Posted: Aug 18th 2011 2:29PM Matarias said

Dark Age of Camelot, specifically Midgard. I have to give props to LOTRO as well but for me Midgard is my favourite. It really drew me in, I enjoyed the fact that unlike nowadays every little facet of the game world wasn't recorded and available on the internet.

It was a well realised game world with areas that you never really had any cause to go to but that were populated nonetheless. Like in Gotar in some of the back hills there was a small valley that had a little Hill People/Witch camp in it. Perhaps one of my favourite things was on the beach by Naliten very occasionally a giant green water sprite called Kraken would walk out of the water and up the river and then return to the ocean, it didn't drop anything or have any quests related to it but merely existed, adding a layer of mystery to the game world.

Hyboria purely because of the scale (although I hated the way it zoned) and Neocron deserve a mention as well.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 3:34PM mysecretid said

Star Trek Online is probably my personal favorite, but LotRO's Middle Earth and AoC's Hyboria are superior locations too.

I also have a soft spot for the game worlds in City of Heroes and Warhammer Online as well.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 3:37PM Avernus said

Agon, Darkfall
well crafted. Only world I hardly ever used the map in, I recognized landmarks enough to navigate.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 4:16PM raven7680 said

Pre-Cata Azeroth and Middle-Earth, I will also admit to liking Outland quite a bit as well especially Nagrand and Zangarmarsh!

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 6:48PM Yukon Sam said

Ultima Online/Britannia.

The game was built on the lore of Richard Garriott's Ultima series, but it wasn't bound by it. There was a live events team on each shard that interacted with the player communities and establishments to customize events and quests to the shard. Consequently, each shard has a rich roleplaying history and flavor to it; Chesepeake is different than Baja is different than Great Lakes.

No other game has matched the feeling we got when Lord British popped into the Golden Brew after a performance of Alice in Wonderland to thank the players personally.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 7:37PM Bede said

Fallen Earth.

From the dry dusty desert of The Province, to the high plains of Northfields, the canyons, meadows and forests of Kaibab, the deeply mysterious forest of Terminal Woods, the desolation of Deadfall and the eerie, mutated Alpha County, each area has its own flora, fauna and topography and history. There is a definite thematic movement as you explore the world and the stories you encounter reflect aspects unique to the area and the overarching theme of surviving in a world gone horribly wrong.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 11:39PM Roland44 said

As many here have said, LOTRO :)

Though I do have to mention Vanguard...with the graphic effects on High it really did shine, though it ground my fps to an unplayable lvl.

Maybe I should re-visit it now, SOE should really make it F2P imo

(btw - what game is being shone in the Thread Title shot?)

Posted: Aug 19th 2011 1:59PM Kurtz said

I would have to say pre luclin Norrath. By "modern" standards it's Telon from Vanguard or Hyboria from AoC

Posted: Aug 19th 2011 2:53PM Titan1 said

Dereth
Aden
Telon
Camelot
Fallen Earth
Ryzom

If you can't get lost in it, it's not a "world".

Posted: Aug 19th 2011 2:55PM pixledriven said

Shadowbane, without a doubt.

The world was dark and gritty. There were the ruins of elven domination and lost empires scattered all over the landscape.

And the lore.... No game has come close since.

Posted: Aug 24th 2011 11:26PM Lumin said

I haven't played -that- many games, and especially not many subscription games.

Going by lore, I have had the best experiences with WoW and GW1. The lore in GW is such that you really can't go through a campaign without learning at least part of the lore. Lore is more optional in WoW, but there's plenty of it if you bother to slow down and look.

World exploring-wise my top two go to WoW and Perfect World. PW has rather flimsy lore, but it is open world with multiple modes of transportation, flying, and decently believable transitions between zones. At the same time, different zones in the game have their own distinct themes and music which sets them apart from each other. (WoW suffers from zones that drastically change colour and theme as soon as you pass into a new zone. Especially Outland.) An open world and the freedom to explore it on 3 axes are important in order for me to enjoy moving from point A to point B in a game world.

Graphics go to PW and Aion. Aion had passable lore that held up most of the game mechanics (including resurrection andlimited flight.) Zones were fun and pretty to see for the first time, but the closed zones didn't encourage traveling.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 1:53PM heerobya said

I have not yet played a MMO that truly made me feel like I could go anywhere and explore anything.

Ultima Online was close, but with 2D+ isometric graphics... hard to really be amazed by it.

Perfect Ten: Terrible, terrible MMO names

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Stream Team: Anchors away in ArcheAge!

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 1:00PM