Posted: Aug 18th 2011 11:19AM Kamalot said

• 1 heart
Will this version require a monthly subscription to play?

If so, it will probably flop.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 11:35AM Grumms said

@Kamalot Being Planetside, it won't flop. Unless it REALLY sucks.

Nothing compares to that gameplay.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 11:51AM Geiko said

@Kamalot

The game won't flop unless, as Grumms said, it Really sucks.

The type of gameplay you see in this type of game you don't see anywhere else. MASSIVE battles in zones going on at once where sometimes you have just no clue what's going on. Vehicles going every which way, explosions happening left and right. It's intense. And that's just from the first. The reason the first DIED (not flopped, because it didn't), is because it was kind of thrown to the side of their projects. But it still hold a damn nice playerbase right now.

So no, I doubt it will flop. Especially if they keep going with it.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 12:06PM Kaoss said

• Half a heart
@Geiko Wow that made a whole lot of no sense!

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 12:33PM InkSix said

@Kaoss

Made sense to me. WTF is your problem?

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 6:51PM Xpheyel said

@InkSix I can't say I agree with the premises. I was a "reservist" in Planetside for most of the time it was running. Didn't sell me on $15/month for an FPS though. And I don't think it'll work this time either if that's the way they go.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 11:35AM Capgun said

Squeeeeeeeee

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 2:06PM Daemodand said

Planetside has its hardcore fans, but in the current MMOFPS environment P2 is fighting an uphill battle. They really should be going F2P rather than the 5015 route.

The videos and screenshots have been uninspiring to say the least. I imagine the core Planetside fans will be all over this, but with much more interesting offerings with lower barrier to entry like Firefall (and a host of other F2P shooters that didn't exist when the original Planetside released) it isn't looking good for P2.

I do hope it succeeds for its fans, but they seriously need to rethink the business model to stand a chance in the current MMOFPS climate.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 2:39PM SocksForYou said

I'm looking forward to the game but being an SOE product I assume we'll get screwed no matter what the payment model.

It's either going to be another content-lite MMO with a box price, monthly sub AND cash shop (like DCUO), or a bare-bones F2P that gouges you for every upgrade.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 4:51PM (Unverified) said

Gritty sci-fi realistic primary colors, lol

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 11:27PM Apakal said

@(Unverified)

Can't please everyone. If they went with earth tones, everyone would be complaining about how drab it looks and how everyone looks the same. And on the counter there are people who will make the same criticisms as you.

I'm okay with the colors. Its sci-fi. Who's to say?

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014