Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 8:06AM goldenhornet said

Absolutely. Even in the midst of an MMO crowd I want to express some form of individuality. Having to look like everyone else because you want the same stats is crazy.

That could explain why my addiction of choice is CIty of Heroes, you can have a unique look unaffected by powerset choice or enhancement. I've never seen anyone with an identical costume to me in 6 years of playing.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 8:16AM Acharenus said

@goldenhornet Absolutely this, If i can see my character at all I want to be able to have control over it's appearance. If you want my money and your making any sort of 3rd person game you'd best have some from of appearance altering system in place.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 12:13PM Celtar said

@goldenhornet

Have to agree with Goldenhornet's points, Jef. I don't feel that the gear is ugly or that the game company failed in that respect. What I feel is that by not giving more customization like what you can do with a text based rpg then it is a fail. :)

No one wants to look like the next guy exactly, a bunch of clone like beings, might as well just play a FPS if that were the case.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 3:04PM ShivanSwordsman said

@goldenhornet

This is too true. My LOTRO Captain doesn't wear super heavy armor. She still wears a red-dyed Christmas set that I got. It also lets people decide if they want to look gaudy or normal. Some people in LOTRO believe the later sets look way too over the top. Like "something out of Warcraft". Well, they have costume slots, and they use them.

I wish they had this in Guild Wars, honestly. I'm so fracking tired of 20 different sets of armor for my characters, all with different inscriptions for different character builds. I'd love to just be able to click and change wardrobe instantly, or have it where I could change the inscription build on my gear and the appearance whenever I wished. Would make the Random Arena so much more fun for my PvE characters.

Let's face it. We all play these games to look cool. I'd rather unlock a cool costume that I could change at any time with no stats on it than be more palette challenged than Kefka from FF6.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 8:09AM Noviere said

I don't think they are essential -- I can still have fun in a game that doesn't have them... but I certainly enjoy them when they are available. Seeing a bunch of characters that look the same is boring. Appearance tabs make player hubs so much more interesting.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 8:10AM (Unverified) said

Dear Blizzard,

Too little, too late..... for me anyway....

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 8:45AM Irem said

@(Unverified)
If I were still playing the announcement would have laid me out slain with joy, but even so, it feels like they're only adding it because they've been forced to by the feature becoming standard enough in other MMOs that players have started to expect it.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 8:48AM toychristopher said

@(Unverified) I know it's irrational but the announcement almost made me a little angry. You finally roll this out when I'm not longer playing and expect me to come back for it?

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 9:36AM Janitor said

• Half a heart
@(Unverified) that's the typical response to Blizzard. I don't think they mind since they have over 11 million players.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 9:45AM (Unverified) said

@Janitor

I could care less if they did ^^

With all the fantastic new games coming at us in 2012, I'm not the one that has to worry :D

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 10:11AM Rayko said

@toychristopher

I'm actually "a lot" angry. WoW is a top notch product but the absolute arrogance of the devs when it comes to these things is infuriating. Like thepiratester said " Too little too late".

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 10:53AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

I have to say that the lack of appearance tab almost made me quit WoW for other games where I can look like I want (LOTRO!), but now that it's coming I'm sticking around to see how it's implemented.

The way I see it is that if the devs gave us all that we want all the time right from the get go, we'd get bored of the game and demand even more outrageous features... this way the delayed gratification factor keeps people interested... or at least that seems to be the idea.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 11:56AM jslim419 said

@(Unverified)

"I could care less if they did ^^"

if you could care less, and you have no intention of playing the game again. then why take the time to make a comment about it?

since you took the time out of your oh so busy life to throw your two cents in on a subject that yourself said that you do not care about at all. i would say that you do actually care about it, and are only throwing up a "F U BLIZZARD!" facade as to look like a cool kid that is with the times compared to the rest of us.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 11:56AM Utakata said

@(Unverified)

It doesn't seem to be really an appereance tab per say. More like simpley paying gold to an NPC for gear you want to change the look of to something else. So it's not something you can switch out of on the fly with a simple UI. It's more "plastic surgery" than morphing....which the latter is my understanding of appearance tabs should really work. And therefore, this all seems kinda half assed to me. That is, something that was designed by devs that where really reluctant to do it in the first place...but have to stave off bleeding subscribers. /shrug

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 12:16PM (Unverified) said

@jslim419

You're so right ^^ FU Blizzard !! ... better? :D

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 12:16PM Celtar said

@(Unverified)

The lack of customization of look, the lack of guild housing or personal housing, things like that matter to a lot of players. Agreed too late Blizzard.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 2:01PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) if not better at least more honest, since I think that would be your response no matter what blizzard did =P

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 2:53PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

Not necessarily, I am a huge SC2 fan. My son and I both are excited for the next expan pack for it. Its the only thing from keeping me from a total Blizzard boycott. If they add cash shops in with their next expansion like D3, then my boycott will begin.

Their money sucking greed tactics make me sick. They need to be brought back down to Earth to the customers level, instead of being at the whim of the shareholders.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 6:27PM Irem said

@Janitor
"I don't think they mind since they have over 11 million players."

And seeing that attitude from the actual developers continuously reminds me that I'm better off not going back. As one sub I mean absolutely nothing to them, but their dwindling player retention rate kind of speaks to the fact that I'm not alone.

They'll probably be the market leader for a long time to come just on the strength of their existing playerbase. If they're happy with that alone, I wish them all the luck in the world, but I'd rather give my money to a company that at least pretends not to take me for granted.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 6:40PM alinos said

@Irem

Yeah the dwindling playebase almost makes me feel like they have been holding onto certain features.

So that they have preventative measure's for when the numbers drop.

Right sir we finished appearance tabs, do we include it with cataclysm.

No, We'll wait till they look like they want to leave and we'll provide them with a tiny incentive to stay.

But sir everyother MMO has this feature now. We'd be stupid not to use it.

I said No, they'll get it when we want to give it to them, not because they want it