Posted: Aug 21st 2011 3:23PM Kaoy said

Hey Beau, sorry this is unrelated but I am curious about something. Your articles used to link directly to the games' sites, but recently they have been self referential, like most of the other links you will find in Massively and Joystiq at a large. Is this part of some policy, the site scanning articles for certain phrases and links to related search queries, or something else entirely? It's a little jarring to click a link when you want to look at a game only to hit a lists of posts that mentioned it.

And to cut trolls off: Yeah, yeah, I know, "Google." But still, it makes me question the point of the links at all when you could just use the sites internal search function to get the same list any how.

Posted: Aug 21st 2011 6:37PM potaco said

@Kaoy
I've seen a lot of these types of comments lately, but no response or rationale... I'd like to know the reasoning for this, as well.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2011 12:39AM Kurremkarmerruk said

@potaco

They used to do it where the first link was to the actual site of the game mentioned and then any subsequent links would be to the massively.com tag. This doesn't seem to be the case anymore...

Posted: Aug 21st 2011 3:45PM Bhagpuss said

I second that. I'm always clicking links in Massively articles just to end uo back where I started.

I only spent a couple of hours in Nadirim. It certainly is different. Very attractive graphics. Ran very smoothly too but the combat isn't really my scene and neither is the Arabian Nights setting.

Posted: Aug 21st 2011 3:48PM HiroProtagonist7 said

awww man - don't hate on Vanguard. It's all cleaned up, a ton of fun and one of our only virtual worlds left. Plus, the server just flipped from low pop to medium pop. We need the peeps!

Posted: Aug 21st 2011 4:15PM Beau Hindman said

@HiroProtagonist7 Hate on it? Huh? lol I have been a champion for that game for years. I just don't enjoy their desert area as much as Thestra.

As far as the links in the articles thing....ask management. :)

Beau

Posted: Aug 22nd 2011 6:03PM HiroProtagonist7 said

@Beau Hindman
That was kind of tongue in cheek - an opportunity to say Vanguard and that the pop went from low to medium. Sorry if it came off as a criticism.

Vanguard :)

Posted: Aug 22nd 2011 6:06PM HiroProtagonist7 said

@HiroProtagonist7
I'm not really a fan of deserts either. I hate it when a cool race has a starting location in one. Deserts and snow are easier to render than other types of environments, I think the're waaay over used.

Posted: Aug 22nd 2011 8:26AM ClownyDaggers said

I tried this out last week after reading your Free Realms article (love that game btw), and.... well, Nadirim is not for me, and that's me being as nice as possible.

The battle system was the most interesting part, with a great old-skool feel to it. But... only 3 classes? And no customization when you create your character. And your character model never changes even when you equip new gear. The whole thing just felt like an early-90's game. I know it's still in beta and all but.........

Oh well, off to try Lego Universe :)

Posted: Aug 22nd 2011 11:48PM JuliusSeizure said

@ClownyDaggers

Well, there are two more classes that haven't been added yet.

Betawatch: September 13 - 19, 2014