Posted: Aug 17th 2011 5:14PM Dril said

Good, on both counts.

I'll stick my neck out here and say: I have little to no interest in GW2. Sure, I'll pick it up, but I don't think it'll be half as amazing as people think it is and, worse yet, people will stop playing in droves once they realise it isn't the God-King of MMOs. TOR at least has realistic and, importantly, achievable goals whereas GW2 looks to be a lot of hype and not much to show for it (yeah, snazzy trailers are great, but how about some actual high-end gameplay demonstrating the mechanics properly?)

And now: can we please stop bringing GW2 up every damn time TOR is mentioned. It's getting really boring having to listen to people go "yeah, looks great, but ZOMG GW2 IS TEH AWESOMEZ!!!"

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 5:59PM hassaun2006 said

@Dril they have hours of gameplay videos available...and everyone that has played it (professional reviewers and regular folks alike) have had little but positive things to say for it. So....I'm not sure where you're getting this "hype only" viewpoint.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 6:32PM Faction 3 said

@Dril

Yeah, Dril, normally I read your comments and see your point and even agree with you most of the time, but the "Hype Only" thing has you sounding more like Puremallace or Dorkmoone than someone with a shred of intelligence.

Seriously, don't take away my faith in you, bro. Please.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 7:49PM Irem said

@Dril
Most of the people who think it's going to be the "God-King of MMOs" will have found a minor detail to ruin the game for them prior to trying it out and give up on it then. I wish them best of luck, as I do you with TOR.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 9:50PM Greyhame said

@Dril

It always amuses me how much dislike SWTOR gets every time it's brought up here. Reminds me of another MMO when it gets mentioned here.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 5:15PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
a *friend* tood me that the current beta build is too easy as in a person can solo the "heroic 2/4 man quests" , the flashpoints/instances are absolute jokes with no challange and no tactics needed other than bang head on keyboard. The PVP is Stun/slow/knockdown/root heavy with little to no way out, so once you use your 1 anti CC move they chain thenxt on you and get rocked.
The graphics are unique (good or bad is all on the users opinions on this topic) the quests are good when they work and the grind is hidden well within "bonus kill X mobs" for the quest giving you the option to not grind on npc's with every single quest.
The class balance is far from perfect as expected in beta but the cookie cutter carbon copy on either side of the factions is a huge let down as one would like to see some variety. Space combat is TERRIBAD!
Truely this game will not live up to the hype as it is now but some of that is the "hypes" fault not Biowares, there is much needed testing and fixing as simple things like falling through the world still happen far too often, and camera screw ups during RP make is so you are looking into the geometry of a character or better yet open space when it happens in your ship / house. The game will be good for the average MMO player for 3-6 months before they really start wondering what Bioware plans on doing to keep people subbed, for the avid mmo gamer it will lose its luster 1-2 months in at its current build, and the fanbois will like any pile of crap put out simply becasue of the IP (STO is a clear example of peoples ignorance to an obvious pile of poop).
I know people will say "but it is in beta and there is plenty of room for changes", but anyone that has beta tested any amount of games knwos that when a company is only a few short months away from their scheduled release date they will NOT make any changes as at that point its all about fixing bugs ASAP and hoping people are happy with the basics of the game.
Ill play for the first 3 months but from what my *friend* has said its up to bioware to pull some serious stuff out of the hat to keep me subbed past that. I have no doubt that this game after a year from now will be a fun game and have most of the things fixed but what good is that when we all die in 2012 ;P
flame away, i'm wearing my fire suit as anyone telling the truth that people don't want to hear should.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 5:18PM Ashane said

@(Unverified)

Your friend must be low level.

I'd love to see him solo the end planets group quests ;P

I've seen one class do it, and it was recently nerfed.

Being able to solo the level 12-13 2/3 man group quests isnt really special... try it @50, that is if your "friend" is even 50 or even in beta.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 5:45PM Equillian said

@(Unverified)

Definately believe what unverified said. I mean, after all - he's unverified!

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 5:46PM Lucidus said

• Half a heart
@(Unverified) Hype management is the reponsibility of their marketing department... and Bioware's marketing is incredibly bad. Almost as bad as that &#$^ rail shooter.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 6:07PM (Unverified) said

@Equillian

For all of us Unverified brethren, we stand together! Unverifiably!

FYI, I'm totally not that kid up there. By the balls of Thor I'm excited for TOR!

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 8:20PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

Yeah, hits unverified tag is starting to get annoying. Fix it, damn you Massively!

And I have 'friends' in beta too, they were enjoying themselves immensely, in fact 1 of them who was sceptic about SWTOR before has become very enthusiastic after being in beta. Shrug, I think it's just a case of different tastes I guess

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 9:59PM jslim419 said

@(Unverified)

every game has hype.. big games have a lot of hype. i'm sure just as many people are going to be disappointed with GW2 when they find out 60% of what arena net talked about during development didn't make it into release.

hype sells games, without hype you wouldn't sell as many copies as you would need to to recover the initial costs. if even 50% of what bioware has talked about makes it into the final release i will be tickled pink. but that is because i am not a moron that cries when a game company brakes it's promise to give me a farm of gold plated diamond studded ponies.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 5:17PM Venomania said

I must agree with some previous comments. Swtor is not bringing any real innovation to the market, the hype comes from the IP of Star Wars and not the game itself.

If this game was a new IP, run by the same company, it would not even be note worthy. Picture this game with the title RIFT, put all the rift artwork and storyline in it but use this games mechanics. Now, how not impressive or even interesting is the game now. It just feels to me, and you can disagree if you like, that EA are using the SW Ip to make a generic rehash popular. It is in my opinion the huge companies with alot of money behind them, as companies, have a responsibility to push the market forward through innovation. Instead of using the tried and true formula with a well known popular ip which simply stagnates it.

This is all personal opinion though, I've no doubt thanks to the star wars ip the game will be very popular and have a long lasting lifespan.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 6:11PM Venomania said

• 1 heart
@Ren54

I'm more a fan of the mmo market as a whole. I've been keeping an eye on most currently in development. I'm really looking forward to games like ArcheAge, TERA and GW2 who are bringing new innovative mechanics into the fold. These are the games that are going to have impact, not this SW mmo. It's not bringing anything news to the table.

Like I said though, personal opinion. If you really like something you're going to see all the good points and be blind sighted by the negative.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 8:32PM RogueJedi86 said

@Venomania

"It just feels to me, and you can disagree if you like, that EA are using the SW Ip to make a generic rehash popular."

Except this game has been in the works since 2006, years before EA purchased BioWare. EA had nothing to do with this game being made, but they are being supportive in getting it launched as a possible competitor to Activision-Blizzard's World of Warcraft.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 5:21PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
@ashane
1 toon at 45 1 at 50 and a few in 10-20's
hate to tell you tis easy but it is.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 5:29PM Ashane said

@(Unverified)

Then hes pulling your leg. There is no way in the current build hes soloing the group quests at 50. Sorry.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 5:46PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
@Ashane

Im sure there a varying degrees to "group"/"epic" quests at level 50, in which they dont all involve intricate boss battles in the likes of the alderaan world quest line.

It is perfectly feasible that there are quests that involve the work of 2-4 players, that could easily be accomplished through both the skill of the player and the abilities of the class to be done solo.

Its actually quite sad, developers with such large quantities of funds and resources should be the ones leading the industry forward in terms of innovating mechanics, not using the same old mechanics from 1999 and putting VO over it. This encourages other larger and smaller companies alike to replicate/feed off the success of larger companies, leaving the genre as a whole in the same place it has been the past 12 years.....sigh

The PVP sounds horrendous and confirms my suspicions of what it was going to entail. Nearly every class in this game has at least 2-3 forms of CC, and while there is a system in place (kind of like diminishing returns) to balance that out, really all the player has to do is wait 5-10sec for that DR to wear off and have a whole new set of CCs available on the player's desired target.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 5:40PM silver001 said

• 1 heart
Calm down gw2 fans,

Anet made a post saying the following "We did win last year, so we are not eligible this year. It is as easy as that." Which explains why gw2 wasn't nominated and why star wars won, because it had no decent competition (yes i am a lil bias towards gw2, sue me). I do wish that wildstar was nominated it seems like a nice f2p or b2p mmo.

actually i hope it is i will try it so fast it will go dang. I mean come on, i always wanted a bunny girl and now i can live my dream of controlling one.

Posted: Aug 17th 2011 7:35PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
pheeewwww. this explains it. i thought the world went nuts or something.

Betawatch: April 12 - 18, 2014