Posted: Aug 21st 2011 11:00AM Delvie said

It's all about the fun. If you are playing games with a regular group of friends it's not only about your fun but also theirs.

Slot machines are a good example. A friend and I go up the mountain once in a while to play the slots (the gambling towns are in the foothills/mountains here in Colorado). The one time I went up on my own I was headed home within three hours - it's just not as much fun by myself. Another time I went up with a group of friends which was unfortunate as some of the group didn't know when to stop and didn't go up with the mindset that they were going to lose the money.

Then there is MMOs and something called HYPE (hey it's a four letter word, my mom always scolded me about those). It's gotten so bad that there are now PVP Forum wars going on about which of the upcoming games will outdo WoW. I'm just thankful that there are a lot of high quality games coming out in the near future (as opposed to the last two or is it three years).

Some people don't get games of any kind. It always worries me when a microscope zeroes in on a particular MMO and spouts off about some particular aspect. It is especially weird to get these odd facts echoed back at you when you are at a family function. It has gotten better over the years as at least my parents have relaxed about gaming (they were worried that we all were being hmmm led astray). And that is why the microscope worries me - MMORPGs are hugely entertwined worlds and highlighting one aspect just doesn't do them justice in any way.

So it's all about the fun and as long as someone isn't hurting anyone else, why can't we all have our fun?

Posted: Aug 21st 2011 12:53PM Faction 3 said

The title reminds me perfectly of SW:TOR.

Just that reality has'nt set in for some people yet.

Posted: Aug 21st 2011 1:54PM (Unverified) said

@Faction 3

What reality is that?

Posted: Aug 21st 2011 3:39PM Dunraven said

@Faction 3 So how much is Blizzard paying shills these days?

Posted: Aug 22nd 2011 1:05AM Nucleon said

@Dunraven

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury I would like to present "Dunraven" as case-in-point for this article. The prosecution rests.

Posted: Aug 22nd 2011 4:41AM Graill440 said

@Nucleon

lol, seconded. A great many kids and people that consider themselves "adult" have no clue what they mean when they say or type it.

"Shill"....*chuckle*

Posted: Aug 21st 2011 3:08PM Space Cobra said

Agreed with all three points.

But while I do agree about slot machines and how one should view them, I am sorta more in the camp of the friend, but it still dovetails into "return on investment" and that return could be monetary or fun (but I seem to mostly find myself alone in casions on the rare occasion I do find myself in one). Practicality sinks into me: I only spend what I can afford to lose. Gambling is alot like investing in that if you spend big bucks, your winnings will be bigger (but so will your loses), so only gamble/invest in what you can afford to lose (or be without for a time, like socking money away regularly in an IRA, saving account, etc.).

Personally, I like the Nickel and Dime slots. Little to lose, but I've had good winnings. Of course, like any risky investment, one has to have fortitude and "know" when to get out, regardless of greed/dreams of potential more profits: You take your money off the table and be happy with your winnings.