Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 5:08PM real65rcncom said

We used to play this game as a kid with a football. An American football.

Although we called it "Kill the Man", and whoever had the ball you tackled them. There weren't even teams. If you tackled them, they got up and had to throw the ball then everyone tried to get it and force fumbles to run into the endzone.

Sometimes we didn't even use a endzone or keep score. We just kept tackling each other and tried to outrun and juke each other.

This game is going to bring back some fond memories of that with a new twist.

Thank you Bioware and nice writeup author.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 5:13PM (Unverified) said

I definitely agree about teams being great for this. Maybe Bioware could have two divisions (pro for teams and am for solo singups). With different divisions everybody could enjoy the Warzone.

This is a pretty different take on capture the flag. I am looking forward to pvping in this Warzone. The spectator mode does not interest me, but I guess some would like to watch rather than play.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 5:15PM real65rcncom said

I will say I hope this stays simple, not as the author suggests though. If they start adding too much stuff onto it, I guarantee the complexity is what will start to make it boring.

Premades will ruin this game probably, as the casual just wanting to come in and group are going to get trounced by (presumably) better gear or stacks of CC classes (that won't be too much fun).

Keep the random element in this and keep the fun in this. Start interjecting too much stuff and it becomes as elitist as any Warband.

Besides, they will have actual PvP zones for premades anyways. Leave Huttball alone please.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 5:31PM jbozah said

Spectator mode coupled with gambling sounds really good. I can't see why I'd want to sit on the stands and watch a game, but if I could drop a couple of credits on a team, then I'd be very interested.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 5:52PM Mtor said

Teams and betting would be cool. However, the stupid cross-faction communication barrier would make stuff like that awkward to pull off in game since the teams can be mixed with empire and republic players.

Yet another reason why it's a bad idea to cut players off from talking to half of the server.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 6:01PM AChu said

@Mtor Just so you know Mtor, cross faction chat is only disabled in a 'Global' chat. Local chat you can talk just fine to each other. So.. local chat and ala BG chat will be totally useable cross faction.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 8:18PM chauncy said

@Mtor That thing about players from each faction being on the same team simply isn't true. You can't mix the teams, but you can play against another Sith team if you're Sith.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 5:55PM BigAndShiny said

• 1 heart
This sounds pretty fun, although it's hardly an 'amazing new concept' or 'revolutionary'- BioWare shouldn't gettoo much credit for it- they're not reinventing the wheel or summin.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 9:33PM RogueJedi86 said

@BigAndShiny

Well why would they want to reinvent the wheel? No one's reinvented the wheel since the wheel was made. You just improve a little on what came before each time. BioWare is taking Capture The Flag and making it into something very unique while still keeping the core gameplay the same. Games that reinvent the wheel just risk losing all the people who liked the original wheel.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 11:02AM epilepticemu said

@BigAndShiny The entire point is that you're NOT supposed to reinvent the wheel. *facepalm*

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 11:24AM (Unverified) said

@epilepticemu

I think the wheel should be reinvented.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 6:14PM (Unverified) said

I think this sounds like fun! I would like to see more things like this in the game, Perhaps something like Team Pod Racing!

Also gambling should be in the game and allow bounty hunters to collect the debts :P HonPopsicle style

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 6:40PM Frostfell said

Just a heads up Larry, I seem to recall that the bit about republic and empire playing on the same team was a misquote that SR corrected - http://twitter.com/#!/Rockjaw/status/104799800821690368

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 8:42PM Yukon Sam said

"If memory serves me, the first MMO that integrated an actual sport into its game design was Free Realms."

Back in my day.... (Yukon Sam leans on his cane and strokes his flowing white beard).

Ultima Online players invented something called Bagball. I never played myself, but my understanding was that it involved a bag stuffed with sufficient weight that nobody could carry it in their pack. Teams would "leapfrog" the bag across the field towards the goal while the other team tried to steal it.

Naturally, this being UO, the game could be called on account of mass murder of the players and spectators.

Eventually, the developers introduced a special Bagball container specifically intended for the sport, and built a Bagball arena in one of the later expansions.

It was nothing fancy, but I believe it predates Free Realms' soccer by a decent margin.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 6:25AM ShawnSchuster said

@Yukon Sam

Also, Tabula Rasa had a boxing ring.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 8:47PM NeoWolfen said

I dont know im not entirely convinced by "Huttball" atm.. if I didn't know Daniel Erickson came up with the idea I may have been wondering if EA's Madden series was coming to TOR lol. Madden's Huttball '11 ugh

Still I prefer not write any minigame off until i've tried it so I guess I'll wait and see if they can sway my opinion when its released.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 12:04AM Verus said

Love the idea of Huttball and I hope we get more odd events such as this!

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 3:50AM Unverfied B said

"members of the same faction cannot be on the same team"

Wat. I think you need to clarify your clarification. 0.o

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 8:48AM (Unverified) said

Your suggestions were dead on. I applaud the thought you put into them. hopefully Bioware read this article and will look at these as things to have included.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 10:57AM Krazed said

Being able to have teams, along with a spectator mode, could easily bring about Huttball championships. This would be a great thing to see in-game. And if there's a little gambling on the side, all the better.
| 1 | 2 |