Posted: Aug 24th 2011 6:10PM Graill440 said

The military developed a program to address CT 10 years back, its easy but lengthy (and sometimes a bit painfull) and requires no surgery. I thought i touched on this in detail one time a couple years back when this subject came up here on Massively. Anyway, gl on the ct problem Beau, i know it can be painful but cureable.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 12:15AM elliotrock said

@Beau Hindman

Sorry to hammer things in a different direction but perhaps extensive warming up and stretches on hands and wrist is better than finding a different way to attribute to the same problem.

I did Aikido for many years and still stretch/warm up several times a day for a fair few minutes - not as good as I use to be thou. Also exercising arms/shoulders/wrists helps, get a broom and roll it alternating your hand, both directions. Grab an axe and chop wood. Sweep the yard! Just use you hands and wrists!

Good article btw. I am all for mouse/controller modifications!

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 12:31AM Beau Hindman said

@elliotrock I walk an hour a day and do yoga four or five times a week. I can bend in half. hehe From what the doc told me, I have probably formed callouses from years of drumming and art and surgery could correct some of that, rest and ice would correct it otherwise.

Thanks for the advice, though. I do a ton of stretching but lately not as much wrists stretches. I'll concentrate on those again! :)

Beau

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 12:43PM Godsafk said

I use a controller to play global agenda because I am just that good. And it should be a console game.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 12:47PM Ardra Diva said

My solution was to use my mouse Left handed at work and Right handed at home. Really helps me manage wear-and-tear on my wrists. I have always been a little bit ambidextrous so it wasn't difficult.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 1:41PM mystique said

I use a Logitech rumblepad wireless controller. prefer controller to keyboard, but for some games just gotta bite the bullet and use keyboard. Should get used to keyboard cuz won't be able to use controller for GW2 ;).

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 4:05PM (Unverified) said

@mystique Not even via JoyToKey? I highly doubt that.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 1:48PM Ordegar said

Note that some games support controllers directly. Vindictus, for example, supports XB360 controllers and others. I believe Dungeons and Dragons Online also directly supports game controllers.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 2:09PM Nerves said

I've never used a controller to play before, (although I know one person that plays the Warden class in lotro using one - they have 4 basic skills you use to make combos). What I have done is use an N52 in my left hand and a trackball in my right. No movement is required on either and you can recline in an easy chair. Put your keyboard in your lap if you need to type something.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 2:38PM Syesta said

Absolutely.
FFXI and FFXIV are wonderful to play with a gamepad. It very clearly brings out their console heritage.
Action MMOs require gamepads for me. Use for TERA, Vindictus, Rusty Hearts, and PSU. Guaranteed to continue the tradition once PSO2 goes live.

Overall, I think I game more on PC with a Gamepad than M/K.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 2:51PM CaptKillsteal said

For those of you using an X360 controller, can you bind a button to ventrilo for PTT?

I think that's the deciding factor on whether I go buy one right now..

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 3:17PM (Unverified) said

@CaptKillsteal Well it stands to reason that if you bind a controller button to the same key you have as your PTT, that pushing that button would activate your PTT.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 3:29PM (Unverified) said

@CaptKillsteal

Yes you can, if your PTT button is say left-control, joy to key will map one of your controller buttons to left-control, then you can use that controller button to talk.

Commenting on the main article, I depend on using a controller to play MMOs, so the question of how well it can be played with a controller is a major factor in choosing the right game for me. Currently I play Champions Online, and it has the best controller support of any MMO I've played with.

The last thing I want to note, is that pinnacle profiler is a 20$ program that is much, much better than joy to key. It has a lot more features, although the biggest one, is smoothing out the controller-mouse mapping.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 2:58PM (Unverified) said

The more I watch GW2's gameplay, the more I think I might play it with a controller. This was a well timed article for me, thanks Beau!

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 3:11PM Tizmah said

I feel more comfortable with a mouse and keyboard. Joysticks are a huge pain. Can't stand them.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 3:44PM Janitor said

Only FFXI/FFXIV are good with controllers. I tried DCUO with one and I still preferred the keyboard.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 3:45PM Chiren said

Wonder why the article doesn't mention FFXI when everyone commenting obviously does.

FFXI with controller is the way to go - I've gong through 1 crappy radioshack PC-PS2 adapter, 1 wired ps2 controller when I didn't even own a ps2, and two even crappier logitech cordless controllers all in the name of FFXI.

Would love to see more MMOs designed to be controller friendly. There's a naturalness to the movement with controller that brings a bit of life to the character you can't get with mouse and keyboard.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 4:10PM (Unverified) said

Do any of these JoyToKey type programs disable the keyboard/mouse bits that you are assigning to the controller? I could see using the controller for extended combat, but I tend to "go social" for long periods of time and I'd like to be able to just put the controller down and play "as normal" (via Keyboard) for less strenuous/combative sessions. As it stands, I don't even touch my mouse in WoW combat (relax, I don't raid or PVP :P ), so controller for a future game that I don't have years of habit built up with might be fun!

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 7:09PM Yarr said

@(Unverified) - I don't know about some of the software listed here, but I've used Logitech Rumblepad 2 and F710 controllers with Logitech's (rather limited and sometimes flakey) software and they don't have any effect on the mouse or keyboard. So you can play with any combination of controller / mouse / keyboard you like.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 12:18AM TheFlameCrow said

@(Unverified)

I know xPadder is just assigning the keyboard keys to the game pad, nothing on the keyboard is turned off. I would assume this is true for the other programs as well.

WRUP: Limited-time reunion show edition