Posted: Aug 17th 2011 7:38AM GeneralStobo said

I feel like the market is getting very over saturated. I love a good game as much as the next guy, but the competition is getting pretty stiff and a lot of the big name games arn't even out yet. I guess they think they will be profitable if they are still making them.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 7:59AM eLdritchZ said

@GeneralStobo well the MMO market is a growing one, as more and more people get tired of the 10 hour long B movie quality single player experiences that are becoming standard... and they are making diverse games to capture as much of this crowd as they can.

I personally don't get much thrill out of purple haired bunny ladies but i bet there's some pervs out there who do :P

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 8:03AM Mynsc said

@GeneralStobo
They're treating MMOs like ordinary single player games that get old after a few months and there's already room for another new one to come and keep everyone busy. MMOs have a (much) longer life and it is indeed getting pretty crowded.

Even so, we shouldn't complain... too many choices is the best problem you can have.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 8:03AM (Unverified) said

@GeneralStobo I agree. Making a new IP is risky in itself....but making a new MMO IP...that's downright risking everything.

I love this and I love to see original design MMOs (especially sandbox...) but I can't help but fear for the team. People are finicky as hell.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 9:33AM Apakal said

@GeneralStobo

Its only saturated if you're including every F2P piece of trash that comes across the Pacific.

As it stands right now and in the coming year, you've got maybe 10-15 decent-to-excellent choices ranging the gamut of pay systems from F2P to subscriptions and ranging from sci-fi to high fantasy and everything inbetween.

In the coming year, MMO competition is going to be more cutthroat than it ever has in the past. That might seem overwhelming at first, but once studios start to carve out their niche and/or start pushing their products to do new, innovative, exciting things, it really can only be a good thing.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 10:03AM Ardra Diva said

@GeneralStobo
Age of Conan wasn't the right intellectual property I think, but I personally believe the game world is ripe for a Mature themed MMO.

That would set it apart from the others for sure.

Can't figure out why Rock Star hasn't tackled that, or made Red Dead Redemption an MMO world.

There isn't a AAA western title, which could actually be fun if you gave settlers technology and indians magic. Ghosts and spirits, bandidos and faction wars, the old west has plenty of myth and mayhem to make a good game and I think RDD kind of proved the concept.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 10:20AM fallwind said

@Ardra Diva bump that.... western steampunk!

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 2:19PM Alex Oglitchkin said

@GeneralStobo Well some companies like Perfect World just pump out games that look almost the same as another and make fast money off the cash shop and rinse and repeat.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 8:02AM Plantenbak said

Well at least the trailer is fun! Been a while since I actually laughed while watching a gametrailer. Although it says nothing about the actual game.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 8:38AM Lenn said

@Plantenbak Agreed. It's a fun clip. I'd like to see a full movie in that style, with those characters.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 9:40AM aurickle said

@Plantenbak
Yes, that was easily the most engaging trailer I've seen in a long time. It reminded me much more of a movie trailer than a game trailer and has me seriously looking forward to seeing more about the game.

At the end of the day an MMO is a game and games are supposed to be fun. This... looks... FUN.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 10:04AM Arkanaloth said

@Plantenbak

agreed.. the trailer is fun. Pixar can you guys get the rights and make a movie out of this!?!?!?

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 11:08AM Barinthos said

@Plantenbak

Here I was thinking "ok, it can't be THAT good..."

Yep, it's that good. The voice acting, the humor, the art direction and the characters are all great fun. Gonna keep my eye on this one. Which unfortunately means I'll have to add yet another game to my ever growing list of MMO's. Bleh.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 1:32PM Blyn said

@Barinthos

sounds like some famous voices in this trailer too

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 5:36PM DevilSei said

@Blyn

Aye, the bunny gal was the voice of the princess from Symbionic Titan, Tara Strong, I'm willing to bet. The human rogue-ish type sounds a little like Nolan North (then again, lots of male characters in games sound like him...). I don't know about the rock guy though.

I'll give them this though, the trailer was good old fashion fun, and I can't hate them for that. It makes a really good teaser trailer, and the bits of gameplay I have heard about does sound interesting, so my eye is definitely on this as well.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 6:17PM CitizenH said

@DevilSei

I'm 100% sure the rock guy was Jim Cummings.
AKA: Winnie the Pooh, Darkwing Duck, Thanos on the Super Hero Squad Show and the Savage Dragon.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 7:02PM Sunlover said

@Plantenbak - I have to say, I totally agree. That was really fun, and I'd like to see more as a full length feature film as well! I'm interested in seeing some gameplay (which makes this trailer successful really, it has me interested in finding out more about the game). It really was fun =)

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 8:06AM Mynsc said

There's definitely a Firefly vibe to this trailer. The jokes, the planet and the guitar strings you can hear between scenes. Not to mention that the 3 characters are basically cpt. Reynolds, Jayne and Kaylee when it comes to personality.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 9:51AM Unverfied B said

@Mynsc

Firefly meets borderlands? count me interested.

Also as someone said above i'd love to watch a full movie with that art style and those characters :P

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 10:42AM JuliusSeizure said

@Mynsc

I'd say it's closer to Titan A.E. but that's splitting hairs.