Posted: Aug 24th 2011 11:07AM fallwind said

you may want to take note that it usually takes two gathering professions to support a single crafting

EG: You need mining and butchering to be an armorsmith.

or, you could always buy my mats off FB's auctionhouse :)

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 11:15AM BigAndShiny said

I want to know how you feel Rift's combat in the first 10 levels compares to SW:TOR which I presume you have played.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 11:20AM (Unverified) said

What shard are you playing on, Mr. Everett? Maybe I missed it, but I even tried using the "find" feature for "shard" and found nothing >.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 11:29AM JuliusSeizure said

@(Unverified)

Faeblight. Should have searched for "server".

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 11:31AM (Unverified) said

Foraging to go along with Apothecary and Butchery to make some money. I'd like to see how useful that crafting profession is with all the potions as I never used it before.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 11:44AM epilepticemu said

@(Unverified) Potions are SUPER useful for questing.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 11:59AM (Unverified) said

Voted butchery, outfitting, runecrafting. Making your own leather armor is pretty useful and you can runebreak the products. Pretty self-suffficient.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 12:56PM epilepticemu said

@(Unverified) He's a cleric.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 12:53PM (Unverified) said

The gods are cruel if you follow the vote as it currently stands. Of course, the gods were cruel when they made you a Defiant, poor misguided soul. :P

Apothecary is a great profession, but mining is useless for it and you really do need foraging!

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 9:53PM nathanb said

@(Unverified)
@Defiants should follow their own path

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 12:57PM (Unverified) said

"This proceeds to get more confusing when you are required to choose between which sets of armor or weapon you want as a quest reward."

The nice thing about Rift, is that there is always a reward choice useful to your character (unlike other games *cough* WoW *cough* I could mention). For both armor and weapon quest rewards, there always seems to be one for each archetype, so it makes the choice pretty clear cut (at least, that has been my experience).

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 2:06PM Celtar said

I voted Apothecary with Foraging to support it and Artificing as the third. Good trio of skills.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 2:08PM Celtar said

@Celtar

Darn it, I meant Apothecary and Foraging to support it with the third being Runebreaking. (mutter)

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 2:57PM Nyghtsaber said

Hey Larry I just started playing Rift this month also and I'm really lovin' the unique social interactions created by Rifts and Zone Events.

If I can make some suggestions I'd recommend you try Faeblight realm (PvE-RP). I started on Galena but it's ok yet not a strong community. Faeblight however has been amazing.

Also as far a profs are concerned, they are not very important or impactful while you're leveling IMO. There's no benefits to your character's stats so I'd pick what you like, or go with all the gathering profs on your main and make crafting alts. Like LotRO, there's no level requirements for crafting profs so a level 5 alt can max out a prof.

Also learn the MACRO system very well. It's, without a doubt, the best one in an MMO I've seen in over 10 yrs of playing. I learned it well and now the combat feels more fun and less tedious. Read up about builds and macros for your class. Cleric "Duracell" build btw, is AMAZING!

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help out. I've learned A LOT about the game this first month and can help you with some starting woes perhaps.

Send me a tweet if you need to contact me too.

@Nyghtsaber

Good Luck.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 3:03PM Nepentheia said

Yay! You're on Faeblight! *puts you on my friend's list so I can pester you...*

Gosh, if I only had ONE character on a server, I think I'd go with all three gathering professions (and have friends or guildmates who can make you the items you need)--to sell the materials on the AH (for the most part, raw materials sell for much more than items crafted from those raw materials).

Or... if you did have alts...
Have your main focus on all three gathering professions (Butchery, Foraging, and Mining).
Then create two alts.
One alt focuses on Outfitter, Apothecary, and Runecrafter.
The other alt focuses on Armorsmithing, Weaponsmithing, and Artificer.

And thus begins the tangled web of having crafting alts. (And it gets even more complicated if you want those crafters to get max reputation to get all the recipes, etc, etc...)

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 9:21PM SwobyJ said

Woo you're on Faeblight :) My Lv 50 is on the Guardian side, so I'll have to either use my low level Bahmi rogue or make a new alt to find you :)

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 9:35AM Reverend St Jay said

The only comment I would make regarding the difficulty of soul selection (not that I'm defending their current practices mind you) is that any combination of three souls can get you to level 13, at which point you can do the quests to unlock all of the different souls for your character.

Now, having said that, my personal belief is that soul selection should be the quest, not the quest reward. Especially when the quest is your standard 'go here, do this, visit that person for a reward'. I have always been a fan of the Guild Wars theory of "Here, try these secondary skills to see if they fit your primary profession, come back and let us know if you'd like to try more".

Global Chat: Blaugust triumphant