Posted: Aug 17th 2011 10:21PM Godsafk said

lol if this is true....

Remeber the story a few months ago about Sean Dahlberg, the SWTOR community manager at bioware that left the company to join faxion....

"Joanne Laroche, the Senior Community Coordinator, recently posted this on the official Old Republic website: "Sean Dahlberg has recently left BioWare. We would like to thank Sean for doing a great job building the TOR Community and we wish him well in his future endeavors!" -Massively.joystiq.com

Ya, he hates his life.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 11:10PM EMH said

@Godsafk

Poor Sean Dahlberg. :(

Kind of a baffling decision to go from one of the most anticipated MMO titles of all time to... well, Faxion Online.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 11:43PM Tizmah said

@EMH Well, from what I gather on his website by a few comments he made, it seems like he went to Faxion to work with some old buddies from Shadowbane.

Is that a good excuse or not? Eh, I wouldn't leave a nice job just for some old buddies. Friends come and go.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 2:46AM bobfish said

@EMH

He went to Faxion as a Game Designer. Personally, I think that's worth the risk, to move from Community Manager to Game Designer.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 8:27AM Popplewell said

@Godsafk Looking at it from a TOR follower's point of view I have to say Dahlberg was a lot better at the job than Stephen Reid.

Dahlberg was always relaxed and easy going and put people at ease.

Reid looks nervous and edgy all the time and really doesn't comprehend PR but luckily for him the game sells itself.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 1:27PM EMH said

@Popplewell

Eh, I like Stephen Reid. We've certainly had more dev posts on the forums since he took over, and he expanded the dev corner section of Fan Friday into a full article on the development of a feature and a Q&A. Also, Dahlberg was terrible at managing people's expectations- he would constantly say "X event will be amazing!" and ignore the natural speculation of a release date that this causes. Stephen Reid is better at avoiding that.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 10:25PM augustgrace said

Not too surprising. I played the game a bit during beta and other than the heaven vs hell gimmick there really wasn't much there. The quality of the game was pretty low, and somehow even then they had already picked up a rather obnoxious player base.

With some triple A games going f2p the trend in quality overall isn't increasing. A few years ago this game's tech/systems may have gotten a pass, but when you can play games like Lotro, CO, DDO and AoC for free, a game this cheaply made doesn't stand a chance.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 10:26PM Sharuk said

That really sucks. :(

Best of luck to them, if true.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 10:29PM Vorender said

No one likes to see anyone laid off. Good luck to the Faxion team, and better luck next time.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 10:30PM LA1111 said

I feel sorry for the team.

I tried the game and it wasn't quite at the level that it needed to be at to be successful. The idea was interesting enough, but the execution was flawed. Performance was not great on high end hardware, and their were numerous glitches.

I wonder what Disney is going to do with it

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 10:58PM hami83 said

I personally liked the game, but I just couldn't run it well on either my netbook or desktop computer and the desktop is suppose to be able to run it.

Either way, it's a shame and I hope these people get new jobs. I'm sure many went to other Disney arms.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 11:18PM dinhosaur said

I think sean dahlberg left bioware because some of his boys from wolfpack studios (shadowbane makers) were working on faxion. Joke's on them.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 12:26AM Space Cobra said

My info on Disney is so-so, but they do seem interested in making an online presence in the gaming field (although they already HAVE a few games out there now). With the Marvel property (and the one already existing contract that it seems Disney has taken over already - Marvel Super Hero Squad) I am wondering just what exactly are there goals (again, since they already have games out there). Is it to monopolize the younger gamers? To set up a Disney portal of games? Maybe cash in even more? Eliminate competition while headhunting AND establish an even bigger game studio?

It's certainly a weird/wild time at Disney now. Even their comic books, that they've outsourced to other publishers since time immemorial they've recently taken away from Boom! and given to Marvel. Of course, this is logical, but Disney=Marvel nowadays so, to me, it suggests they want to do even more in-house.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 1:53AM real65rcncom said

@Space Cobra said: "There is the other side of the rumor we are forgetting: the Disney buying out studios, consolidating, and plundering what they want and letting go of the rest."

This could be true, but this game was horrible. They wouldn't have to come up with reason to plunder this game. It was bad through and through.

Even the MMOhut guy was like.. wow. And he likes anything FTP.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 2:48AM bobfish said

@Space Cobra

Isn't Disney's MMO strategy more accessible / browser based or something? They've let go other MMO devs before and cancelled projects.

Maybe they'll sell off the game.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 2:00AM meda said

that sucks, game wasn't my cup of tea. seems like it was only out for a few months. takes a while for an mmo to build a fan base. maybe the corporate heads should have spent a bit more money on advertising.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 3:38AM whateveryousay said

For what it's worth, I feel for the devs of this game. They were given a ridiculously small amount of both money and time and told, "Make a great game." That's just not the way it works.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 3:22PM Daemodand said

@whateveryousay I don't think it was the time constraints or budget. I think the Shadowbane devs are just out of touch with what works in modern MMOs. All the time and money in the world would not have made a difference. The game just wasn't working out.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 4:03AM scottsummer said

This is a sad asd news

isn't Faxion is developed by the guys from Shadowbane?
man..SB is one of my favorite MMO ever, sucks to see them get laid off
i hope they get hire by major company soon.

Maybe Sean will return to BIoware?

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 5:24AM dudes said

GaHhhhhh sign of the times. Wouldn't be surprised if loads of MMOs shut down soon because of slumps in trade. Darwinism in its full glory.

PAX Prime 2014: Strife learns from the past