjoyable) on a controller.

I find that using a controller for an MMO to be better as a compliment to the standard keyboard/mouse controls. You could use Pinnacle to setup complex chains of hot bar commands to be fired off with the press of one button.

About the robustness, you can map each button, stick, dpad direction to a single command or create multiple commands per button that react to things like press and holds and double presses. For example, in Stalker I have it set up so that directions on my dpad are weapon hotkeys and pressing and holding any dpad direction will switch the ammo type.

Furthermore, you can also really drill down into the controls and get very granular with your setups. In Battlefield 2 I wanted throwing a grenade to be more like it is in Halo (I know, I know) where a single button press throws a grenade. So I set it up so that a button would, switch to grenades, pause for just enough time to throw the grenade, and then switch back to my last weapon used all in one button press. Very handy. Well, maybe less handy since your hand has to do far less work.

Unlike Joy2Key it's not free, however there is a 30 trial. Give it a look.
www.pinnaclegameprofiler.com

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 2:11AM Sherbert said

I loved playing Champions Online with a controller, I performed better in PvP and everything using one on top of the comfort! Even though I prefer M/K 99% of the time a controller will reign supreme for comfort in my opinion. But for any MMO where you need more than 5 or 6 action buttons, like a hotbar, then it's difficult to have the controller. Champions handled it pretty well though where you could have like 5 hotbar items assigned to buttons and then when holding down the left trigger I believe it was, it would switch hotbars while the key was held down and you can use those same 5 buttons for even more abilities. Pretty slick.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 4:41PM Djinn said

The problem with a controller in MMOs is not being able to type in chat.

Posted: Aug 26th 2011 11:29AM Jenks said