Posted: Aug 17th 2011 7:05PM Vazzaroth said

Great episode! As normal, I had like 10 things I was going to comment on, and just forgot by the end of the episode. I do have to say Asheron's Call sounded awesome, I'm sad I missed it.

It sounds like there were alot of mechanics, and players had many options at any one point. Compared to a WoW-like (Rift was the worst offender I've seen) where your options are: Do damage, Do damage with lightning type, Do damage slowly over time, Do damage after a block, etc. It's different, but arbitrarily so. Things like deciding to pull out a shield to block as a caster but lose most class functionality is a great decision-point, and I hope games add some more of those types of game mechanics that are hallmarks of Tabletop gaming.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 7:58PM ShawnSchuster said

@Vazzaroth
Thanks! There are usually at least 10 things I forget to mention on the show, so we're even ;)

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 8:27PM sjheiss said

I was very interested by Otherland, and am now interested in the books, which I'd never heard of before. You mentioned people rather playing TOR, Tera, and TSW, but out of those 3, the only one I care about is TSW, and only then if it'll be free-to-play or with an unlimited trial like Age of Conan. :)

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 10:12PM Apakal said

@sjheiss

Pretty sure TSW is going to have a sub, though I don't think any concrete details have been given yet. Probably standard rates.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 10:04PM startruck said

@sjheiss they are excellent books, arguably the best Tad Williams has written to date, total page turners full of unique and imaginative concepts.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 11:54PM Valentina said

I'm mostly interested in SW:TOR, and Wildstar. GW2 looks alright so far but..meh lol

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 12:20AM StampyIRL said

Just wanted to mention - I can remember reading the Otherland books back in the 1990s. They pre-date LotRO by probably ten years.

A game based on that story has the potential to be sandbox like we've never seen before - infinite worlds instead of just one. User worlds instead of user cities, etc.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 1:44AM Space Cobra said

@StampyIRL

Well, they may've been thinking about Sierra-Online's effort that never got off the ground for Lord of the Rings.

And I do see Rubi's/Shawn's point; even I was a bit confused by the trailer and what is it we are going to really do. Are we going to "steal" the appearances of NPCs solely or what? So many unanswered questions.

Even if you never read the books (I didn't), there may be potential. I remember getting involved in a specific AOL chat room (RDI/Red Dragon Inn) that had a few cross-themed characters and events that players just enhanced. Space Pilots and Medeival Barbarians, Vampires and more kept coming into the room and interacting just fine in a nice, generally mature, roleplaying area.

Generally speaking, it is up to the designers to make this a fun/easy game to learn/enjoy. If they can do that, people will come running, no matter the theme.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 8:27AM StampyIRL said

@Space Cobra

Nah, you're right. I mostly just wanted to point out some of Tad Williams' spot-on predictions. So far, he's not too far off with where the world is headed.

Anyway, I'm just a huge sci-fi nerd who is into all of this stuff. These weren't my favourite books, but they're definitely worth a read.

Posted: Aug 18th 2011 1:20PM ArcherAvatar said

First, I thought the Wildstar trailer had a great sense of humor, and I'm looking forward to seeing more on the game... (I was a huge Firefly fan and I guess I can see the comparison a little bit... it's a bit of a stretch tho.)

Second, I popped over and checked out the Gamebreaker.tv TWIMMO episode... loved the comment on "Hot Joinable" *chuckle* and it must also be said, way to bring the beard of awesomeness dude!

Excellent job of sharing opinions and MMO information in general Shawn, and I agree with you about the Warhammer stuff... seeing the same writing on the wall...

The Daily Grind: I'll miss you, Vanguard

Posted on Jul 31st 2014 8:00AM

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM