Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 9:33AM ilduce620 said

I like the idea of Home, though I use it only rarely. My main problem with it has always been that it has such distinct parts that have lengthy loading times.

If they can produce something akin to that map above that a). actually allows me to walk seamlessly from one side to the other, and b). allows "fast travel so I _don't_ have to walk that far if I don't want to, then it may interest me more. It just seems like it's currently a series of programs organized within a sub-XMB. I want it to be seamless between all those elements. And no loading times!

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 3:17PM Tizmah said

@ilduce620 Yeah, that's the problem with Home. It's not streamlined. If everything was instant, it would have been a much bigger success.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 9:45AM Yellowdancer said

Sony(SCEE) has a hard time understanding UI's or fun. They have a great technical machine but it feels clunky to use. I'm not sure they know how to make home friendly. I'd love to see the next Xbox with a Home environment + Avatars. M$ will kill us with RMT's but at least it will be fun.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 10:02AM PrimeSynergy said

I've always liked Home. I may not use it often, but there was always this air of "this can and will be so much more." 'The internet' can say what they will about it, but Sony never seemed to just give up on it which I really appreciate.

This update sounds really promising and to be honest, I have no reason to think they won't be able to deliver.

If I had one wish/complaint for Home though, it would be that I feel as if the lack of any sort of 'Home Sports' is a huge missed opportunity. If I could launch home then play a game of basketball, football, soccer, etc using my avatar and it played like a legitimately good sports game then I would be playing home all the time. Those sports game wouldn't have to include the kitchen sink either. Just give people some basic stats to choose from so each person could play differently, let them create teams, give them a jersey to customize, and bam. Done. Heck if they wanted to go the extra mile, they could set up seasons and stuff too, but like I said, I feel just a solid, basic sports game would work just fine.

But I digress. This news of a 'new' Home is certainly welcome and I can't wait.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 10:37AM SnarlingWolf said

• 1 heart
How does Sony still have 23 million customers after all the security issues and crappy products? I guess some people just like abuse.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 11:08AM mrantimatter said

@SnarlingWolf
Most people are happy with the product, i've never had any problems with my ps3 since I got it.

As for the security, It sucked, but I place most of the blame on the hackers, and their pirate sympathizers, rather then on PSN.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 11:14AM InkSix said

@SnarlingWolf

My PS3 has never given me one problem. Ever.

And Sony offered me identity theft protection through a security company.

They handled things well. No one I know feels different.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 2:51PM SgtBaker1234556 said

@SnarlingWolf

People forget fast. Most don't really care about their (online) identities until they get theirs stolen.

Throw in some free stuff and people are even happy about the way things turned out.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 3:46PM SnarlingWolf said

@SgtBaker1234556

I guess so. People thinking that them giving out a free identity protection service will help in the future or blaming the hackers instead of Sony for not knowing hackers exist and not fixing the glaring holes in their security people had pointed out.

Consumers amaze me.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 10:54AM StClair said

That map strongly reminds me of Sierra's ImagiNation Network, circa 1995.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 10:55AM stamps79 said

Wait.... Home is still around? LOL

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 11:12AM InkSix said

Looking forward to it. I pop into Home every so often and race people in Sodium 2 now, and I really enjoy it when a specific video game takes over the plaza with mini games and offers in-game items for completed challenges like Dead Island is doing right now.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 11:41AM Arkanaloth said

how long has it been since I logged into home... months... may be up to a year+ by now. I had my doubts about it when I heard of it and I can't say it squashed those doubts. Perhaps these changes will make it a more interesting / inviting environment to kill time with / in.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 2:31PM (Unverified) said

So they're porting Free Realms to the PS3?

I kid, but it's interesting how many similarities there seem to be, at least from a high level.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 4:43PM Orestes said

@(Unverified)

They did quite a while ago actually. Honestly they should just merge the two and be done with it

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 7:49PM SpeedLazer said

...Does this mean Home will have combat? Cause I could really get my head around some open-mall PVP.

Betawatch: November 22 - 28, 2014