Posted: Aug 25th 2011 12:11AM Scarecrowe said

Eh, can't find myself interested in a villain group that's been around for 7 years that is primarily motivated by drugs.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 12:39AM Stormwalker said

Don't forget Grendel, the Troll king that Atta killed and replaced. An area of the Hollows is named for him.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 4:13AM J Brad Hicks said

That it drops their IQ down to the low 30s or high 20s hardly seems like "all up-side."

Interesting factoid: up until the next issue, almost all non-natural origin, non-tech origin characters that start as villains have taken at least one dose of Superadine in their lives: as a cure for the suppressor drugs that are administered in Ziggursky Penitentiary. Because, left out of the above account, a single dose of Superadine is enough to activate or awaken any latent super powers, any powers you didn't know you had yet. That's what the drug was invented for, by [SPOILER REDACTED], as part of a larger plot so that he could [RIDICULOUSLY LONG SPOILER REDACTED].

A "Troll" is what happens to someone who takes 'Dyne, finds out they have no powers, and keeps taking the stuff anyway ... eventually it turns you into either a super strength/invulnerability or super strength/stone armor brute with serious anger management issues and the IQ of a below-average house pet.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 6:01AM Grinstone said

Brad hit the nail on the head. Imagine if there existed a drug that could turn you into a movie or music star. You take a dose because... what the hell, just one dose won't hurt and it could turn you int a SUPERSTAR! (Imagine lots of stars and glitter on that word.) Okay, so the first dose didn't work. Maybe it was a dud. Maybe you need an extra push. You did feel a bit more spectacular after that first dose. Maybe that was just the 'dyne or maybe it's your inner "star power" waiting to bust out.

I'm actually surprised more hasn't been done with them, especially since the Superadyne Raid is already in game. Strong, tough, and stupid - sounds like a villain's ultimate super soldier.

Not to mention the damage this stuff could do if it were introduced to the Rogue Isles.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 10:04AM Raithnor said

@Grinstone

I think Arachnos probably "regulates" the Superdine traffic in pretty heavily. I do know the Marcones are the Civilian governors of Port Oaks, but I have a feeling Arachons only allows the trafficking of Superdine to Paragon and shuts down any local distribution to prevent Troll outbreaks.

I do know the Praetorians-version "Fixadine" is an improved version of "Superdine", it turns them red but they don't have IQ loss and it doesn't mutate people into Trolls.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 11:01AM Grinstone said

@Raithnor

Yeah, no doubt. I'm certain they're very aware of most things that could be a threat to their power monopoly. Still, it'd be an interesting scenario and I can imagine it'd be tempting for a vigilante character. Sort of a cross between "free the people" and raising an army to fight Arachnos at the same time.

Kinda like the Outbreak in the hero tutorial, but on a massive scale.

Posted: Aug 26th 2011 5:42PM Stormwalker said

@Raithnor Fixadine does, however, turn them into rage-aholics.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 9:25AM Raithnor said

Julius the Troll is an aberration. He's a Troll who didn't get the super-strength of Superdine, but he also didn't suffer IQ loss however it still transformed him.

I remember reading somewhere in the lore that turning into a Troll basically turns them genderless, not just sterile. So the troll you are fighting could have been a male or female at one point. I remember this bit of trivia because I once team with a Villain that was a female troll. Her backstory was she was a high school/college swimmer who turned to Superdine the same way athletes sometimes use steroids. I thought "Why don't we see female Trolls in-game?", afterward I found in the lore it was because they all mutate into the "standard Troll"

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 12:39PM Daemodand said

@Raithnor I think he did lose some IQ. Notice how his use of language is stunted just like every other Troll. The difference is that his sense of morality is intact, unlike every other Troll.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 1:27PM Stormwalker said

My main villain (well, Rogue) is a female troll. Super Strength/Willpower Brute, and she is awesome to play. I wrote it into her backstory that she didn't suffer the IQ drop due to a genetic anomoly she has, but if she gets pissed off enough, her speech can devolve into "ME SMASH YOU!"

She's more or less She-Hulk with horns and anger-management issues.

PAX Prime 2014: Strife learns from the past