Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 12:48PM epilepticemu said

I LOVE what Shadowbane tried to be, and this was a pretty good interview, but if you haven't asked the 2nd part yet, PLEASE get a bit more hardball. Do they see any games that are filling Shadowbane's shoes? Also, what specifically did they have in mind to end police-state type servers?

Posted: Aug 26th 2011 10:58PM RegularDude said

@epilepticemu www.shadowbaneemulator.com

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 12:56PM dinhosaur said

Much love to these guys... shadowbane was a potentially amazing game that never made it. But it was better to have tried and failed to attempt such a vision, as opposed to just shoveling out some generic pve mmo.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 1:10PM Coolit said

Are they ever going to release the code?

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 1:45PM Tiran Kenja said

@Coolit Ubisoft owns Shadowbane. So they cannot release the source unless they can hash a deal out with them

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 1:46PM Silverel said

The penultimate question, when are they going to give up the kiddie playland and make a proper Shadowbane 2?

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 4:44PM epilepticemu said

@Silverel When a niche game would make more money than a kiddie play land?

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 4:49PM Silverel said

@epilepticemu because their original endeavor was somehow focused on money, right? Did you read the article?

They knew it wasn't gonna rake in the cash back in the day. The niche for PvP is MUCH larger now and they'd stand a much better chance at being profitable.

By all means though, keep fighting the good fight. Pandering to the lowest common denominator will last forever and will always generate loads of cash. It also means you won't be doing anything of significant interest.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 9:52AM epilepticemu said

@Silverel

Uhh, did YOU read the article? Yes, obviously Shadowbane was a labor of love. And it sounds like the project made them run screaming from the idea any more labors of love.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 1:46PM Tiran Kenja said

I'm guessing part two has already been done? If not it would be interesting to hear what happened to Stray Bullet Games.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 3:44PM paterah said

@Tiran Kenja I thought most of their members made Faxion Online?

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 7:44AM Tiran Kenja said

First I heard about it. If so someone have not been updating the Stray Bullet Games wikipedia article to reflect it then ;)

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 3:56PM (Unverified) said

Is it just me, or does the guy on the right look like Mark Cuban with a small head?

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 10:03PM scottsummer said

can't wait for part 2.

Shadowbane has the vision of a perfect pvp game, but the lag and the lack of PVE killed the game (mainly lag tho.)

imagine a SB like MMO with proper PvE, what a dream game for pvp players.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 12:08AM (Unverified) said

@scottsummer ^This: a million times.

I really hope the second part to this interview includes asking them if they'd ever consider doing a spiritual successor to SB. I hope they realize how many players they could get if they did the same things in concept, but with modern technology.

If you build it, they will come!

PS: guys, if you do make a new "SB" game...please buy an established engine :p

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 9:56AM epilepticemu said

@(Unverified) I'm speaking out of total ignorance, but how hard is it to get rights to use an established engine? It seems like many more studios would do this if it feasible...

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 7:25PM Eric Francis said

Probably still the best MMO ive played. All this F2P bullshit makes me sick, where they are just trying to nickle and dime you instead of giving everyone the same sandbox to play in. There is not a single MMO right now (beside GW2) that i feel excited for in the least.

What i liked most about Shadowbane, is that the world was open-ended. You could run around the map and find different levels of monsters.

I tried that in fallen earth, ran for 30minutes and the only thing i could find is reds I couldnt kill, and it cemented my view of the game as a "ride on rails" type of game. Do village A, then B, then C. No exploration at all. Unfortunatly, most of the games now are like this, or fail hard trying to do a game like this (earthrise).

Posted: Aug 26th 2011 7:09PM rockkw said

Shadowbane was by the far the most thrilling gaming experience I have ever had, I remember getting my ass handed to me the first night leaving noob island. A thief back stabbed me just outside of Khar...twice!

Then came the battles.. I was a PKr at heart coming from mostly RPG and FPS games. The layers involved in this game were so vast, there is something for everyone....everyone that likes their games served up hardcore that is.

Still to this day there is quite a following for Shadowbane...i think the game has achieved cult status as the best PVP MMO ever.

Rock aka Vindi

Posted: Aug 31st 2011 1:06AM (Unverified) said

I'd like to take the opportunity to say thank you for an amazing 6+ years of gaming. However many problems SB had in the beginning, you guys nailed so many things down that have yet to be duplicated in any game since. Any MMO I've touched since always ends up being measured against it... and so far they've all fallen short.

The market, btw, is ripe for Shadowbane 2. And you'd have a rabid horde of fans leading the way in. Definitely a 100K-500K initial box sale endeavor imo. Go on... give in to your blood thirsty natures. ;)

Posted: Nov 5th 2011 1:04PM airbear65 said

I anxiously await SB2. It was my first MMO and THE BEST for those things they did well. PVP, world politics, spies, economics, reduced "level grinding", race diversity. I could go on and on.

Of course.. every bane battle was a lag fest.. that would have to be fixed. And it was fairly flat.. not a lot of questing. I would say more questing. Oh I hate that it takes me months to level up a new character in WoW, Lotro, Aion,.. Let's not build that into it.

I would drop everything for a chance at SB2. Seriously, is there real consideration for SB2?

Leeza - Mourning Server