Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 10:14AM Dril said

Absolutely not essential.

Desirable? Yes.
Nifty? Yes.

But I played WoW for 6 years whilst other games around it had appearance tabs, and yet I didn't play them.

As ever, graphics over gameplay. And I put appearance tabs firmly in the gameplay category.

I'd much rather a game have WoW's combat than LOTRO's appearance customisation.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 10:14AM Dril said

@Dril

"And I put appearance tabs firmly in the gameplay category."

Wow, fail. I put them in the graphics category :/

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 10:21AM epilepticemu said

I think it's safe to assume that the author doesn't know the definition of the word "essential." Maybe we should just assume he meant "appealing" and go from there?

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 11:41AM Jef Reahard said

@epilepticemu

Not really a safe assumption across the board, as I've quit games over the lack of this feature. So, yeah, kind of the definition of essential.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 11:50AM epilepticemu said

@Jef Reahard Oh! Like that time I shot my dentist because I hated his tie!

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 12:25PM Celtar said

@Jef Reahard

Agreed Jef, it really is essential to my play as well, I dealt with the lack of it in WoW for far to long. Going back to full time active in LotRo and working all the crafting skills at once( tend to go over board and work them in tandom) I remembered how much I really loved the option of having this ability to further define my characters from other characters.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 10:34AM Vegetta said

WOW really needs this - When I was still playing (Ages ago) I really hated how all of my toons looked like walking Skittles ads.

I hope more more games add appearance tabs. I like getting my characters to look just right (in my eyes anyway)

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 10:36AM AtticusCreed said

Depends on the game but IMO decent customization is a big plus for any game.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 10:45AM cored said

Man, I hated the over-sized, Japanime look of a lot of the gear in WoW. Having a separate shoulder slot is goofy enough, do I have to look like a shogun reject? And swords twice the height of the gnomes wielding them...meh.

I remember on the forums, the community guys would say stuff like, "our artists are very proud of their work and want you to wear it." WTF? I just wanna wear other stuff that your artists created...

And I totally do not buy the PvP argument, but even this seemed like a cop-out. They could simply have added a toggle to see players' actual equipment. That sounded kinda dirty...

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 11:20AM Heraclea said

Another game that recently added appearance tabs is Age of Conan. There, design failure seems to have definitely been at work.

There are interesting pieces that drop in the game up to around level 40. There are interesting pieces at level 80. There are a handful of interesting pieces that drop in the group dungeons in between. But for the most part, gear between levels 40 and 80 consists of variations on a brown leather skirt/kilt and shirt.

Like a lot of things about that game at launch, I suspect there was a rush to get it out the door. They seem to have a designer working on it who left or was fired or they ran out of money to pay, leaving them with only a handful of designs to cover the second half of the levelling content. Most of the tiered raiding gear is also a set of minimal reskins or recolors, with little differentiating the tier 1 from tier 3.

For a game whose unique atmosphere always was a part of its draw, this was not the best place to cut costs.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 11:23AM FrostPaw said

When I started playing mmos there wasn't an appearence tab in any of them.

Appearence tabs are nice, I think any attempt by a developer to leave out such a feature in the long term is a mistake but I can understand why it wouldn't be important to include it on launch day with so many other features to work on.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 12:29PM Celtar said

@FrostPaw

When I first started playing online rpgs there was a lot more flexibility then we currently now see. Whether its was critter drop item, merchant auction item, or player crafted, there was always a chance of making some GM run npc merchant that would further add to the item or alter its appear for you.

Which really gave you and the GMs more flexibility as to what could be done. I find myself sometimes missing the one of the kind looking gear and characters I once played in games like Gemstone III/IV or Dragonrealms, both by Simutronics.

I keep waiting for graphical rpgs to catch up to what can be done in the text versions. :) Slowly it is getting there and some day it will be, sooner than later I think.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 11:49AM epilepticemu said

Oh! Like that time I shot my dentist because I hated his tie!

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 12:48AM Celtar said

@epilepticemu

Been trolling long?

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 11:48AM Tornadojoe said

Appearance tabs are not a necessity for me but definitely a welcome addition that WoW has needed to offer for many years. It was always nice to tailor my character to look how I wanted when I wanted all the years I played EQ2. WoW is supremely more "cookie cutter" where everyone wears the same gear, everyone look the same and it gets quite boring in that respect. Now we can finally have some customization on our toons no matter how trivial.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 12:00PM (Unverified) said

I do not agree with the initial post.
Appearance tabs are not a design failure.
It is actually something that allows us to be unique in the game like we are unique in real life.
It is actually boring to see everyone wearing the same outfit because that outfit has the best stats ingame.

What I find wrong with the system that Blizzard is adding is that you have to pay gold to use the feature, and that everytime you change your gear for better stats you have to apply the outfit on it again.

That's why I really likes the outfit system in Rift.
It was free, and you could change your stats items without changing your outfit.
Even better, you could have more than 1 outfit.
Of course you have to pay for the other outfit tabs, but that it ok.
At least 1 is free.

So Blizzard got it wrong and got it too late.

They should maybe start to listen to their players instead of deciding what is best for us.
Maybe they would start again to get more players to join instead of having more players to leave...

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 12:11PM Ref Minor said

I agree, my avatar just wouldn't look right without my monocle

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 12:27PM Grumms said

Now none of these items keep the "authenticity". I remember rolling out my ORIGINAL Tier 1 and some people asked me what it was or just told me they couldn't believe I still had it.

Now, that is gone. Too late.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 6:30PM Irem said

@Grumms
Why? You still have to have the actual item in order to transfer the appearance. Now you can just roll out in your Tier 1 in places other than the main city.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 12:28PM (Unverified) said

I'd see at as less of an admission that a design element has failed and more as an acknowledgement that taste is subjective.
Just let people wear what they want. If all they're after is stats, then make those stats portable.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM