Posted: Aug 18th 2011 9:46AM myr said

@myr

Also, evidence Vana'diel is the most detailed world ever, despite XI having released way back in 2002: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iesY1XssACM

And that video doesn't even include footage from WotG or Abyssea areas (though to be fair most of those zones are repeats, there's quite a few new details in there too)

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 11:04AM LA1111 said

@myr

Thanks for sharing that video.

In all my time playing FFXI, I don't think I did even 30% of what the game had to offer

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 9:28AM ScottishViking said

LOTRO's Middle Earth, specifically Moria.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 3:22PM Ardra Diva said

@ScottishViking
moria creeps me out... i get claustrophobic and want some sunlight again! Although it gave me a rush to see the Bridge of Khazad-dum!

Pretty much everything in Lotro is first class, from the Shire to Mirkwood.

I just entered Dol Guldur for the first time last night. Was geeking out LOL.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 9:32AM (Unverified) said

Tyria in Guild Wars. The artistry and history is unequaled. I can still find new vistas and corners, even after 4 years of play.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 9:42AM Malarodos said

Vanguard

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 9:51AM Dracones said

Vanilla Azeroth when WoW first launched. You saw a lot of massive overland RvR fights, usually Crossroads which would then get pushed into Astranaar.

Everquest 1 in the very early stages. Everything was very new and the world felt immense. You didn't have a bunch of websites initially telling you where everything was and putting together "optimal" builds, weapon combos and leveling guides. Adventuring and travel were hard and dangerous.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 4:23PM raven7680 said

@Dracones Ah I remember those days, even on PVE servers open world pvp happened quite often before Blizz ruined open world pvp. I remember watching and sometimes joining in on the fun in Tarren Mill and Southshore....those where good times. =D

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 6:00PM StClair said

@raven7680
"Tarren Mill is under attack!"

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 9:58PM raven7680 said

@StClair
Being Alliance we saw alot of "Southshore is Under Attack" spam...it was scary when I was a nooblet Dwarf Hunter but once I hit 60 it was quiet fun sicking my cat on some Hordies. =D

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 9:58AM Tizmah said

Out of all the 3D worlds...None of them appeal to me as much as Ultima Online did even with it's over head view. There was just so much detail packed into the world from dense forests, to multiple cities, not just little outposts.

I wish there were more cities to explore in MMOs these days.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 10:04AM Gamewench said

I love the environments in AOC, LOTRO, FFXIV and EQ2. I've spent time in each game doing nothing but listening to the ambient sounds ( my foot falls, animals in the distance etc) and just that. No questing, no talking to others, just my thoughts and the game world.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 10:05AM Bladerunner83 said

I really enjoyed Albion in DAoC, Midgard and Hibernia are also nice. Mostly Albion's three zones, Cornwall, Avalon Marsh, and Lyonesse; Before they changed everything. I would farm the zombie knights for hours just to get a full set of lion plate armor. The Catacombs of Corvoda was a favorite of dungeon of mine, even when they neglected to program it with loot. Lastly, I would group up with friends and farm the pygmy goblins out in Lyonesse to PL people. I really miss that game, it's not the same anymore. There used to be people everywhere, now most of these zone are empty. Even though some people don't like grinding, I really miss being able to get into large groups and focus on farming a specific mob for hours. There was downtime, long enough to bullshit while you were waiting for the next group to spawn. DAoC really made the MMO world feel like an MMO, constant social interaction, very helpful people, and cool loot that everyone had a chance at getting. My first glowy weapon was very memorable, it dropped from a Lurikeen NPC in Pennine Mountains; it was all black with a blue sparkle at the end.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 10:07AM GrumpyGnome said

For me EQ will always be my favorite. It was my first, and I still remember the excitement, and trepidation I felt during my first cross country journey into the unknown.

EQ2 also, just for the sheer size of it all, and the lore to go along with it.

And Allods just for the beauty of the artwork.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 3:12PM Ardra Diva said

@GrumpyGnome
I've come to realize over the last decade that your first MMO experience can't be duplicated.

I'll never forget original EQ... picking a wood elf and discovering the elevator that led down to the forest, with that mysterious and foreboding sign, that promised adventures unknown, saying, "To the Faydark --->"

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 10:09AM Lenn said

LotRO, definitely.

Azeroth still has a special place in my heart as well, although I did find some of the zone transitions jarring. Duskwood to Stranglethorn in particular always stood out as "wrong".

The world designers at Turbine did a really good job with zone transitions.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 3:15PM Ardra Diva said

@Lenn
agreed... especially the ride practically straight uphill from Rivendell into the Misty Mountains, and snowy peaks.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 5:41PM Celtar said

@Lenn

That's the thing Lenn, where other game worlds have "locations" I really love, over all the big picture of LotRO can't be beat.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 10:13AM Lateris said

Eve Online, Hyboria, Middle Earth, and Star Wars the Expanded Universe KOTOR era per Dark Horse.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 10:13AM (Unverified) said

Hyboria. Azeroth and Outlands would be spectacular if only they overhauled the graphics to WoW. They are simply too 'cartoon' for me.

Hands-on with Windborne's early access

Posted on Apr 18th 2014 5:00PM

Ask Massively: What's with all the WoW hate?

Posted on Apr 18th 2014 12:00PM